New deposit required with FCC re-booking??

a3593

Mine is a big mess. I selected the option of a 100% FCC after my July cruise was cancelled.  I got $300 in FCC and over $1000 refunded. (???) They said its because I asked for it to be done that way. I didn't.  The FCC form doesn't even give you that option.  So now I have to wait until who knows when for the refund to go back to my card and then turn around and call Carnival and give the money right back to them. Its stupid.  And, I had to pay a new deposit for each cabin!  I know this is a minor annoyance; people are dealing with bigger issues today.  But I just thought that the whole process would be easier. 

When our cruise got cancelled we filled out the form and asked for a refund, but a few days later we saw a cruise in 2022 that looked good so we went ahead and booked it. I had read here on cruise critic that you are required to pay the new deposit with new money so we would have had to pay that anyway, we just missed out on the OBC.  I was going to put the refund in savings to apply to the new cruise when final payment rolls around, but a couple of weeks later Carnival called me to say they were processing my refund and  saw that I had booked another cruise - did I still want the money back or did I want to apply it to the cruise and get the OBC. So, a3593, if you have another cruise already booked maybe you will have the same thing happen. I think they would rather transfer the money then have to issue a refund.

This happened to us. We were originally booked on the Panorama for the June 27th sailing but had not paid the trip off and got a final payment extension until 30 days before its sailing. 

When I had originally booked the trip I did it during one of Carnivals reduced deposit promotions so my down payment was roughly 396 for 4 people which is well under the normal deposit rate. Then the June 27th sailing was cancel and I elected to use FCC for the August 2nd Horizon sailing. When I went to book this I had to pay a downpaymemt equivalent to a booking with no promotion, roughly $1000. My PVP rolled my original DP over to the new booking and I am now responsible for the difference which is due next week and then I have to make final payment by July 1st. Its confusing but its works out.. Plus I have some good OBC.. My PVP did call me last night to remind me to make the remaining DP payment so i dont get canceled..  

It happened to me on my first canceled cruise. Rebooked and was told to pay $250 deposit. I think it was just whoever took the call trying to get the extra cash upfront. Had another cruise canceled and called again with my Held Cruise info. Everything was applied to new cruise and nothing extra out of pocket. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, a3593 said:

Did anyone have to re-pay the deposit when booking with a FCC? That doesn't make any sense---if I have a credit why not just make it easy and just use the credit??

This is how I avoided paying a new deposit to use my FCC:

I went online and shopped around for a replacement cruise first and put it on hold.  When booking online, click on 'Pay in full' and you will see the Hold option.  This will provide you with a booking number. Then I called Carnival's 1-800 number. My original cruise was paid in full,

1,481.28 (cruise fare + taxes, fees & port charges).  My new cruise is 1,471.28.  The rep explained that the FCC is the portion that would normally have been a non-refundable cancellation penalty, specifically my deposits which were $500 (250/pp). I was told this comes from the Admin. Team and would be applied to my balance once processed. (My $600 OBC will show up at the same time.)

- 500.00 FCC 

=971.28

The 971.28 was transferred from my original booking and was applied immediately to my balance.  The $10 difference between the 1,481 and 1,471 will be refunded back to my credit card.

So I didn't have to put down any additional cash, and at the moment my statement looks like this until the 500 comes through, then it will be paid in full:

=500.00

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2020 at 2:52 PM, a3593 said:

Did anyone have to re-pay the deposit when booking with a FCC? That doesn't make any sense---if I have a credit why not just make it easy and just use the credit??

No. All of the Customer Service Agents are different and not exactly familiar with the policy changes.. but they should be able to transfer all of your money instantly. No re deposit needed.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jperry2011 said:

No. All of the Customer Service Agents are different and not exactly familiar with the policy changes.. but they should be able to transfer all of your money instantly. No re deposit needed.

This is a very good point worth repeating. I have lost count how many times I have called Carnival over the years, usually concerning a price drop, only to be told they couldn’t do that. As soon as the call is over, I call back again and the majority of the time the second person takes care of the issue right away. I don’t think Carnival is doing anything wrong other than having some employees who are way more experienced than other employees, which is common in most businesses.  

