Oceana off to Newcastle

wowzz

36 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I’ve not managed to get a definitive answer but the two comments made were ‘long term layup’ and ‘bye bye Oceana’.

This would appear to align with the previously reported theory that the fly cruising schedule will be much trickier to restart.  Therefore, if this is true, Oceana may be redundant for the time being.

Strangely enough, Oceana could end up being Iona's substitute if she has been damaged (let's hope not of course!)....there would need to be a fair few cancellations if so though!

2 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

This would appear to align with the previously reported theory that the fly cruising schedule will be much trickier to restart.  Therefore, if this is true, Oceana may be redundant for the time being.

When the Dubai fly cruises were cancelled they bought her back for round trip Southampton cruises. Mainly the Canaries. 

Avril 

4 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Strangely enough, Oceana could end up being Iona's substitute if she has been damaged (let's hope not of course!)....there would need to be a fair few cancellations if so though!

Even with repairs, Meyer intend to deliver Iona this month.

Currently the big stumbling blocks to restarting are a) FCO don’t travel instructions and b) Foreign countries not relaxing rules for UK. The later should resolve in less than a month as most of Europe are 2/3 weeks ahead in the pandemic and always have been from the start. Hopefully then the FCO will revise their guidance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Even with repairs, Meyer intend to deliver Iona this month.

Currently the big stumbling blocks to restarting are a) FCO don’t travel instructions and b) Foreign countries not relaxing rules for UK. The later should resolve in less than a month as most of Europe are 2/3 weeks ahead in the pandemic and always have been from the start. Hopefully then the FCO will revise their guidance.

Fingers crossed, thanks! 

I do worry in particular that at the start of the pandemic, Cruise Ship travel was discouraged by the FCO prior the "don't travel" general instruction.  I am hopeful that P&O and other companies have been working to see the restrictions lifted pragmatically i.e. we don't have a phase where foreign travel is permitted (+/- quarantine) but Cruise Ship travel remains banned.

One person I do feel sorry for is Jane McDonald - out of a job at the minute 😴

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

It appears that Oceana is currently en route to Newcastle. 

Anyone got any ideas as to why she is heading in that direction?  

Floating nightclub to relieve pressure on the Bigg Market as lock down is eased!

If Cummings can do it Why not Oceana.

There are 2 terminals at North Shields,1 for the daily DFDS ferry to Amsterdam but the cruise ship dock is idle.

MSC,TUI,Cruise and Maritime and Fred Olsen use N Shields so no problem for Oceana sailing the mile up the Tyne to the Terminal.

Alternatively they could anchor in the South Shields or Tynemouth bay.

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

There are 2 terminals at North Shields,1 for the daily DFDS ferry to Amsterdam but the cruise ship dock is idle.

MSC,TUI,Cruise and Maritime and Fred Olsen use N Shields so no problem for Oceana sailing the mile up the Tyne to the Terminal.

This is the MSC Magnifica docked 8-9-18 in Newcastle (North Shields)

IMG_20180908_164331.jpg

Edited by grapau27

11 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Fingers crossed, thanks! 

I do worry in particular that at the start of the pandemic, Cruise Ship travel was discouraged by the FCO prior the "don't travel" general instruction.  I am hopeful that P&O and other companies have been working to see the restrictions lifted pragmatically i.e. we don't have a phase where foreign travel is permitted (+/- quarantine) but Cruise Ship travel remains banned.

One person I do feel sorry for is Jane McDonald - out of a job at the minute 😴

I believe she had already quit her Cruising program at the end of 2019.

The original FCO advice was only re passengers 70+/extremely clinically vulnerable. There was no blanket ban as there is at present except to China then North Italy.

56 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We were only joking. It all stems from silly jokes being bandied about on another thread concerning building our own cruise ship. It's all good fun to lighten the mood.😉

Avril 

I think they were reading us yesterday saying how nice the coastline is up here and decided to take a look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Might make some nice photo opportunities if she anchors off Marsden Bay.  

If she can go up the Tyne as far the centre, you could take some photo's with the bridge in the background and tell everyone you're in Sydney!

• Like 3

She is due at Northumbrian Quay at 5 tomorrow. There is no departure date indicated.

In the present circumstances there would be no other ships using the berth.

IMG_1576.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Forums

10 minutes ago, emam said:

So where will be best to see her. Head to the wild place that is wet and just down from there. Is there somewhere to see her sailing in.

North Haven South Shields to see the sail in. Then down from wet and wild there is a car park (in Grahams photo above).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Newcastle is a strange place to go, unless Fred Olsen are wanting a closer look at her to decide if she is suitable to become their new flagship.

Excuse me!  We are not all strange in Newcastle. 😉😃

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, emam said:

So where will be best to see her. Head to the wild place that is wet and just down from there. Is there somewhere to see her sailing in.

Either South Shields pier or North Shields fish Quay.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

She passed the baton on to Susan Calman a couple of months ago. Wonder if she had a premonition of the pandemic! 

Thanks, quit whilst she was ahead I would agree!l  Always made me laugh when she tried on the ridiculously priced jewellery just because she could!

Just seeing a Jane McDonald repeat on Channel 5 catch up - wish that job was openly advertised 😅 but Susan Calman should be a good presenter too.

As one of the last to cruise on this under maintained ship I hope that she’s going to a scrap merchant. 
I’m sure many people have many happy memories on her but to see how she was unloved and in need of some TLC was shameful. 
When P&O were a real British Flag Carrier they made the painful decision to scrap one of the icons of British cruising, the Canberra. The reason for scrapping, if memory serves me correctly, was that they didn’t want people’s memories to be tarnished because it became too impossible to maintain and keep it up to a high standard. Better to end on a high. 
They also didn’t want to sell it to another cruise line for the same reason as they knew the standards on this iconic ship would never be maintained.

Unfortunately, I think that Carnival will try to squeeze every last cent out of this vessel.

1 hour ago, swjumbo said:

As one of the last to cruise on this under maintained ship I hope that she’s going to a scrap merchant 

Which ship are you meaning? More than one has been mentioned. 

Avril