The Muster Discussion

jetsfan58

People, lighten up, it was a joke

yes 76 is a lot of cruising, which shows the level of our passion (ok, addiction) and why having three cruises cancelled this year is psych time at our house  

I’ve always hated CCLs musters  other lines have a more human and productive method    Just sorry it took this to prompt change

happy day to all!

16 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Those people (aka my relatives) haul their stuff up to the buffet without a problem.

wow...that sounds fun...lol

well then - I guess we can look at it the same.... you choose to schlep it all around at the buffet... same as to the muster station, that's their choice. 

again... i think it's a good idea

There's a lot of conflicting ideas on the security issue.  Some think that scanning their cabin key card at the muster station to activate unlocking their room is a security issue, but just leaving the key card at the mail box 2 feet away from the room lock currently is not...?

How does this sound?

When we are checking our final documents (emailed in most cases) why not have the brief "video" of the "Muster Drill" available as an "attachment" and have everyone reply back as completed? Of course you will probably have to check of a small box denoting that you actually completed the viewing. Actually sounds like this would eliminate the need to worry about the majority of cruisers as they board?   

I also believe that there still may be some individuals that receive the "Paper Mailing". No problem because as soon as they receive the documents there will be a " Hard Copy" Muster Drill outline for review and signature. Just simple bring this document with you at time of boarding?   

A few assumptions here and a few more added steps but at least our vacations will not be interrupted once we board!! 

1 minute ago, jetsfan58 said:

How does this sound?

When we are checking our final documents (emailed in most cases) why not have the brief "video" of the "Muster Drill" available as an "attachment" and have everyone reply back as completed? Of course you will probably have to check of a small box denoting that you actually completed the viewing. Actually sounds like this would eliminate the need to worry about the majority of cruisers as they board?   

I also believe that there still may be some individuals that receive the "Paper Mailing". No problem because as soon as they receive the documents there will be a " Hard Copy" Muster Drill outline for review and signature. Just simple bring this document with you at time of boarding?   

A few assumptions here and a few more added steps but at least our vacations will not be interrupted once we board!! 

I think it imperative that they must visit the muster point on the ship.

How does this sound?

The only real issue I see with the having to visit the actual Muster Station would be with first time cruisers. However there are some quite savvy individuals these days that can literally and quickly figure things out. With all of this video, chip, online technology that we have today most of us would always be aware of where that Muster Place is located.

3 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

The only real issue I see with the having to visit the actual Muster Station would be with first time cruisers. However there are some quite savvy individuals these days that can literally and quickly figure things out. With all of this video, chip, online technology that we have today most of us would always be aware of where that Muster Place is located.

Or just show a crew member your room key, which has your muster station printed on it, and ask them for directions.  

16 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I think it imperative that they must visit the muster point on the ship.

^^^^^THIS! As a passenger, I WANT to know EXACTLY where to go in the event of a dire emergency. IMHO, watching a 'muster video' while in our cabin, THEN going to the muster station to get our S&S cards scanned in by one of the crew at the muster station, would work out well. In the event of a dire emergency, people will be panicked enough. The staff will more than have their hands full trying to heard panicked passengers to the muster station, then into the lifeboats. It's a must do.  

• Like 2

Rethinking possibilities - I actually like the idea of picking up your sail and sign card in mailbox, then heading right to get card scanned at muster station so everyone actually knows where it is.  After card is scanned, sometime before sailaway everyone must watch muster video in cabin or on hub app - they can easily have a separate "menu" item (as they do now - portfolio, dining menu, parental control, excursions, etc) that must be clicked on and acknowledged that you watched the video.  My concern is for the new/newer cruisers who don't know what the heck to do or where to go in the event of an emergency.  If they don't watch the video or get card scanned, card is turned off until they do.

3 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Rethinking possibilities - I actually like the idea of picking up your sail and sign card in mailbox, then heading right to get card scanned at muster station so everyone actually knows where it is.  After card is scanned, sometime before sailaway everyone must watch muster video in cabin or on hub app - they can easily have a separate "menu" item (as they do now - portfolio, dining menu, parental control, excursions, etc) that must be clicked on and acknowledged that you watched the video.  My concern is for the new/newer cruisers who don't know what the heck to do or where to go in the event of an emergency.  If they don't watch the video or get card scanned, card is turned off until they do.

How does this sound?

I am in the camp that we are all basically "Carnival" addicts. Carnival is certainly not dismissing our patronage but they also must center a huge portion of their attention on "The New Generation" of cruisers. We have raised two millennial sons and they quite frankly want everything "Quick, Timely and available by Cell Phone" with the least amount of steps involved for each task. 

With that being said "Where will Carnival draw the line? Will they continue to try and satisfy us "Sage" passengers or will they likely have to modify their total thinking centered around that "New Bunch of Addicts"? My dollar would lean more toward their future "Recruits" and most of the "Muster Madness" done electronically prior to boarding? 

