If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

9 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I don't quite understand why the ADA has anything to do or say with vaccinations? Can someone please explain?

The ADA requires a reasonable accommodation as long as it does not substantially change the course of a business.  So, our local grocery store offers a special hour in the morning for people who do not/cannot wear a mask, or the option for carside pick-up.  Those are reasonable accommodations, and the courts have determined that they can then require masks at other times.  Our local hardware store does not, and I've heard several people say, "I have a disability."  That's the end of the conversation.  I'm not sure how it would work on a cruise; maybe a separate floor of the ship, designated seating at least 6' away from the general seating, last dinner times or one particular dining MDR area for those covered under the ADA.  I am sure that there is going to some sort of reasonable accommodation made -- maybe even a separate-but-equal cruise where passengers sign away any claim of liability (haven't read all the fine print, but probably lines are already covered there.)

Historically, lawsuits have favored the ADA-covered individual who can show violation or refusal to make a reasonable accommodation.  A few years back there were several ADA "Lawsuit Factories" by individuals filing 500 or more ADA-non compliant suits against mostly small businesses.  Search Tom Frankovich, for one of the most egregious.

Hope that answers your question.  We have a household member with an ADA-covered disability.

25 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

Whee-doggie! I'm gonna have a GREAT vacation.....all snuggled up in my latex pajamagram sitting in my cabin! I can't wait!  🤣

At least with where you live, you are only a few minutes from the Gulf, a water view and a beach. Who needs a cruise.  There’s probably a few Texans who would gladly switch with you.  Especially these last few days. 

9 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

At least with where you live, you are only a few minutes from the Gulf, a water view and a beach. Who needs a cruise.  There’s probably a few Texans who would gladly switch with you.  Especially these last few days. 

My DS lives in Texas......-1 last night and 2.5 days with no power or water. It was 48 in their house last night! They have power now, just no water yet. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

The ADA requires a reasonable accommodation as long as it does not substantially change the course of a business.  So, our local grocery store offers a special hour in the morning for people who do not/cannot wear a mask, or the option for carside pick-up.  Those are reasonable accommodations, and the courts have determined that they can then require masks at other times.  Our local hardware store does not, and I've heard several people say, "I have a disability."  That's the end of the conversation.  I'm not sure how it would work on a cruise; maybe a separate floor of the ship, designated seating at least 6' away from the general seating, last dinner times or one particular dining MDR area for those covered under the ADA.  I am sure that there is going to some sort of reasonable accommodation made -- maybe even a separate-but-equal cruise where passengers sign away any claim of liability (haven't read all the fine print, but probably lines are already covered there.)

Historically, lawsuits have favored the ADA-covered individual who can show violation or refusal to make a reasonable accommodation.  A few years back there were several ADA "Lawsuit Factories" by individuals filing 500 or more ADA-non compliant suits against mostly small businesses.  Search Tom Frankovich, for one of the most egregious.

Hope that answers your question.  We have a household member with an ADA-covered disability.

Yeah, I'm not sure how applicable the ADA is for a couple reasons.

First, the actual disabilities that medically prevent mask usage are really narrow.  Mostly basically psychiatric issues.  All the specialty physicians groups recommend masks for people with respiratory issues, as they are particularly at risk of COVID, and their disease is not a contraindication to mask usage.

Second, It's a health issue.  It puts others customers' health and safety at risk, so pretty sure businesses are allowed to deny entry based on masks, even if disability prevents their use based on safety reasons.  

from CDC:

image.thumb.png.923b2f0e173f1730b00e0fe66e9b3f39.png

I feel there is a REALLY REALLY EASY low hanging fruit of a joke in there just waiting to get made, but probably crosses the line on forum rules.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

My DS lives in Texas......-1 last night and 2.5 days with no power or water. It was 48 in their house last night! They have power now, just no water yet. 

Hopefully as her house warms up she has no broken pipes. Got a message from a friend of mine in Houston. He has a full  home generator but his neighbours are not doing so well.  He said a couple more days of poor weather and it should be over. 

Do Texans not have water because of frozen pipes or electrical outages at the pumping stations? 

We lost water once because of an extended freeze and a burst pipe. It was so funny, I went out to pick up the newspaper and wondered why the driveway looked like an ice skating rink? I glanced at the paper and there was a big photo of someone's frozen water faucet on the front page. I tossed the paper on the table and went to fill the carafe for coffee. And there was no water:classic_rolleyes: 

I opened the front door and looked at the frozen pond again. And it all sort of clicked......oops. That particular outside faucet pipe and bib, now wears pipe insulation all year round. :classic_biggrin:

But other than that we don't ever lose water, even with the PSPS, Public Safety Power Shutoffs (Rolling Blackouts to you folks) Power is never shut off to essential utilities. It sounds like Texas needs to do a little more prep/planning work. <jk> :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin: And carbonized windmill blades are not the problem, insulation is. 

