The Muster Discussion

jetsfan58

We learned that Carnival's closest rival is actually considering an alternative to the "Dreaded" but mandatory group Muster Drill. They will be incorporating a systems based approach that will allow cruisers to manually "check in" and "check off" their participation. Appears that this action can be completed via their Cell Phone AP or in the comfort of their cabins by those utilizing those limited digital TV sets.

I always enjoyed watching those Carnival "first time cruisers" get lost trying to locate their "Mustard" Stations. Will the industry follow the competition's lead? 

What say you?         

• Like 2

From what I could tell, they can do some online/interactively but still must report on their own time to the muster station prior to sailing to have their card swiped as an assurance they physically know where their station is.  

The good old "mustard" drill.....I don't "relish" the thought of having to go to them in the heat but I do "catchup" in time

• Haha 2

Easy, after having picked up cabin key card in the terminal, passenger must go to their assigned muster station, clearly printed on their card, ex: Deck 4 mid starboard, to have room card activated before it'll allow key to open their cabin door.  This will ensure passenger has physically been to their muster station before they can enter their cabin...

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

The muster drill as we know it is counter-productive. People have no idea what is being said during the presentation. Royal is taking the right approach.

Have people complete some kind of online certification or something before then check in to their station after

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Easy, after having picked up cabin key card in the terminal, passenger must go to their assigned muster station, clearly printed on their card, ex: Deck 4 mid starboard, to have room card activated before it'll allow key to open their cabin door.  This will ensure passenger has physically been to their muster station before they can enter their cabin...

That's a great idea! Short online tutorial and have room key activated by someone at the muster station. Also prevents the problem of the elevator nightmare for the ADA passengers that I saw on my last cruise during muster drill. 

• Like 1

I think Royal is on the right track...Especially since you have to report to your muster station.

I like the idea of being able to go get it done and then go enjoy myself, without crowding together with a group.

NavyCruiser, that's a great idea, the only problem I see would be for those folks that carry on their own luggage and supplies. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ARcruisin2 said:

I think Royal is on the right track...Especially since you have to report to your muster station.

I like the idea of being able to go get it done and then go enjoy myself, without crowding together with a group.

NavyCruiser, that's a great idea, the only problem I see would be for those folks that carry on their own luggage and supplies. 

Those people (aka my relatives) haul their stuff up to the buffet without a problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I know that RCCL / Celebrity are doing the muster 2.0. I would hope that all cruise lines would use some sort of online  muster drill.  winter 2019 we were crammed in a small lounge and it took almost an hour bc people never showed up on time. its important, the muster drill , but it also makes people stop their vacation / meal/ etc 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

I don’t know about activating the keys at the muster station. I see a lot of problems with that. But I can see making them check in at the muster station and scan their card. Then later they track down anyone who hasn’t scanned their card. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

I don’t know about activating the keys at the muster station. I see a lot of problems with that. But I can see making them check in at the muster station and scan their card. Then later they track down anyone who hasn’t scanned their card. 

Reading them on an iPad would work, for authentication purposes.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Reading them on an iPad would work, for authentication purposes.  

Yeah just the normal scan they do now when you enter the muster station. That would work. 

But to activate the cards you probably need a windows tablet like a surface. Depending on the software you may need a card encoder which isn’t likely to happen at every muster station.

Even if you could do it with a regular card swipe you’d have to give everybody and their brother access to the hotel key system which is a serious security issue. You want that limited to the people who work at the guest services desk not the fun squad guy who also works muster station c4.

Even if they didn’t care about security I’m platinum and I want to drop my bags off in my room not haul them to a muster station, then to my room.

7 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Yikes.

The thought of reprogramming all those ship cards with a Saflok RFID Sled just makes me cringe. Have you ever seen a hotel prepare for a football team or band’s arrival? This would be pretty similar.

think it would be great.

Have a video playing in the room. showing what you have to do during a Emergency.. 

Then answer a few questions on the cruise lines APP. (CRUISELINES LOVE US USING THERE APP).

Then get your name marked off at muster station entry. 

Then you can go enjoy the cruise.

No mass crowds at Muster Station 

No mass confusion what to do after Muster.

Easy..

• Like 4

13 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

They quit giving out the cabin keys in the terminal quite a while ago.  Now they are in the mailboxes by the cabins.  It's not just a matter of going to the muster station.  You have to get in to your cabin to watch the instructions on the TV first before going to the lifeboats.

Love the idea of doing muster on the tv in cabin.  Using a phone app might cause a problem for some people who 1. don't have a cell phone (believe it or not I have met some people who don't have one!) or 2. Their cell phone is "old" (flip phone - I have seen some of those also!) and don't have access to apps on phone.   or 3.  I have hit "dead" areas in my cabin where my cell won't get signal, and have to go out on my balcony waving my phone around, or leave cabin to find better reception someplace on ship.  That kind of defeats the purpose, as I would be wandering around trying to find a better signal.

9 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Yeah just the normal scan they do now when you enter the muster station. That would work. 

But to activate the cards you probably need a windows tablet like a surface. Depending on the software you may need a card encoder which isn’t likely to happen at every muster station.

Even if you could do it with a regular card swipe you’d have to give everybody and their brother access to the hotel key system which is a serious security issue. You want that limited to the people who work at the guest services desk not the fun squad guy who also works muster station c4.

Even if they didn’t care about security I’m platinum and I want to drop my bags off in my room not haul them to a muster station, then to my room.

Understand and  agree

Understand and  agree

If you really want to force compliance, rather than activating door locks, have them activate your charging ability. Nothing like holding umbrella drinks hostage to get a cruiser’s attention [emoji15]

76 past cruises
Upcoming:
CCL Dream 8/22/2020. Western Caribbean
NCL Breakaway 1/10/2021 Western Caribbean
CCL Dream 5/16/2021 Western Caribbean
NCL Star 6/27/2021 - Scotland, Norway & Iceland
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

If you really want to force compliance, rather than activating door locks, have them activate your charging ability. Nothing like holding umbrella drinks hostage to get a cruiser’s attention emoji15.png

76 past cruises
Upcoming:
CCL Dream 8/22/2020. Western Caribbean
NCL Breakaway 1/10/2021 Western Caribbean
CCL Dream 5/16/2021 Western Caribbean
NCL Star 6/27/2021 - Scotland, Norway & Iceland

The last thing any cruise line wants to do is limit their income onboard by not letting passengers spend their money.

What everyone on this thread who thinks this is such a wonderful idea seems to forget it that the muster drill is also for the crew. It is their chance to see what is needed to herd the passengers in case of an emergency. 

Magnolia Blossom let me commend you guys on 76 Cruises. Wow what an accomplishment!!

The real issue to safe cruising is going to have to tie in with safe distancing. They are still going to have to keep this emphasis at top of mind when initiating these protocols. Let's see what the Beards come up with.

Great conversations.

1 hour ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

If you really want to force compliance, rather than activating door locks, have them activate your charging ability. Nothing like holding umbrella drinks hostage to get a cruiser’s attention emoji15.png

I like that better than the door lock thing. Of course I’d want to have a drink in case there’s a long line for the card scanning. And I think it’s tough as a business to tell people they can’t spend money. Of course they do it before the muster drill so maybe they would be willing to do it before the card scanning.

16 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

The only issue that i see with this is that you need to somehow show that the video has been watched prior to going to the muster station.  Maybe the crew could leave cabin doors open and once the door has been closed it can't be reopened from the outside again until the card is activated.