Royal looking to liquidate a significant portion of its global fleet?

1 minute ago, Hoopster95 said:

Ovation & Quantum already scheduled for 2021, no need for RCL to have a Radiance Class ship in Alaska.

Can those ships do the one way sailings also?  I am planning to sail on the Radiance next June and part of the reason is so we have some pre-cruise time in Alaska.

3 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Can those ships do the one way sailings also?  I am planning to sail on the Radiance next June and part of the reason is so we have some pre-cruise time in Alaska.

I've never been to Seward so don't know. Can someone else chime in?

Of course, you may get 8/10 answers here that Quantum Class too big for Seward (just like we all did for a year or two that Q Class cannot fit into Endicott, or into the "inside passage" or to many other "smaller" ports.... all b.s. answers). Of course Ovation went everywhere that Radiance Class went to, so I'm betting that Seward won't be an issue.

I'm giving RCL a 0.01% chance of coming into Vancouver on a regular 2 week schedule.

One way would be from Seattle imho

Edited by Hoopster95

31 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Yes Radiance can do one ways between Seward and Vancouver. Oh I see you were asking about Quantum size ships, not sure on that.

Edited by Jimbo

17 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Aren't they using two Quantum ships up there next year as well

Ovation, Quantum Roundtrips (Seattle) Radiance(oneways) and Seranade Roundtrips (from Vancouver)

Edited by Jimbo

10 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Can't do that due to PVSA - that's why they use Vancouver.

Oh boy... DUH! My bad.

Correct, no one ways from Seattle to Seward, regardless if they stop in Victoria (or Vancouver) or not

Although Ovation of the Seas has called at Vancouver - so have Norwegian Bliss and Joy, I think only once each - there is currently no ship larger than Holland America's Koningsdam scheduled to sail from Vancouver in 2021. I don't know whether it is a limitation of the Port of Vancouver (bridge height? pier length?) that affects this, or whether no cruise line judges that the market is sufficient for a larger ship.

29 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Although Ovation of the Seas has called at Vancouver - so have Norwegian Bliss and Joy, I think only once each - there is currently no ship larger than Holland America's Koningsdam scheduled to sail from Vancouver in 2021. I don't know whether it is a limitation of the Port of Vancouver (bridge height? pier length?) that affects this, or whether no cruise line judges that the market is sufficient for a larger ship.

We sailed on Ovation from Vancouver where the bridge is very near the pier. There was a 30 minute window for us to leave at low tide. If you miss that time, you wait for the next low tide. Not something they would like to do weekly.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I wonder how many do the B2B on Radiance. 

Some do it to cut down on the long flights to back home  from Anchorage, most flights are less money from Vancouver and Seattle too.

Edited by Jimbo

4 hours ago, Beardface said:

Vision Class (RhapsodyOTS) - 23 years old

Radiance Class -  16-19 years old

Sovereign Class (Majesty OTS) - 28 years old

Millennium Class - 20 years old

They're all getting up there and would not be shocked at all to see them all gone after this COVID period is behind us.  Radiance Class is the only one where maybe they won't scrap them right away, but the Vision and Sovereign class are probably all but done.  Millennium seems to be a good candidate to get outright sold given the introduction of the Edge and Apex.

We would be very sad to see the radiance class no longer sailing with RCL.   We love this size ship.   Especially the Serenade and her sister the Jewel.    they are our favorites.    Quantum class (anthem) is probably the largest we like.    There are plenty of activities to do but not feel too large like I do when on Oasis class. 

33 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I wonder how many do the B2B on Radiance. 

I have.  It was especially wonderful because the NB leg was 9 nights to get it on track for the weekly runs.  (it was the first Alaska cruise after coming from Australia)

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Some do it to cut down on the long flights to back home  from Anchorage, most flights are less money from Vancouver and Seattle too.

Curious if there would be a market for a 2 week cruise out of Seattle 

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Curious if there would be a market for a 2 week cruise out of Seattle 

Royal wouldn't like it at all because it would kill their pre and post land tours they market from Seward and Vancouver. People pay alot of money for those tours and really get little in return, much better to do a DIY land tour. A better value, but the typical cruiser doesn't know that.

It's easy money for the cruiseline, give them a bus ride and hotel room. Not much else is included in the price that is really high. Everything else is extra or on your own.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Royal wouldn't like it at all because it would kill their pre and post land tours they market from Seward and Vancouver. People pay alot of money for those tours and really get little in return, much better to do a DIY land tour. A better value, but the typical cruiser doesn't know that.

You do what you need to survive. 

Brave new world out there

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You do what you need to survive. 

Brave new world out there

Longer cruises may be a thing of the past during these times for a long while...............7 days at the most and get you off the ship as soon as possible may be the new norm.

A few years back (maybe 4 or 5) Majesty was announcing her final sailing 3 or 4 times. We wanted to do her final sailing and ended up re-booking her several times for that last one. Still waiting for it.

Did Monarch's final, that was lots of fun, and some tears. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SniS7UdxXPQ 

Sailed on Serenade in January. Monarch was with us in Panama (first pic)  and Colombia (2nd pic). She looks too good to go to the scrap yard.  :classic_sad:

Monarch 1 20 20.jpg

MN and SR 1 20 20.jpg

15 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Longer cruises may be a thing of the past during these times for a long while...............7 days at the most and get you off the ship as soon as possible may be the new norm.

Yep, but I was thinking more long term

We would be very sad to see the radiance class no longer sailing with RCL.   We love this size ship.   Especially the Serenade and her sister the Jewel.    they are our favorites.    Quantum class (anthem) is probably the largest we like.    There are plenty of activities to do but not feel too large like I do when on Oasis class. 

They would not be able to sail out of Baltimore if they sold all those ships. RCCL ships larger than Radiance Class can’t do that port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pumbaamd said:

We sailed on Ovation from Vancouver where the bridge is very near the pier. There was a 30 minute window for us to leave at low tide. If you miss that time, you wait for the next low tide. Not something they would like to do weekly.

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure that I had it right - there are other ports where bridge height is a consideration, and I don't think that the largest ships use them regularly, if at all. I suspect that when the very large ships use Vancouver, it tends to be at one end or the other of a repositioning cruise, but it appears that lines more often reposition ships on Alaska itineraries to Australia or Asia, not to U.S. ports.