Edited by Coralc

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how applicable the ADA is for a couple reasons.

First, the actual disabilities that medically prevent mask usage are really narrow.  Mostly basically psychiatric issues.  All the specialty physicians groups recommend masks for people with respiratory issues, as they are particularly at risk of COVID, and their disease is not a contraindication to mask usage.

Second, It's a health issue.  It puts others customers' health and safety at risk, so pretty sure businesses are allowed to deny entry based on masks, even if disability prevents their use based on safety reasons.  

from CDC:

image.thumb.png.923b2f0e173f1730b00e0fe66e9b3f39.png

I feel there is a REALLY REALLY EASY low hanging fruit of a joke in there just waiting to get made, but probably crosses the line on forum rules.

Costco does not let anyone in without a mask.  If you have a health issue, you order online!

53 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Hopefully as her house warms up she has no broken pipes. Got a message from a friend of mine in Houston. He has a full  home generator but his neighbours are not doing so well.  He said a couple more days of poor weather and it should be over. 

My brother lives in Houston and has a whole house generator too.  Not a lot of people have them down there.

34 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Do Texans not have water because of frozen pipes or electrical outages at the pumping stations? 

We lost water once because of an extended freeze and a burst pipe. It was so funny, I went out to pick up the newspaper and wondered why the driveway looked like an ice skating rink? I glanced at the paper and there was a big photo of someone's frozen water faucet on the front page. I tossed the paper on the table and went to fill the carafe for coffee. And there was no water:classic_rolleyes: 

I opened the front door and looked at the frozen pond again. And it all sort of clicked......oops. That particular outside faucet pipe and bib, now wears pipe insulation all year round. :classic_biggrin:

But other than that we don't ever lose water, even with the PSPS, Public Safety Power Shutoffs (Rolling Blackouts to you folks) Power is never shut off to essential utilities. It sounds like Texas needs to do a little more prep/planning work. <jk> :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin: And carbonized windmill blades are not the problem, insulation is. 

So, when a water producing facility loses power, the systems quit working, and the water flowing no longer is treated.... so out of an abundance of caution (for good reason), they at minimum put out a boil order.  Moving water, requires A gravity, and if it has to go up hill, B pump, and if you are a plumber pay day is on Friday.  These are the things you have to know to deal with plumbers. 😉. Pumps require copious amounts of electricity.  At which point, some homes no longer have any water... so boiling is not even an option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Both.  Some water systems lost power some are frozen pipes.  While north Texas gets freezing temperatures central Texas, and Houston don't get much freezing weather.  All the time I lived in central Texas we never had weather this cold.  A night here or there below freezing, one time an ice storm with a day below freezing but then it always warmed back up.  The houses are not built with that much cold in mind.  We would cover our outside pipes, maybe drip a faucet on an inside wall that got cold, open up doors under sinks and call it good.  The main lines and pipes to the homes are not that deep in the ground because the ground does not freeze.   A lot of homes are pier and beam which means there is a space under the floors which can cause pipes to freeze.  Some homes have washers and dryers in the garage.  It would have been hard to prepare for this much cold for this many days.  Without water people can't drip their faucets to keep them from freezing.  Plumbers will be very busy in the following days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

Both.  Some water systems lost power some are frozen pipes.  While north Texas gets freezing temperatures central Texas, and Houston don't get much freezing weather.  All the time I lived in central Texas we never had weather this cold.  A night here or there below freezing, one time an ice storm with a day below freezing but then it always warmed back up.  The houses are not built with that much cold in mind.  We would cover our outside pipes, maybe drip a faucet on an inside wall that got cold, open up doors under sinks and call it good.  The main lines and pipes to the homes are not that deep in the ground because the ground does not freeze.   A lot of homes are pier and beam which means there is a space under the floors which can cause pipes to freeze.  Some homes have washers and dryers in the garage.  It would have been hard to prepare for this much cold for this many days.  Without water people can't drip their faucets to keep them from freezing.  Plumbers will be very busy in the following days.

And for those with slab foundation most of the plumbing is in the attic including the hot water heaters.  We lost power today and if it hadn’t come back the plan was to drain the lines as best as possible.  Next if we lost gas would have been to partially drain the hot water heater.  Another freeze is coming Thursday evening. 

