TA service charge when your cruise is cancelled

bobk57

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

and Princess is still paying their commission (according to the webinars)

Only if final payment has been made.

No commission if there was only a deposit, no matter how large.

Of course when the FCCs are used for a future voyage a commission will be made, but if you use a different TA for the future voyage, it is the different TA that gets the commission.

32 minutes ago, caribill said:

So if you have a TA that has taken care of you, you can easily reciprocate by paying off in full before final payment is due if you're using gift cards as your payment.  Your TA gets what is due them and you're not out anything since you have already paid for the gift card.

By the way, if anyone is interested,  they're available through Allstate at a 15% discount.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

By the way, if anyone is interested,  they're available through Allstate at a 15% discount.

There is no way I am buying Princess gift cards.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

So, cruising is dead and Carnival Corporation, Royal Caribbean International and MSC are all going under, in your opinion?

No. Just reading all the problems people had with gift cards, I am going to continue to use a credit card that gives me better protection. Plus, I don't want my money tied up in a gift card. I have a few restaurant ones but nothing over $100.

On 7/25/2020 at 7:06 AM, CineGraphic said:

I would go as far as calling Princess and informing them that the agent is charging a fee for a cruise that Princess, not the client cancelled. There may be rules in place against such things. Your agent just may have blown his/her chance to book any CCL cruises in the future. Princess can either cut ties with the TA, or heck, let them pay the cancellation fee since THEY cancelled!!

I'd send all the info to customerrelations@princesscruises.com

Being charged for cancellation is totally bogus.

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

No. Just reading all the problems people had with gift cards, I am going to continue to use a credit card that gives me better protection. Plus, I don't want my money tied up in a gift card. I have a few restaurant ones but nothing over $100.

I have saved a lot of money using them through Carnival.  I have them for our first cruise in January on the Enchanted.  It's iffy at this point whether she will be sailing or not.

Just like the problems many have had with refunds, we lucked out and got a deposit on one cruise and a full refund on another from Royal in only 9 days.

30 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

So, cruising is dead and Carnival Corporation,

Royal Caribbean International

and MSC are all going under,

in your opinion?

At my age,

This is all getting too complicated for me.

Our last cruise was canceled, but insurance was forwarded

to a Viking Jupiter cruise is November, 2021. 

I need/want a Travel Agent I can trust.

Me thinks we have one.

If she f...ks up, we will be done with cruising.

Edited by $hip$hape

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

So if you have a TA that has taken care of you, you can easily reciprocate by paying off in full before final payment is due if you're using gift cards as your payment.  Your TA gets what is due them and you're not out anything since you have already paid for the gift card.

Example:

Cruise costs $2000. Princess cancels the cruise and you take the FCC option. Below does not include taxes and fees which would be refunded to you.

a) You have paid in full the $2000.  You get $2500 in FCCs, your $2000 + 25% bonus. TA gets commission.

b) You have paid $1800 but not in full. You get $3600 in FCCs, your $1800 + 100% bonus. TA does not commission.

Paying in full benefits the TA. Not paying in full benefits you.

Now of course most people have a much lower deposit in place, often just an FCD worth $100.

In that case, you would get $200 in FCCs, your $100 plus $100 bonus.  But if you use $1900 in gift cards to pay in full, the TA would get the commission and you would get for your $2000 FCCs worth $2500 ($2000+$500 bonus). But even for that extra $400 in bonus FCC I am not going to spend and tie up $1900 on gift cards ($1615 from Allstate).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, caribill said:

Example:

Cruise costs $2000. Princess cancels the cruise and you take the FCC option. Below does not include taxes and fees which would be refunded to you.

a) You have paid in full the $2000.  You get $2500 in FCCs, your $2000 + 25% bonus. TA gets commission.

b) You have paid $1800 but not in full. You get $3600 in FCCs, your $1800 + 100% bonus. TA does not commission.

Now of course most people have a much lower deposit in place, often just an FCD worth $100.

In that case, you would get $200 in FCCs, your $100 plus $100 bonus.  But if I use $1900 in gift cards to pay in full, the TA would get the commission and I would get for my $2000 FCCs worth $2500 ($2000+$500 bonus).

