Rumor: NCL's restart cruise is a 4day at end of Sept. Will Celebrity follow with it's 1st cruise at end of Sept also?

fstuff1

thats the current rumor about ncl's restart: One 4day cruise at end of sept.

which means no cruises in August. And except for that 1 cruise, no cruises in sept as well. :o

and there's a pic to support this rumor in the ncl subforum. (ncl has asked facebook ncl groups to delete that pic, so it might be gone on cruisecritic by the time you read this.)

if Celebrity believes in that rumor, do you think they will follow suit and skip August and Sept (except for 1 short restart cruise) as well?

or see opportunity and start cruises earlier? (i hope they start earlier, like in August! and get a big jump on their competition.)

Edited by fstuff1

I think that if there were to be August cruises for RCL or Celebrity they would have announced it related to specific ships and embarkation points like Carnival did a few weeks ago.  So no to August.  I definitely think there are hints of late Sept. and into October though.  Time will tell.  I think we will really know more one way or the other on July 24th.  

3 hours ago, MEcruzr said:

Unless they have already placed provisioning orders nothing will cruise before the first week of September. 

That is a factor that I hadn't thought of.  The time frame for ships sailing from Florida would be less, but for anywhere else in the world, the provisioning needs to be in the works already.

I think that Celebrity will try to offer cruises on Apex and Edge in September .

These ships are more efficient, offer a superior X image and can demand higher fares...

Pure speculation of course but I think the M-class ships will be the last to set sail again, perhaps late November or early December.

Royal may start earlier to test the waters before allowing Celebrity to take ships out of "cold" storage.

I doubt that the entire  X fleet will be sailing until 2021.

Just my two nickels worth... we don't have two cents to rub together up North...

5 minutes ago, Argo. said:

I think that Celebrity will try to offer cruises on Apex and Edge in September .

These ships are more efficient, offer a superior X image and can demand higher fares...

Pure speculation of course but I think the M-class ships will be the last to set sail again, perhaps late November or early December.

Royal may start earlier to test the waters before allowing Celebrity to take ships out of "cold" storage.

Just my two nickels worth... we don't have two cents to rub together up North...

Not sure our American friends will get the “two cents” comment, but it made me smile.  I agree that fleetwide sailings will probably not happen until 2021.  I sure hope so, as we have a Reflection and a Silhouette cruise booked for the spring.

41 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I had the same thought about provisions...how dry must that pipeline be now for fresh food and produce, etc...?  

Those are not the problem since they are sourced in the ports the cruise visits.

The problem is all the meat, seafood, dry goods, supplies and paper products are sourced in Miami and shipped worldwide.  Those orders are generally locked down 60+ days in advance, since it takes a long time to source, put in shipping containers, put on a cargo ship and sent to Rome or Singapore or Hong Kong or ports around the world.

11 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Those are not the problem since they are sourced in the ports the cruise visits.

The problem is all the meat, seafood, dry goods, supplies and paper products are sourced in Miami and shipped worldwide.  Those orders are generally locked down 60+ days in advance, since it takes a long time to source, put in shipping containers, put on a cargo ship and sent to Rome or Singapore or Hong Kong or ports around the world.

The main port provisions were what I meant...FLL and Mia as you speak..that much food just doesn’t appear within a week or two...as you say..it’s just another wrinkle in the start up..lots of moving parts..

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

The main port provisions were what I meant...FLL and Mia as you speak..that much food just doesn’t appear within a week or two...as you say..it’s just another wrinkle in the start up..lots of moving parts..

Yep.

Lots of moving parts.  And a huge one that no one knows what will happen with yet.  What the CDC does with the no sail directive.  

6 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

They better not wait till then.  I have a cruise for August 9th.

If it is FL based, not a problem.

Anywhere else in the world, unless those provisions are well in process, could be a problem.

32 minutes ago, Argo. said:

I agree with your thoughts regarding Apex and Edge being the first to sail, though I think they will probably not start until October. The E class ships have advanced technology which I think might be enhanced to help with detection of potentially sick guests.

We are booked on the Apex Inaugural TA on October 22 and IMO, it will probably be one of the first cruises. I also agree that not all ships will return to service before 2021.

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

If it is FL based, not a problem.

Anywhere else in the world, unless those provisions are well in process, could be a problem.

It is.  Sails out of Fort Lauderdale.  The only port that'll be closed will be Cayman.

8 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

It is.  Sails out of Fort Lauderdale.  The only port that'll be closed will be Cayman.

You should have no problem.  And if it is a 7 day, they don't even need to re provision fruits and vegetables.

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Even if the rumor turns out to later be valid, why do you feel that this would impact an operational decision by another cruise corporation (RCCL)?  

i stated the reason in my OP

I'm starting to think that the fall is when it will restart. That was the rumor I heard a few months a go that they would be canceling until then... 

With that said the CDC order does expire on the 24th of July. This does leave some hope for cruises leaving out of Florida starting Aug.

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Even if the rumor turns out to later be valid, why do you feel that this would impact an operational decision by another cruise corporation (RCCL)?  

35 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

i stated the reason in my OP

Not as far as I can see. Rather than providing your rationale, you asked readers whether they think Celebrity would follow suit.

15 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

if Celebrity believes in that rumor, do you think they will follow suit and skip August and Sept (except for 1 short restart cruise) as well?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

With that said the CDC order does expire on the 24th of July. This does leave some hope for cruises leaving out of Florida starting Aug.

Expire unless it is renewed.

Which I fully expect. Things are getting out of hand in a number of states, including mine.  I wouldn't sail in close quarters with anyone from my state without contact tracing.  

• Like 1

A lot of talk about provisions.  Does anyone on these boards actually know if any provisions have or have not been ordered?  Not guessing - but actually know?  I know people have connections so if you are one of those people, what have you heard?

I can tell you that I am in contact with a couple of crew members and they have heard nothing from Celebrity about when they might be called back to work.  

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Not as far as I can see. Rather than providing your rationale, you asked readers whether they think Celebrity would follow suit.

"see opportunity and start cruises earlier"

ie: get a jump on the competition

1 minute ago, fstuff1 said:

"see opportunity and start cruises earlier"

ie: get a jump on the competition

Hmmm, there was a question mark at the end of that that phrase, which was an apparent continuation of your "do you think" question, but if you thought that you were providing your reason, so be it. It's all good.