The Muster Discussion

jetsfan58

How does this sound?

When we are checking our final documents (emailed in most cases) why not have the brief "video" of the "Muster Drill" available as an "attachment" and have everyone reply back as completed? Of course you will probably have to check of a small box denoting that you actually completed the viewing. Actually sounds like this would eliminate the need to worry about the majority of cruisers as they board?   

I also believe that there still may be some individuals that receive the "Paper Mailing". No problem because as soon as they receive the documents there will be a " Hard Copy" Muster Drill outline for review and signature. Just simple bring this document with you at time of boarding?   

A few assumptions here and a few more added steps but at least our vacations will not be interrupted once we board!! 

This was what I was anticipating when thinking about us reviewing this particular subject. Very good dialogue. I have witnessed passengers consistently complaining for many years about this very important aspect of cruising and being on the water. We have actually been in that unfortunate "herd" that were trapped at the back of the rows on the hot outside decks; trying to be good and astute passengers.

In my opinion, the solution will have to involve past passengers and new passengers. What process will satisfy both? Should the anticipated "solution" involve modern technology? How does Carnival minimize the steps to complete the process? If the process is too complicated will "new" passengers be tempted to not return? Will the new "processes" add cost to the Cruise experience? Should Carnival provide some form of wearable identification "wrist bans or Muster Station locations engraved on the front of our room passenger cards " to ensure we know which station is assigned to us?  

These are my puzzle pieces that I am trying to make fit. How about you?      

On 7/28/2020 at 12:12 PM, jetsfan58 said:

The only real issue I see with the having to visit the actual Muster Station would be with first time cruisers. However there are some quite savvy individuals these days that can literally and quickly figure things out. With all of this video, chip, online technology that we have today most of us would always be aware of where that Muster Place is located.

I think finding the actual Muster Station should be the point...and First Time cruisers need this the most.

Sooo... maybe they could have in-person drill instruction for first time Carnival cruisers.

Then repeat cruisers would be able to just read or view some instructions and go check in at their Muster Station. 

• Haha 1

Allow one purchase per card until muster has been completed and muster checkin fully activates it.

Checkin at muster should have you answer 3 random questions about the video you say you watched and then you can enjoy the rest of your vacation

Anyone that doesnt comply prior to half hour before departure has their picture rotated in a slideshow on every screen on the boat until they do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, robc1972 said:

Allow one purchase per card until muster has been completed and muster checkin fully activates it.

I wouldn't even allow one purchase.  Until muster is completed no purchases, especially if given the opportunity to complete part of muster before boarding, then checking in and having card scanned at muster station as soon as you board.   Watch how fast people complete what needs to be done!

God forbid; however, during a true Muster Emergency I just pray that at a minimum and at least  "orderly chaos" prevails!!!

This is why Carnival really needs to thoroughly "explore" all facets of returning to "Safe" cruising. If that time were to come where we all actually had to "rapidly evacuate" I am going to grab the hand or at least motion to a "Cruise Newbie" to follow my lead. The newbies are where Carnival has to be really concentrating their content and efforts. If you create a process that adheres to and treats everyone as a "Newbie" then logistically you should have covered all bases. This type of a "forward thinking" process will force Carnival to put a "true safety" program into action.  

• Like 1

Another thought to ponder???

What happens if/when a true "Muster" emergency is declared and the children are playing in their assigned venues of enjoyment? Should Carnival also be considering our "youth" in this overall Muster Process? What if the nearest Muster station is closer than their assigned "Family" station? Does the Carnival employee designated to lead their group alter and go to that nearest station or try and find the parents at the "Family" station?

See there are so many variables in effective planning. Good Luck Carnival!!!     

25 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Another thought to ponder???

What happens if/when a true "Muster" emergency is declared and the children are playing in their assigned venues of enjoyment? Should Carnival also be considering our "youth" in this overall Muster Process? What if the nearest Muster station is closer than their assigned "Family" station? Does the Carnival employee designated to lead their group alter and go to that nearest station or try and find the parents at the "Family" station?

See there are so many variables in effective planning. Good Luck Carnival!!!     

At all the muster drills I have attended on Carnival, they announce that camp staff will bring the children to their assigned muster station - hence the wristbands all kids under the age of 12 must wear at all times.  I am sure if there was an emergency situation where they were unable to reach their assigned station, staff would bring them to the next safest station.  Staff carries walkie talkies and cell phones at all times and would communicate who they have and where they are. 

I have thought some idea...  muster drill needs to be ATTENDED by ALL passengers.. maybe doing it in small groups by time slots for 3 to 4 hours........  For an example you are on Deck 11 and got aboard about 12:15 your muster drill report time will be at 1:30 or 2. GOT BOARD AT 1 your report time will be at 2:30, and so on... they can do the drill every 30 mins..  If you don't attend the muster drill the crew can call you in your cabin or ships' speakers right before the ship leaves.  by 2nd day they could fine you like $150. 

The cruisers and cruise lines can propose all sorts of new muster ideas, but until the US Coast Guard signs off on the new procedure, it can't be implemented. Here is reference to the USCG regulations:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/5p/CG-5PC/CG-CVC/Guidance/CGTTP_3-72.2B_Foreign Passenger_Vessel_Exam.pdf

Page 67 Item 7.9

During these times of "re-regulations" the Coast Guard is not "Totally" immune from changing their laws and/or viewpoints? We all have the pledge of "sacrifice" to make these "Safe" Cruising voyages happen. 