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 7:13 PM, springssparrow said:

When our cruise got cancelled we filled out the form and asked for a refund, but a few days later we saw a cruise in 2022 that looked good so we went ahead and booked it. I had read here on cruise critic that you are required to pay the new deposit with new money so we would have had to pay that anyway, we just missed out on the OBC.  I was going to put the refund in savings to apply to the new cruise when final payment rolls around, but a couple of weeks later Carnival called me to say they were processing my refund and  saw that I had booked another cruise - did I still want the money back or did I want to apply it to the cruise and get the OBC. So, a3593, if you have another cruise already booked maybe you will have the same thing happen. I think they would rather transfer the money then have to issue a refund.

Rcl you have to pay the new deposit, not on carnival. In fact carnival allows you to transfer over your old taxes and fees, which rcl doesnt allow. If the fcc covers more than the fare, leftover can be converted to obc.

Very easy process on carnival.

Firefly 333, it must depend on your PVP or whatever agent you talk to.  We were required to pay a new deposit (and then received a refund of our OLD deposit, on my credit card).  Looks like it would've been easier to just transfer it...

29 minutes ago, pcvtmom said:

Firefly 333, it must depend on your PVP or whatever agent you talk to.  We were required to pay a new deposit (and then received a refund of our OLD deposit, on my credit card).  Looks like it would've been easier to just transfer it...

I also did what the above poster did. When I picked out the new cruise , it had the cabin I wanted and something popped up did I want to place a hold on it.

Just the very next day carnival cancelled my june cruise. I gave it all to my ta, he got a fcc tracking # and I had told him a lady said i could transfer my fees and taxes over... was a e day hold, just popped up, didnt know how to make it, just lucky.

The next day he transferred it all over and i owe maybe $50. He followed up the next week with the fcc tracking number and it was all there. Maybe i did have to pay another $50 idk. But it's not final payment yet, it's for oct. It just went smoothly. He says booking carnival not his speciality but went smooth. And what are the odds carnival would announce the very next day. I just said sure about the pop up to hold it, nothing to lose if it expired in 3 days.

Meanwhile he is still labouring over my rcl bookings lol, moved all 3 to different better deals and now a lift and shift. Crazy stupid on rcl. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/24/2020 at 8:03 PM, firefly333 said:

Rcl you have to pay the new deposit, not on carnival. In fact carnival allows you to transfer over your old taxes and fees, which rcl doesnt allow. If the fcc covers more than the fare, leftover can be converted to obc.

My TA says that for every new Carnival booking  using a FCC, a fresh deposit has to be paid, and only then can the FCC amount be added to the new booking done with fresh money.

She said her agency has been taking fresh deposits from all customers with a Carnival FCC.

She just now phoned Carnival to re-confirm that a fresh deposit is required as on 19 Dec 2020

• Like 1

• drsel changed the title to Does Carnival require a fresh cash deposit for a new booking using a FCC, if your FCC is almost the entire (new) cruise fare?
5 minutes ago, drsel said:

My TA says that for every new Carnival booking  using a FCC, a fresh deposit has to be paid, and only then can the FCC amount be added to the new booking done with fresh money.

She said her agency has been taking fresh deposits from all customers with a Carnival FCC.

She just now phoned Carnival to re-confirm that a fresh deposit is required as on 19 Dec 2020

I've done 2 and the old deposit transferred, or mostly. I think one I had to make up the difference but on neither did I make a all new deposit. Even my stock obc transferred., a year in advance., for some odd reason 37 was refunded last time which I'll have to repay, my ta says he has no idea why. 

I have had three cruises cancelled.  One rebooked, and had to pay a new deposit.  The second, rebooked, had to pay a new deposit, it was cancelled again, and I rebooked, had to pay a third deposit.  I asked if there was a way to not have to pay a new deposit, and was told no, I had to pay a new deposit. 

36 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Sounds like a TA policy and not a CCL policy.

I agree,  I just canceled an April 2021 cruise that was booked originally with fcc from an April 2020 cruise that was covid canceled by Carnival. I just booked a November 2021 cruise using the April fcc and also kept my $600 obc from my original 2020 cancellation. This,by the way, was done through my TA, not through a Carnival pcp.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 7:57 AM, jperry2011 said:

I think this is the answer for why it's a little different each time. There doesnt seem to be a fixed set of rules. I sure hope my next sept goes. No more cancels and rebooking.