Wonder if they could have the safety briefing available online (maybe a link in your booking?) that would be available to view 48 hrs to embarkation?  There could be a code that would then be listed under your booking ( or on the carnival hub ap or a bar code on your hub ap) that you could key in/scan at the actual muster station to prove you were there?  

I dunno if it would work, just trying to be as expeditious as possible.

baf 

On 7/27/2020 at 5:27 PM, Joebucks said:

The muster drill as we know it is counter-productive. People have no idea what is being said during the presentation. Royal is taking the right approach.

Have people complete some kind of online certification or something before then check in to their station after

One must keep in mind that muster drills are also for crew members. Every sailing there new crew members working various stations for the drill. Think of it like a fire drill in kindergarten. The kids don't pay attention but the teacher is responsible for making sure they are in their safe, designated spot and all heads are accounted for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

One must keep in mind that muster drills are also for crew members. Every sailing there new crew members working various stations for the drill. Think of it like a fire drill in kindergarten. The kids don't pay attention but the teacher is responsible for making sure they are in their safe, designated spot and all heads are accounted for. 

Because of social distancing, I can see the crew having separate muster drills.  I don't see how it can continue as it is now.

baf

5 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

That is THE best analogy for a muster drill I've read on this forum!  Something we can all relate very well to. Well done D.l. ! 👍

20 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I’ve always hated CCLs musters  other lines have a more human and productive method    Just sorry it took this to prompt change

I don't know about most other lines but RCI did it the same way CCL does on the one cruise we took with them.

At work we do a lot of trainings via emailed videos. They can absolutely send you a link to a video where they will know whether or not you watched it. No need for codes. This doesn’t need to be this difficult. Send out the video link after you do final check in. Video will end by telling you to go to your muster station. When you get on the ship. Scan your card at the muster station to check in and they can confirm you are on the verified list for the video. If you don’t complete both of these steps by sail away they shut down your charging privileges. You will eventually seek them out and can then complete the steps.

17 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

At work we do a lot of trainings via emailed videos. They can absolutely send you a link to a video where they will know whether or not you watched it. No need for codes. This doesn’t need to be this difficult. Send out the video link after you do final check in. Video will end by telling you to go to your muster station. When you get on the ship. Scan your card at the muster station to check in and they can confirm you are on the verified list for the video. If you don’t complete both of these steps by sail away they shut down your charging privileges. You will eventually seek them out and can then complete the steps.

This is the most sound approach I have read so far.  If they give everyone enough time - allowing for those who may have extended pre-cruise stays and have no access to computer or email, which final check-in does- this is a great idea.  They can easily shut-down cards for those who do not view video or show up at muster station.  The only "glitch" I see in this is that one person can "verify" all in their party have seen video, when they probably haven't.  But at least all will "visit" the muster station once onboard.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bafinegan said:

Because of social distancing, I can see the crew having separate muster drills.  I don't see how it can continue as it is now.

baf

If the muster drill's purpose for the crew is to herd the passengers to their stations, how can this be done for the crew without passenger involvement?

45 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

If the muster drill's purpose for the crew is to herd the passengers to their stations, how can this be done for the crew without passenger involvement?

Staff whose primary job is not to "herd the passengers" could be "the passengers" in a staff drill.  This is just a supposition.  No one will really know until we start cruising again.

baf

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

This is the most sound approach I have read so far.  If they give everyone enough time - allowing for those who may have extended pre-cruise stays and have no access to computer or email, which final check-in does- this is a great idea.  They can easily shut-down cards for those who do not view video or show up at muster station.  The only "glitch" I see in this is that one person can "verify" all in their party have seen video, when they probably haven't.  But at least all will "visit" the muster station once onboard.  

agreed. I can see that being an issue. Not sure how to resolve that.

48 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Ive heard this argument before and I don’t buy it. Passengers reporting to their muster stations for a pre-planned drill will bear little resemblance to passengers reporting to muster stations in real life. Especially since, as pointed out in another thread about this, in a real muster situation there’s a decent chance parts of the ship will be blocked off causing crew to have to route passengers through specific corridors. That doesn’t happen in muster drills. 

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Ive heard this argument before and I don’t buy it. Passengers reporting to their muster stations for a pre-planned drill will bear little resemblance to passengers reporting to muster stations in real life. Especially since, as pointed out in another thread about this, in a real muster situation there’s a decent chance parts of the ship will be blocked off causing crew to have to route passengers through specific corridors. That doesn’t happen in muster drills. 

As a elementary school teacher for 37 years, we were required to hold a number of fire drills each school year.  A few of them had to be with different exits/corriders (unknown to the staff beforehand) blocked off, so another route out of the school needed to be found on the fly.  We never knew what to expect when the fire bell went off. New teachers especially were not prepared for this scenario.  With the high turnover rate of crew on a ship and the lack of passengers listening during muster it makes me worry of a safe exit anyway - which is why I always make sure we know multiple ways to reach our station just in case.  At least I can count on myself in an emergency.

• Like 1