Is There Legal Action Available?

cruzsnooze

21 minutes ago, whitecap said:

So if, as you have indicated, a large number of people have not received their refunds and it is because Princess is being dishonest and in fact not issuing any refunds, the group should get together and solicit the services of an attorney capable of handling a "class action lawsuit".  The OP has said that her cruise was cancelled in mid March, it is now mid May, obviously 2 months.  I am still waiting for reimbursement from two class action law suits that were settled over a year ago.  At this point, what other choice do you have but to wait?   

Waiting could be very detrimental.  The best route (if available) is likely the credit card chargeback process.  The problem with class actions is that attorneys aren't going to be eager to take a class action lawsuit if the company is facing bankruptcy (i.e. there is no point in winning a lawsuit when the judgment can ultimately be reduced to nothing through the bankruptcy court).  Perhaps there is a good attorney/firm willing to take a class action, however.

What about cruises cancelled by Princess going into Sept.2020? We had a Mediterranean cruise scheduled for Sept. 12. We knew we probably wouldn't be doing it, but decided to wait until final payment was due to cancel on our own & see what Princess might do. Princess cancelled it about a week and a half ago, so there is at least another class - cancelled by Princess into Sept. We took the refund option, but obviously we may or may not see a refund. Fortunately, we only had about $800 into it, plus another $180 for a prepaid Princess excursion (which we hardly ever do--of course, this would be the exception to our usual private excursions!)

29 minutes ago, konatyme said:

What about cruises cancelled by Princess going into Sept.2020? We had a Mediterranean cruise scheduled for Sept. 12. We knew we probably wouldn't be doing it, but decided to wait until final payment was due to cancel on our own & see what Princess might do. Princess cancelled it about a week and a half ago, so there is at least another class - cancelled by Princess into Sept. We took the refund option, but obviously we may or may not see a refund. Fortunately, we only had about $800 into it, plus another $180 for a prepaid Princess excursion (which we hardly ever do--of course, this would be the exception to our usual private excursions!)

Were the ports on your cruise itinerary permitting Princess to visit or were they closed by the local Governments?  No Canada/New England cruises can sail because the border and ports have been closed.  Alaska cruises the same thing.  Do you fall into the class of cruises which were cancelled by the passenger?  If all of the ports are closed and countries are prohibiting disembarkations from cruise ships, is it the cruise line deciding to cancel or is it the governments?

Edited by Daniel A

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Were the ports on your cruise itinerary permitting Princess to visit or were they closed by the local Governments?  No Canada/New England cruises can sail because the border and ports have been closed.  Alaska cruises the same thing.  Do you fall into the class of cruises which were cancelled by the passenger?  If all of the ports are closed and countries are prohibiting disembarkations from cruise ships, is it the cruise line deciding to cancel or is it the governments?

There is nuance involved here.  Using the phrase was “Princess ready, able and willing” to provide the service of a cruise.

1. Ready - will in my situation the ship was heading to Aruba when it needed to be positioned in the Salish Sea (BC/Washington state inner coast).

2.  Able - no as noted by the OP.

3.  Willing - probably not given the potential health ramifications.

If the health authorities said Covid-19 is easily treated with X and the world can get back to business, Princess is still unable to provide the service as their ship is in the wrong ocean.

I called Princess to get status on my refund before I filed a dispute with my bank, the rep said my refund was processed on 5/15. It hasn't posted to my account yet because it was only done last Friday. 

Those that are still waiting, call Princess to get an update

• Like 1

We were booked to do a back to back Alaskan cruise on the Royal Princess leaving Vancouver May 16,2020.

When the pandemic hit and things started closing...I called and cancelled our cruise on March 13, 2020.  We chose to take a full refund for cruise, air and excursions.  Waited and waited for our over $6000 refund...nothing.  First they said it would be 30 days, then 60 days, then said they were processing according to sailing date.  At this point we had been waiting over 60 days.  I contacted American Express through live chat.  They credited my account within 24 hours.  They will handle any dispute with Princess and unless they hear anything by July 16, 2020, the process is done.  Contact your credit card company and let them handle it.  We were very happy with our response from American Express.  We love cruising with Princess and are Elite status. It is , however, a corporation and you do need to protect yourself. After 3 broken promises of the time to expect a refund, we were done waiting.

36 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I called Princess to get status on my refund before I filed a dispute with my bank, the rep said my refund was processed on 5/15. It hasn't posted to my account yet because it was only done last Friday. 

When was your cruise date again,  to get some sense of where they might be in the scheme of things, if you do not mind saying?  

Really hope they were telling you the truth and  then you can move on from Refundgate!!!

Edited by PrincessLuver

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

When was your cruise date again,  to get some sense of where they might be in the scheme of things, if you do not mind saying?  

Really hope they were telling you the truth and  then you can move on from Refundgate!!!

Sorry, I should have included that in my post. My sail date was 4/11, I received the cancelation notice on 3/12 and requested the refund option on 3/13.

22 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Sorry, I should have included that in my post. My sail date was 4/11, I received the cancelation notice on 3/12 and requested the refund option on 3/13.

Almost exactly my situation - cruise 4/11, requested refund 3/12.

Nothing.   They are hopscotching around.  If they are REALLY doing it in sail date order, people would not still be waiting for refunds for March and earlier.

