WAY EARLY QUESTION

So we are booked for next February out of San Juan. I notice that the ship doesn't leave until 7:00 p.m. I assume this is to accommodate the same-day fliers.

I am planning for Friday or possibly Thursday to San Juan. How early do they start boarding process?

Wondering about lunch in the steakhouse. Is it open for lunch for this cruise? How does one go about getting a reservation or can you just show up?

5 minutes ago, josephmz said:

So we are booked for next February out of San Juan. I notice that the ship doesn't leave until 7:00 p.m. I assume this is to accommodate the same-day fliers.

I am planning for Friday or possibly Thursday to San Juan. How early do they start boarding process?

Wondering about lunch in the steakhouse. Is it open for lunch for this cruise? How does one go about getting a reservation or can you just show up?

Boarding still 11: 30 - 12. Lunch at Chops is hit or miss depending on how many have embarkation day lunch included with  the Key,  

Edited by taglovestocruise

2 hours ago, josephmz said:

Chops lunch is normally available to book in your Cruise Planner. 

3 minutes ago, karena1 said:

We always get to the port by 10:30 and as soon as they open it up, we are on the ship.  Normally by 11:30.  Going again in Oct so will see how fast we get on.

Are you sure that's the best approach going forward?  We have always done the same thing, getting to the port around 10:30 and then we are always in a crowd.  Perhaps it's better to wait until 12:30 or 1:00 to avoid crowds.

6 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Are you sure that's the best approach going forward?  We have always done the same thing, getting to the port around 10:30 and then we are always in a crowd.  Perhaps it's better to wait until 12:30 or 1:00 to avoid crowds.

doesn't bother us, we will still be there early so we can get on the ship as soon as it opens

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, karena1 said:

doesn't bother us, we will still be there early so we can get on the ship as soon as it opens

We always also arrive at the port by 10.30am and have never been in any line at all we’ve always found check in to be pretty empty we are checked in immediately and normally on board about 11.00am

• Like 1

I'm booked on Freedom out of San Juan in March (7th). With The Key currently only $12.99 in the cruise planner, we grabbed it because it includes Voom Surf & Stream for both of us and lunch at Chops on boarding day (likely in the MDR though).  We plan on getting to the port early, we are staying in old San Juan prior to the cruise and unless they change things and go to mandatory assigned times to board, we'll get on as soon as they let us.  I have a tropical mask just waiting to be used in the waiting area, lol. 

Edited by rockmom

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Boarding times were suggestions in the past, I can see them being strictly enforced in the post pandemic future. 😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 3

Two strategies in San Juan.  The first is the same as most other ports...get their at 10:30-11:00 and board as early as you can, as noted above.  Start your vacation on the ship ASAP.  The second strategy is to treat boarding day like a port day.  Check out of your hotel, leave your luggage at the hotel, and spend the day doing something (forts, beach, etc.).   Pick up your luggage from the hotel and board later in the afternoon.  All depends on how you want to spend your time.

We just did PR last January.  Got to port around 11 am.  As we were pulling up in taxi from our hotel, the line was long to get into the door, but by the time we dropped our bags with the porters, we were inside and checking in within minutes since the line was moving fast.  

We usually fly in the day of, since it is quick non-stop for us out of Orlando.  This last time we stayed over the night before, but won't do that again...was not worth it and could not sleep comfortably.  If I was flying in from the cold north...with weather to deal with...yeah, then I would most definitely would come in the night before.  

When we fly in the day of....we are usually to the port by around 1-2 pm.  Very easy check in, very fast....no lines.  

We were on the Freedom for 6 weeks before the pandemic. The ship was cleared and usually started boarding new passengers around 10am.

* Traffic in and out of the Pan American cruise terminal can be really bad if there are 2 ships there at the same time.

* Freedom has 2 muster drills.

Note: No one really knows what RCCL will do when cruising starts again.