Refund on card with zero balance

zorky12

Anyone know what happens if you get a refund on a paid off card? I have a $4300 refund coming from carnival any I already paid off the credit card I used. I don’t really want a negative balance. Do credit cards typically give you a check in the mail for over payment?

I just got a refund on a paid off card and have a negative balance.

While I haven’t tried yet I would think they would send you a check for the money if you call.

Mine was only a deposit of $500 and my wifes car was just hit so I’ll use that negative balance for my insurance deductible.

Good luck and let us know how you make out

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, we had a refund that got us to a few dollars credit on a card that we rarely used. After a year of not thinking about it they automatically mailed us a check. I'm sure you could request the check sooner.

I have a credit card that about $3600 in airfare was refunded to. It just shows as -3600 and I have been using the card for my day to day shopping, etc.  I am sure I could request a check be cut to me, but I will just continue to use the card.    

• Like 1

I had a card with no balance that was refunded and that left me with a credit balance.  Instead of asking for a check, I just started using that credit card for everything.  It's really the same as writing a check for your expenses.

• Like 1

My refunds are going to leave me with a negative reward points balance.  I am hoping it will just show as negative until I use the card enough to make up the points.  Hoping I won’t have to pay for the negative points.

That’s a question you have to ask your credit card company. Most likely they will tell you that you can request to have a check mailed to you. But again, no one here can answer the question, because it depends on what your credit card company’s policy is. 

On 7/7/2020 at 11:11 PM, zorky12 said:

Anyone know what happens if you get a refund on a paid off card? I have a $4300 refund coming from carnival any I already paid off the credit card I used. I don’t really want a negative balance. Do credit cards typically give you a check in the mail for over payment?

I transferred it to my checking account. Simple.

Most banks can just just do an EFT to your bank account. If you already have a payment account set up they'll send it to that account. Otherwise they will cut you a check and you'll see it in a week to ten days.

Take care,

Mike