I also feel that the mentioned "time allotments" are a good thought. However, we all know that many of our Cruise mates/friends are so acclimated to "rushing" either to the upper food courts or your "not quite ready" rooms as soon as we board. That "mindset" will have to give way to a "complete discipline" change for that to effectively work?   

So many great thoughts presented via this topic. I wonder if the Carnival Beards will try and "hire" some of us as Consultants?  

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 1:03 PM, jimbo5544 said:

I think it imperative that they must visit the muster point on the ship.

I've said this before and will say it again...in the event of an emergency, will people really go to their assigned muster station or will they head to the nearest life boat?  Not saying it's unimportant to know where to muster, but in a real  emergency, I expect all that goes out the window.  

5 hours ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

muster drill needs to be ATTENDED by ALL passengers

Why?  I honestly think that if things go to the dogs on board a cruise ship, all bets are off.  People will go to the nearest point of safety and it may not be their assigned muster station.  

Now, it may be different for those who need to reunite with children.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

27 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I've said this before and will say it again...in the event of an emergency, will people really go to their assigned muster station or will they head to the nearest life boat?  Not saying it's unimportant to know where to muster, but in a real  emergency, I expect all that goes out the window.  

That is why they need to go to the actual muster station as part of the plan, when they board.

28 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Why?  I honestly think that if things go to the dogs on board a cruise ship, all bets are off.  People will go to the nearest point of safety and it may not be their assigned muster station.  

Now, it may be different for those who need to reunite with children.

History tells us that doing drills and going to muster actually do make a difference.  Also, history has shown that people have remained fairly calm when the proverbial dog du hits the fan.  

I have never been in an "abandon ship" emergency at sea ( thank god) but I have been involved in codes at hospitals.  One hospital where I worked had "mock codes" once a month.  Plus night shift had to open the crash cart once a week to physically inventory the contents ( meds, equipment, etc)  ANd guess what?  During actual codes I could lay my hands on stuff without thinking about it.  I was also much calmer because i had "been there, done that" so many times in practice codes.  So yes, IMHO, those drills do help.

baf

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Not all calls to go to muster end up as a situation where the life boats need to be used. In fact, abandon ship is extremely rare.

17 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Not all calls to go to muster end up as a situation where the life boats need to be used. In fact, abandon ship is extremely rare.

Very good point!

12 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

History tells us that doing drills and going to muster actually do make a difference.  Also, history has shown that people have remained fairly calm when the proverbial dog du hits the fan.  

I would agree with that.  I recall a flight I was on once returning from SFO to ATL where we had to "assume emergency landing position" by bending over and tucking our heads to our knees...you could have heard a pin drop on that plane.  Fortunately, the flight crew were excellent and we had a happy ending and nobody panicked.  Whether that was because everyone paid attention to the emergency video or because of paralyzing fear, I couldn't really say.

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Very good point!

I would agree with that.  I recall a flight I was on once returning from SFO to ATL where we had to "assume emergency landing position" by bending over and tucking our heads to our knees...you could have heard a pin drop on that plane.  Fortunately, the flight crew were excellent and we had a happy ending and nobody panicked.  Whether that was because everyone paid attention to the emergency video or because of paralyzing fear, I couldn't really say.

I experienced a flight landing during a bad thunderstorm where the plane went off the runway (was able to return on its own power) but we assumed emergency positions as well.  I think people want to be led and directed during those tough moments.  Where it can degrade, is when they do not get the direction or did not attend the chief ing or know where to go on a cruise ship.

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I experienced a flight landing during a bad thunderstorm where the plane went off the runway (was able to return on its own power) but we assumed emergency positions as well.  I think people want to be led and directed during those tough moments.  Where it can degrade, is when they do not get the direction or did not attend the chief ing or know where to go on a cruise ship.

There is a real difference between a plane and a cruise ship. In case of an emergency the plane's passengers are already "herded". I'm sure during the real emergency everyone pays a lot more attention than during the pre takeoff emergency briefing.

For a cruise ship facing a similar situation, the crew must assure that the passengers get to where they have to be. That is what everyone seems to be ignoring; the drill is as much, actually even more, for the crew than the passengers.

Cruise Critic Faithful this is some really great dialogue being discussed here. I think we can all agree that this Pandemic has really opened up some heartfelt discussion points. My real concern remains with the process. How can/does Carnival change the mindset (that old familiar resistance to the Muster Drill)? I really feel that with this Virus we all are going to be thinking (maybe subconsciously) of methods to protect ourselves beyond Carnival's logic (whatever that winds up being).

I already have "sweaty" visions of "Herd Like Humanity" gathering at the meeting points, pushing, shoving, arguing but going no where fast? In some cases maybe "Swim Lessons" are needed (non swimmers beware).    

13 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Cruise Critic Faithful this is some really great dialogue being discussed here. I think we can all agree that this Pandemic has really opened up some heartfelt discussion points. My real concern remains with the process. How can/does Carnival change the mindset (that old familiar resistance to the Muster Drill)? I really feel that with this Virus we all are going to be thinking (maybe subconsciously) of methods to protect ourselves beyond Carnival's logic (whatever that winds up being).

I already have "sweaty" visions of "Herd Like Humanity" gathering at the meeting points, pushing, shoving, arguing but going no where fast? In some cases maybe "Swim Lessons" are needed (non swimmers beware).    

If heaven forbid there was ever a real abandon ship emergency on a cruise I was on, covid19 would be the last thing on my mind, and probably on the minds of the crew.  While I hope there would be no pushing, shoving, etc. I think social distancing would go out the window in order to get everyone quickly and safely to their muster station, and if need be, off the ship asap.

• Like 1