43 minutes ago, Sail n Snow said:

And for those with slab foundation most of the plumbing is in the attic including the hot water heaters.  We lost power today and if it hadn’t come back the plan was to drain the lines as best as possible.  Next if we lost gas would have been to partially drain the hot water heater.  Another freeze is coming Thursday evening. 

Where do you live? Obviously not Singapore. :classic_smile:

6 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, when a water producing facility loses power, the systems quit working, and the water flowing no longer is treated.... so out of an abundance of caution (for good reason), they at minimum put out a boil order.  Moving water, requires A gravity, and if it has to go up hill, B pump, and if you are a plumber pay day is on Friday.  These are the things you have to know to deal with plumbers. 😉. Pumps require copious amounts of electricity.  At which point, some homes no longer have any water... so boiling is not even an option.

You forgot and don’t bite your fingernails. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

You forgot and don’t bite your fingernails. 

Good point, but I am not sure the plumbers follow that rule.  Just joking.  Plumbing is a very important job in society, and unlike many college graduates, they make a really good living.

• Like 3

On 2/17/2021 at 12:26 PM, boscobeans said:

At any venue on board, no amount of washing or Purell will prevent you from getting infected if you don't sanitize after adjusting your chair and are comfortably seated... 

Just think of what is on the arms or fabric of chairs and other seating... 

other places are menus, salt and pepper and sweetener holders.

Just DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE WHEN OUT AND ABOUT. Easy peasy. Since this pandemic started, I trained myself early on to scratch my face, if I have an itch, with the inside of my blouse or Tshirt. I NEVER EVER EVER touch my face when I'm out and about in public areas and that is everywhere with the exception of my own home. Hand washing is key also but you can not do that during every waking minute of your day. Soooooooo, just don't touch your face. Done!

• Like 2

On 2/17/2021 at 2:03 PM, lizzius said:

Of all the things I've read on this board that make me just want to shake my head in disbelief, this combo right here is just spectacular. Vaccines are about risk reduction, especially when they don't necessarily infer sterilizing immunity. If you know you are allergic to ingredients used in a vaccine, and (spitballing here) have a 50% chance of anaphylaxis (which carries a 2% chance of death in the wild, and slightly less than 1% in a medical setting), there are very few cases in which it would make sense from a personal risk calculus to take such a vaccine. Better to wait for one less likely to cause an allergic reaction... I'm not a doctor, but doctors have a much better handle on the likelihoods of certain outcomes and are much better equipped to help a patient perform a risk-benefit calculation than you and me. Perhaps avoid giving medical advice on the internet.

I said, "if it were me" and I truly mean that. I am not giving advice, just offering what I would do if "it were me." With that, it is up to the individual to decide what is appropriate for them. But, if it were me.........................

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2021 at 8:31 PM, Incognito1 said:

Thank you.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I said, "if it were me" and I truly mean that. I am not giving advice, just offering what I would do if "it were me." With that, it is up to the individual to decide what is appropriate for them. But, if it were me.........................

so, “if it were you” and you had significant allergies and your doctor told you to NOT get the vaccine as it might kill you, you would do it anyway....just at the hospital where they could give you an Eli-pen when you have a reaction and hope you don’t die......just so someone else could cruise again.     mmmmm-k

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

so, “if it were you” and you had significant allergies and your doctor told you to NOT get the vaccine as it might kill you, you would do it anyway....just at the hospital where they could give you an Eli-pen when you have a reaction and hope you don’t die......just so someone else could cruise again.     mmmmm-k

And it's not just cruising. Some circles are calling for vaccination requirements for travel of any sort, entry to large events, etc. 

31 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

The J&J Vaccine is not supposed to have PEG.  

23 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

The J&J Vaccine is not supposed to have PEG.  

Yep, which is why it would be unwise for someone to get one they are allergic to, against their doctor's suggestion. You'll probably have to go back a few pages to see that little gem.

Edited by lizzius
  • Like 1

I will not be getting an experimental “vaccine.” And I am not an anti-vaxxer person. I get a flu shot every year and my children were vaccinated for all normal childhood diseases just as I was. No, for me, what I have read about this medication is just a bit too disturbing. 

So, if that means that I cannot cruise then so be it. I will get my money back and use it somewhere else. I wouldn’t want to take a cruise with a multitude of health restrictions, anyway. For me, that ruins the whole point of a vacation. I just can’t imagine having to wear a mask on a cruise. Ugh. 

I understand other peoples’ point of view on the vaccine and other restrictions and if they are ok with that stuff that’s fine. It’s just not for me.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1