Just chill and relax!

cruizergal70

I know that everyone wants to get back to cruising. I truly understand that. I'm supposed to be on a transatlantic European cruise right now. Obviously it was cancelled due to all the Covid stuff.

With that said, are there any other people who are just chilling and relaxing and who are NOT stressing or concerned about when the cruise industry will return? It will happen when it happens. As we can't control it, why stress?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

"Covid stuff?"  Its a serious virus.  Over 400,000 deaths worldwide.  Serious - not a joking matter.

I don't believe the OP was trying to make a joke in her post.  I think we all know it's serious and not a joking matter.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

So folks have multiple stressors and choose to add unnecessary vacation stress?

I can only speak for myself, but travel in general, and not just cruising, is what makes my work stress bearable.  I've been cooped up alone in my house, trying to do my job with no assistance or support, and no social outlets.  So yes, not being able to get out and do something is an additional stressor.  Another thing is I'm not getting any younger and I have a heart condition.  Waiting years to travel may not be a possibility for myself and other older CC members.

Edited by Roz
  • Like 5

I agree, when the cruise industry returns it returns and whatever changes happen they will happen and I can adjust. I am sad about not being able to travel it is probably my biggest joy in life. I content myself with planning future trips but also looking at what I can do locally. Just a few days ago I visited places around my city that I somehow never been to be before  and they were lovely places that I can't believe after all these years I have never visited🤗.

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, clo said:

But you CAN travel, just not cruise. Yet.

I guess I should have said travel internationally as our government has basically put all the world on the "do not travel list". Though domestically it is difficult too as states either have closed their borders or expect you to do 2 weeks quarantine. A few weeks ago we couldn't even travel 50km beyond our place of residence (that was why I discovered a new part of my city🤗) . Now at least travel within my state is an option. I already have a trip planned out and will do it next month. Even if the international borders stay closed till the end of the year I will still find a way to satiate my travel bug😜

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

I guess I should have said travel internationally as our government has basically put all the world on the "do not travel list". Though domestically it is difficult too as states either have closed their borders or expect you to do 2 weeks quarantine. A few weeks ago we couldn't even travel 50km beyond our place of residence (that was why I discovered a new part of my city🤗) . Now at least travel within my state is an option. I already have a trip planned out and will do it next month. Even if the international borders stay closed till the end of the year I will still find a way to satiate my travel bug😜

Ah, so it sounds like Australia is being smart. I seem to remember that England has domestic restrictions. And, yes, we've done some drives also.

1 minute ago, clo said:

Ah, so it sounds like Australia is being smart. I seem to remember that England has domestic restrictions. And, yes, we've done some drives also.

I don't think it will be much longer till all the state borders should open. Already two states have pretty much put a date on it baring any new infections🤞.

• Like 2

My stress levels are low.  I'd rather spend my time considering what I still have instead of what I might have lost due to the COVID fuss. 

I won't set foot on a cruise ship in the absence of a vaccine or if CV-19 burns out like SARS and if it means I never cruise again I can live with that.  There are other and safer ways to see the world when travel resumes.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Roz said:

Waiting years to travel may not be a possibility for myself and other older CC members.

While not really likely, “Waiting years to travel” IS a possibility - perhaps even an unavoidable necessity. There is a difference between something being not wanted  and not possible.  

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

There is a difference between something being not wanted  and not possible.  

Not sure I understand what you're getting at, but thank you for the sentiment.

We aren’t sweating the return of cruising, but do have two booked that we know we will cancel.  Cruising without a vaccine would be hugely stressful for us, so our rule is no cruising until one is widely available and in use.  Until then it’s staying close to home and later, some car travel.  Once cruising opens up and vaccines in use we’ll book our favorite VRBO on Hawaii for a few weeks as our first big vacation, and watch to see how cruising is panning out.  Realistically we don’t expect to travel for about 2 years... bummer as we’re mid 60’s but still feel lucky because we’ve had some pretty great travel over the last 12 years which is when we started having true vacations vs just traveling to visit family.  And hey, it gives me some time to drop the Covid quarantine-weight before I need to wedge into my bathing suit. 😎👍

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

We aren’t sweating the return of cruising, but do have two booked that we know we will cancel.  Cruising without a vaccine would be hugely stressful for us, so our rule is no cruising until one is widely available and in use.  Until then it’s staying close to home and later, some car travel.  Once cruising opens up and vaccines in use we’ll book our favorite VRBO on Hawaii for a few weeks as our first big vacation, and watch to see how cruising is panning out.  Realistically we don’t expect to travel for about 2 years... bummer as we’re mid 60’s but still feel lucky because we’ve had some pretty great travel over the last 12 years which is when we started having true vacations vs just traveling to visit family.  And hey, it gives me some time to drop the Covid quarantine-weight before I need to wedge into my bathing suit. 😎👍

Cruising for me is not a necessity .

I have enough stress coming at me from work that COVID has actually taken a back burner. Not being able to take a vacation this year is so far down my list of concerns haven't thought about it. No, not stressing about when traveling and cruising come back. I do however, have a vacation week reserved in July and in my spare time am eagerly planning my staycation. 🙂 

On 6/14/2020 at 6:12 AM, Roz said:

I can only speak for myself, but travel in general, and not just cruising, is what makes my work stress bearable.  I've been cooped up alone in my house, trying to do my job with no assistance or support, and no social outlets.  So yes, not being able to get out and do something is an additional stressor.  Another thing is I'm not getting any younger and I have a heart condition.  Waiting years to travel may not be a possibility for myself and other older CC members.

Hang in there Roz.    Crystal balls aside, who know for sure when and how things will reopen.  I know that Mrs Ldubs also is missing international travel.  We can only do our part and wait and see.     

• Like 1

It seam to be like dangling a Carrot  in front of the Rabbit.....

All I would really like is the cruises lines put a peg in the sand......

and Say cruising will not start until March 2021 or something like that......

Then at least one can plan ahead.... and for something to look forward to.

Cheers Don

On 6/14/2020 at 6:12 AM, Roz said:

Exactly.  Anticipating and planning a next trip helps get me through the day.  And yes, we are not getting any younger.  Only so many trips left.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cwistyred said:

Exactly.  Anticipating and planning a next trip helps get me through the day.  And yes, we are not getting any younger.  Only so many trips left.  

We planned a two week RV trip from Northern Calif. to Northern WA and back.

I am chilling and relaxing. In the end, the cruise either goes or it doesn't. What is more stressful is the mental strain it has on kids. Socializing is a big part of their life. Now the concern schools aren't going to be open in the Fall is bothering them. If they open, they are thinking of half capacity, alternating each week who is in school and who is home for online. I have already told my daughter if it happens, she can invite her friends over so they can socialize and do online classes. There will be rules on it and since it is the start of high school grades are more important than ever. 

The only reason I would worry about our cruise not going is that it will be 2.5 years between good vacations for the family. Last Summer's vacation was ruined because of getting laid off from work. We still went, but it was very stressful and not as enjoyable as other trips. We have taken short weekend trips, but that is more of a getaway than vacation. 

We are not tying ourselves up in knots over this.   We travel frequently and we miss it.   We certainly are not going to get on the book, cancel, rebook, FCC treadmill that some are on.  When and if cruising comes back is when we will think about it.

I really cannot envisage us taking a cruise before late 2021 or 2022.  Other travel yes, cruising no.  It is hardly the end of the world.  When we start to feel sorry for ourselves we just think of those who are in the hospital on respirators or those who have lost loved ones to covid.  Compared to that, our burden is non existent.

I think people need to get over themselves and get on with life.   

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2