But even for that extra $400 in bonus FCC I am not going to spend $1900 on gift cards

($1615 from Allstate).

Like I said, too much mumbo-jumbo.

Time to just stay at home.

Edited by $hip$hape
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Of course when the FCCs are used for a future voyage a commission will be made, but if you use a different TA for the future voyage, it is the different TA that gets the commission.

I was mistaken 

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Please provide me more details about a 100% bonus.  I am only familiar with a 25% bonus on Royal and Carnival.

I am concerned about my January  Enchanted cruise being canceled.  I have currently paid only a 100 pp deposit. Thanks.

30 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Please provide me more details about a 100% bonus.  I am only familiar with a 25% bonus on Royal and Carnival.

I am concerned about my January  Enchanted cruise being canceled.  I have currently paid only a 100 pp deposit. Thanks.

how confident are you 

1) your cruise will be cancelled

2) you will want to sail again on Princess

3) Princess will still be cruising 

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

This only applies to cruises that have not been paid in full. Below information is from Pause 4. It could change for future pauses. Minimum for doubling is $100. So $1 becomes $100. A $100 deposit woruld become $200.

01 slide 006 m.jpg

01 slide 007 m.jpg

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

how confident are you 

1) your cruise will be cancelled

2) you will want to sail again on Princess

3) Princess will still be cruising 

1) 50-50 at this point

2) Have not sailed on them yet.  35 so far since 1986 on 7 lines, including Celebrity, Royal, Carnival,  NCL & MSC.

3) Carnival Corporation is selling off non profitable ships, not entire divisions.  If they did, it would be Cunard or HA because of the high percentage of elderly clientele.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

This only applies to cruises that have not been paid in full. Below information is from Pause 4. It could change for future pauses. Minimum for doubling is $100. So $1 becomes $100. A $100 deposit woruld become $200.

01 slide 006 m.jpg

01 slide 007 m.jpg

What confused me was when you mentioned doubling 1800 to 3600.  I have to assume that this would be a party of 4 having put down a 450 deposit pp towards a lengthy cruise.  I'm on a 7 day cruise with a 100 pp deposit.  So is the most I can get is a doubling of the 100?

If my base cruise fare is 600, not including taxes, fees and port charges,  I could pay the taxes, fees and port charges and 500 of the 600 base and then I would be refunded the taxes, fees and port charges and get a FCC for 1000, which would double the 500?  Correct me if I'm wrong.   It is much more straightforward and easy with the other lines that offer either a full refund or a 25% FCC off of the base fare.  Thanks.  I also realize this is all speculative based upon whether phase 5 is similar to phase 4.

33 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

What confused me was when you mentioned doubling 1800 to 3600.  I have to assume that this would be a party of 4 having put down a 450 deposit pp towards a lengthy cruise.  I was referring to a cruise that cost $2000/person (plus taxes and fees). So if $1800 had been made as a deposit for each person on the booking and the FCC option had been selected, each person would be credited with $1800 refundable FCC and $1800 non-refundable bonus FCC. As I mentioned, most people would probably not have put this much down.

I'm on a 7 day cruise with a 100 pp deposit.  So is the most I can get is a doubling of the 100?  Yes

If my base cruise fare is 600, not including taxes, fees and port charges,  I could pay the taxes, fees and port charges and 500 of the 600 base and then I would be refunded the taxes, fees and port charges and get a FCC for 1000, which would double the 500?  Correct me if I'm wrong.     If you had not made a full payment, then your deposit is not divided into base fare, taxes/fees/port charges.  But, to make up a number, let's assume that the taxes/fees/port charges are $150. So if your deposit is $500 + $150, that would be a total of $650 which would be less than the full payment total of $750. The bonus is limited to the base cruise fare of $600, so your $650 deposit would get a refundable FCC of $600 plus a nonrefundable FCC of $600 and a refund of $50.

Just want to get your thoughts on a TA service/cancellation charge to their customers, when the cruise line cancels the cruise.  Their charge is for their time spent researching, updates and changes to the reservation.  They are charging us their minimum fee of $150. Is this reasonable and is this something most TA would do? Does anyone know what a TA makes on a 10-14 day cruise, that costs us approximately 5k?