6 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Any lawyers out there can answer this ( or anyone else know) .................Is there any legal action we can take to get our refunds?  I'm waiting for over $12,500 and I'm not happy about it. 

$12,500. Was the total amount charged to your credit card or did you pay for this cruise with gift cards / FCC?

Did Princess cancel this cruise?

Did you or your TA make several attempts to contact Princess cruises to inquire about your refund?

Do you have all the paperwork? Receipts, cancellation, emails with TA & Princess?

Since your credit card dispute was denied there is something missing.

You paid for something you did not receive. 

Taking legal action will be costing you in money and time. Your choice 

6 minutes ago, dog said:

$12,500. Was the total amount charged to your credit card or did you pay for this cruise with gift cards / FCC?

Did Princess cancel this cruise?

Did you or your TA make several attempts to contact Princess cruises to inquire about your refund?

Do you have all the paperwork? Receipts, cancellation, emails with TA & Princess?

Since your credit card dispute was denied there is something missing.

The denial was not for this cruise because I paid for it more then 6 months ago. On another thread I explained the other 2 cruises I booked and cancelled long before final was due and one was denied one was refunded which doesn't make sense. The cruisetour was cancelled by Princess mid march. It was for the Infamous Diamond Princess to Japan July 5. 

Yes I have called Princess at the 30 day mark and told wait 60 days. I called at 60 days and am told they're manually working as fast as they can. I'm getting excuses not a refund or a FCC which I should have both based on how I paid with credit card, FCC and gift card. 

9 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

The denial was not for this cruise because I paid for it more then 6 months ago. On another thread I explained the other 2 cruises I booked and cancelled long before final was due and one was denied one was refunded which doesn't make sense. The cruisetour was cancelled by Princess mid march. It was for the Infamous Diamond Princess to Japan July 5. 

Yes I have called Princess at the 30 day mark and told wait 60 days. I called at 60 days and am told they're manually working as fast as they can. I'm getting excuses not a refund or a FCC which I should have both based on how I paid with credit card, FCC and gift card. 

Too confusing for me

good luck

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I did ask to escalate this but was told once a dispute is closed it cannot be reopened. My citibank visa is tied to my Costco membership so I only use it at Costco or for travel for the rewards. 

I'm not the only one in this wait and hold pattern for a refund that's well over 60 days. 

The fact that your Citibank card is tied to your Costco card (same for us) really

has nothing to do with the fact you could (and I would) call Citibank again and do

what someone else suggested. Ask for a Supervisor or whatever it takes. You DID NOT

and WILL NOT be able to accept what you had paid for. 

3 hours ago, tonit964 said:

It sounds like they are making some progress.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LDVinNC said:

Almost exactly my situation - cruise 4/11, requested refund 3/12.

Nothing.   They are hopscotching around.  If they are REALLY doing it in sail date order, people would not still be waiting for refunds for March and earlier.

I completely agree.  That's why I decided to call Princess to get status before I filed a dispute with my bank. If the refund hasn't posted to my account by Friday, I'll file the dispute.

29 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I completely agree.  That's why I decided to call Princess to get status before I filed a dispute with my bank. If the refund hasn't posted to my account by Friday, I'll file the dispute.

I filed sooner rather later because I was afraid they would run out of money or file Chapter 11 and I wanted a head start.

• Like 1

Please keep one thing in mind. Princess (or for that matter any of the cruise lines) aren't equipped to easily do the mass number of refunds required. Doing a credit card charge back is just going to take the time of someone who is handling refunds to now deal with the charge back. Please be patient. You will get your money back.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Please keep one thing in mind. Princess (or for that matter any of the cruise lines) aren't equipped to easily do the mass number of refunds required. Doing a credit card charge back is just going to take the time of someone who is handling refunds to now deal with the charge back. Please be patient. You will get your money back.

Is that a guarantee?  All the other cruise lines have issued their refunds so that is obviously doable. As I stated, I feel there is the possibility of bankruptcy so I'm protecting myself.

37 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

All the other cruise lines have issued their refunds so that is obviously doable. 

Where did you get that information?  It's my impression that many of the cruise lines are having delayed refunds if they are even offering cash refunds at all.  I have a friend who is still waiting on a refund from NCL.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Where did you get that information?  It's my impression that many of the cruise lines are having delayed refunds if they are even offering cash refunds at all.  I have a friend who is still waiting on a refund from NCL.

Yup, just look at the other forums on Cruise Critic.  All the cruise lines are delaying refunds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonit964 said:

I was refunded my cruise fare for the March 14 Sky Princess  on May 13. When I called Princess on May 11 - sixty days after  the day (March 12) on which I had picked the cash refund option - is when I learned that Princess had processed the credit card return-of-fare on May 7. The Princess rep said to allow for 10-15 business days for the processed refund to appear on my credit card statement. The refunded cruise fare showed up on my CC statement on May 13.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, land lover said:

Totally of topic, just curious OP,  have you received your rewards from your citibank card for your "trip"?

Which rewards? The % will come off next statement assuming the charges are reversed. They did send me a Costco shop gift card for $50 for having to wait so long to get through to a dispute representative. If they get their commission as Princess stated they would then I'll see what portion of that which was dedicated to my OBC they give me since it wasn't part of their equation anyway.