Not So Fast......

jetsfan58

Cruise Critic readers and listeners, I hope you all are doing well. As we continue to hear the reports about Carnival Corporation starting to liquidate some of the "older" fleet we have to ask ourselves the question?

What happens if Carnival would decide to sell of all of the "Fantasy" Class ships? That would mean that Ports such as Jacksonville might have to close due to the height restrictions of the Bridge that is in the sail away path?  They would not be able to accommodate larger ships? This may also mean that some of the smaller/seasonal terminals (Mobile) might also be effected? 

Your Thoughts?    

I would say that Carnival is well aware of the instances that you mentioned. But it all comes down to money and the virus. Most of the Fantasy class ships are approaching 30 years of age. The cost of keeping these old ships afloat is probably quite costly. Think of owning a 30-yr old car that continuously  runs week after week, barely stopping. Things will eventually start breaking down. And parts may not even be available for ships that old. It's time to put them to bed.

• Like 2

Since I stopped sailing the Fantasy Class ships 15 yrs ago because they were old and tired to me, I think it's a great move.  I can drive to Tampa and sail Celebrity Constellation if cruising resumes, or drive to MIA or FLL for a Conquest, Dream or Vista class ship.  If I fly to SJU it would be to board an NCL or Celebrity ship (Summit).

It's probably a great move by Carnival to put these old clunkers into retirement.

• Like 1

Some cities, such as Jacksonville, can relocate their ports to accommodate the needs of the cruise line should they want to retain their business partnership. The cruise line will do what is best for them -- not the local market or the consumer.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 3

There's demand for much less capacity now, and by the time it comes back Carnival will have the Mardi Gras and her sister which will backfill half the berths lost to the Fantasy Class (they're THAT much larger).  So dumping the Fantasy Class makes sense from a fleetwide capacity perspective.

As for ports, there will likely be more focus on drive-to ports than the fly-to-cruise model, which means South Florida and maybe Port Canaveral require fewer homeported ships, which means some of those ships can be re-deployed to ex-Fantasy Class ports.

Another thread mentions reduced capacity on ships for the next 24 months; if Carnival only sells 60% of its cabin capacity then a 3,000-berth ship becomes a 1,800-berth ship, and you'd have fewer berths out of a place like Mobile than you had pre-Covid with a Fantasy Class.

Spirit Class ships will be in high demand for bridge-constrained/size-constrained homeports, but the press is reporting that post-Covid, cruisers will want to stay closer to home, so there would be less demand for the Carnival Journeys-type trips the Spirit Class otherwise sails on.

So I can see how taking some or all of the Fantasy Class into retirement now would put Carnival into a right-sized capacity position for the next few years.

• Like 1

If a ship is sold, I don't see Carnival in an hurry to replace it with a newer ship, unless it was planned to replace it with a new build. And one large ship can't be in six places at the same time, so can't replace 6 smaller ships.

Losing some ports of embarkation and some ships will just be collateral damage. It’s unfortunate, but if that’s what required to return to profitability as soon as possible, then that’s what Carnival will do. 

Thanks for your great view points. We alI realize that the Carnival Corporation is a corporate entity purposed with satisfying their Board of Directors and profitability goals. I am hoping that these are cash sales so that Carnival can offset whatever current and on-going debt that it is/has incurring and/or incurred.    

We were initially drawn to the world of Carnival Cruising many years ago. The main factors were because they always provided a family value at a great price. In my opinion, a much better value that most of their major competitors. Successful businesses rely on critical mass (ample supply numbers) to generate profitability. With Carnival now liquidating some of their fleet how will they make up for that lost "Critical Mass?" 

Will you be comfortable with them raising (maybe nearly doubling) your "Cruise Vacation Prices" . Never Say Never!!!

What Say You?    

Personally, I love the Fantasy class. Yes, fewer amenities.... But that is off-set by less crowded public areas and fewer children. (I'm not a kid hater) so just give me a pass on this. It is probably inevitable that prices will increase, but I still think a cruise is a bargain vacation. I recently came across an old booking document from about 20 years ago; we don't pay significantly more now. An argument can be made that service has declined as well as many cost saving moves that have lessened the upscale experience we once had. But I understand CCL will need to make unpopular business decisions to literally stay afloat. I just want to sail again as soon as can be done safely; and sadly it may never be on a Fantasy class ship.

• Like 2

If they continue to base ships in all of the current ports, that would mean some ports would no longer have three or four based there.  And if there was more/still strong demand for the remaining ships, they could/would be able to raise prices from those ports...  EM

12 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Thanks for your great view points. We alI realize that the Carnival Corporation is a corporate entity purposed with satisfying their Board of Directors and profitability goals. I am hoping that these are cash sales so that Carnival can offset whatever current and on-going debt that it is/has incurring and/or incurred.    

We were initially drawn to the world of Carnival Cruising many years ago. The main factors were because they always provided a family value at a great price. In my opinion, a much better value that most of their major competitors. Successful businesses rely on critical mass (ample supply numbers) to generate profitability. With Carnival now liquidating some of their fleet how will they make up for that lost "Critical Mass?" 

Will you be comfortable with them raising (maybe nearly doubling) your "Cruise Vacation Prices" . Never Say Never!!!

What Say You?    

I think the biggest challenge Carnival will face in the future is how low can they keep their fares. Personally I think that is Carnival’s biggest appeal, the product they offer at a great price. While there are other cruise lines we cruise on because in my opinion they offer a better experience overall than Carnival does, we have frequently cruised on Carnival because of their competitive pricing. If it gets to the point in the future where Carnival no longer has a price advantage over its competitors, I doubt we would continue to cruise on Carnival. 

• Like 1

I think it very likely that some of the Fantasy class may be part of the sell due to age but also note that Carnival Corporation covers many brands such as Princess, Costa, Holland America so it is likely the 13 ships will be the oldest spread out over many lines and not just one class from Carnival.

Everyone is really all over the place on this topic and no one knows for sure.

Two Fantasy class ships serve Long Beach and are ALWAYS full. Some speculate that they may decommission them for the Miracle\Splendor etc. 

But those the Inspiration Imagination fit a niche for first time cruisers and low price point. We take the three and four day cruise several times a year. The ships are always full.

I doubt they get rid of those itineraries from the west coast any time soon much less taking both of the Fantasy class ships from Long Beach. (Well, maybe one but that's TBD)