The travel agent earns 10 to 16% of the basic fare, (excluding port fees and taxes) depending on their volumes.

So out of 5000, if your basic fare ( excluding port fees and taxes) was 4K they would earn maximum $640

I have a March 13, 2021 on the Enchanted.

Passenger  #1 & #2 have FCD of $100 each, #3 passenger has no deposit.  Final payment is January 12, 2021.  Cruise fare for #1 & #2 is $1,857 + $195, #3 is $908 + $195

#1 & #2 plan on cruising again. My agent said if Princess cancels all in the cabin have to take the same refund.

If, #1 & #2 pays more as a further deposit example $1,857 and nothing for #3 up to final payment.  If, Princess cancels before final payment,  #1 & #2 benefit from 125%?  #3 nothing as has no deposit.

If, by final payment Princess does not cancel, pay for all 3 encase we sail in the 60 days, and have to decide what we will have to do.

Any help to figure out what to do?

Edited by phabric

16 hours ago, phabric said:

I have a March 13, 2021 on the Enchanted.

Passenger  #1 & #2 have FCD of $100 each, #3 passenger has no deposit.  Final payment is January 12, 2021.  Cruise fare for #1 & #2 is $1,857 + $195, #3 is $908 + $195

#1 & #2 plan on cruising again. My agent said if Princess cancels all in the cabin have to take the same refund.

If, #1 & #2 pays more as a further deposit example $1,857 and nothing for #3 up to final payment.  If, Princess cancels before final payment,  #1 & #2 benefit from 125%?  #3 nothing as has no deposit.

If, by final payment Princess does not cancel, pay for all 3 encase we sail in the 60 days, and have to decide what we will have to do.

Any help to figure out what to do?

There is one booking number for all three people. My example below is only for two people, but I think the same would apply to three people.

After the initial required deposit (2 FCDs of $100 each), when I make a partial payment for the cruise, I do not get to specify which person it is for. The payment just goes against the total.  So if for two people the cost is $3714 ($1857*2) leaving out the taxes/port fees and I add $1000 to the deposit, I would have put down a total of $1200. If Princess cancels the cruise, that $1200 would be divided evenly between the two passengers.

So in your case, any additional deposit would be divided evenly among the three passengers even if you intended none of it to be for the third passenger.

Its the machine that charges you a service fee. You make file a claim and get an additional refund for the service charge you had. I would rather contact their support for clarification as its always important to keep them informed and busy, otherwise you might have high chances of losing your money. Hope I was of help 

5 hours ago, caribill said:

There is one booking number for all three people. My example below is only for two people, but I think the same would apply to three people.

After the initial required deposit (2 FCDs of $100 each), when I make a partial payment for the cruise, I do not get to specify which person it is for. The payment just goes against the total.  So if for two people the cost is $3714 ($1857*2) leaving out the taxes/port fees and I add $1000 to the deposit, I would have put down a total of $1200. If Princess cancels the cruise, that $1200 would be divided evenly between the two passengers.

So in your case, any additional deposit would be divided evenly among the three passengers even if you intended none of it to be for the third passenger.

Thanks,

One booking is for 3, with a deposit for #1 & #2 with a FCD of $100/each.

1 & #2 want to take the FCC which would be offered and apply to another booked cruise.

#3 will not be cruising again on Princess.  I don’t want to have a FCC for #3.

That is why I said do a further deposit for just #1 & #2 only.

On 7/24/2020 at 11:19 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I have a wonderful Travel Agent who is suffering from the cancellation of cruises.  She has gone over and above the service a standard TA would do for their clients.  A jewel to keep in my treasure box.

But I know she is hurting.  She has never and probably will never charge anything extra.  With no cruises for 9 months, she is still in the office putting out fires for her clients.  Instead of her charging me a fee, I sent her a small token of my appreciation since I couldn't "take her to lunch".  

Time for you to find another travel agent.

I wonder if we have the same TA, but sadly, she wasn't able to help us in any way through the travesty of our Coral cruise or even after.  No info, no answers, nada.