Pent up demand

jwc1027

I'm surprised by the number of hopefuls wishing their cruise will sail this year but also by the feeling that, oh well ,  will just lift and shift to 2021. As each successive cruise gets cancelled that puts more demand on cabins for next year and 2022. So makes sense prices would rise and I'm also skeptical that cruise lines are not selling cabins to reduce capacity but as i always point out, ONLY TIME WILL TELL .

I think things will level off eventually.  Even when the industry resumes full swing, there's many people out there who are in no hurry to rush back to cruising.

As for reduced capacity, it is my understanding that this will be a concession put in place should sailing resume during the pandemic and without a vaccine.  There will come a day when the pandemic is declared over.  Hopefully by 2022 this will be in the distant past and reduced capacity won't be a thing.

Making trend analysis based on us folks on CC is not representative of the consumer reality.

We are more interested in cruises than the majority. I know way too many people who have given up on cruising and who have now spent their travel budgets on RV's, cottages, high end SUV's.

They are not likely to book a cruise again.

This includes myself who is in no rush what so ever to cruise. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Doubt It said:

Making trend analysis based on us folks on CC is not representative of the consumer reality.

We are more interested in cruises than the majority. I know way too many people who have given up on cruising and who have now spent their travel budgets on RV's, cottages, high end SUV's.

I  also really don't think there is any pent up demand among the general public.

In addition to the above, I know of people who have purchased boats and had swimming  

pools installed on their property.   Huge demand for boats and pools around here.

My brother is one who got a pool installed this summer. They're enjoying it.

They had a first cruise for the family set to Italy for August. My brother not planning now on another cruise after waiting 3 months for refund.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

3 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

My brother is one who got a pool installed this summer. They're enjoying it.

They had a first cruise for the family set to Italy for August. My brother not planning now on another cruise after waiting 3 months for refund.

Everybody had to wait 3 months. Sounds like he is just doing fine to afford a pool.

15 hours ago, Doubt It said:

Why are you even posting here if you woll never cruise again? Not saying you can't post I just don't know why would waste your time here when you could be researching upscale minivans...

Anyway I agree that CC is not representative of the cruising world. However I know many people (particularly younger) who are so ready to travel in a heartbeat. It is the older folks (55+) who I think will have a hard time convincing for a few years anyway.

17 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

Just an example of a first time cruiser now not planning on cruising. The pool was bought twice used - two other families.

I understand your point, and i'm sure there will others who feel the same. We waited just as long but we didn't freak out like him.

35 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Why are you even posting here if you woll never cruise again? Not saying you can't post I just don't know why would waste your time here when you could be researching upscale minivans...

Anyway I agree that CC is not representative of the cruising world. However I know many people (particularly younger) who are so ready to travel in a heartbeat. It is the older folks (55+) who I think will have a hard time convincing for a few years anyway.

My husband and I are both mid 60s. Once there is a vaccine we’ll be ready to go.  In fact, we’ll probably increase our travel to make up for the opportunities we’ve missed for what will probably be a year plus. And we know many people our age and older that feel the same way.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If someone lifted and shifted the price didn’t change.  They will be on the same cruise but next year.

If the price increased I don’t really think it would affect many as the same passengers would be sailing on the L and S.    Plus there are also this that made reservations before the so called increase

The only passengers it would affect are the newbies or those that waited for a deal that may never happen. 🤑🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

On 7/30/2020 at 8:45 AM, jwc1027 said:

I'm surprised by the number of hopefuls wishing their cruise will sail this year but also by the feeling that, oh well ,  will just lift and shift to 2021. As each successive cruise gets cancelled that puts more demand on cabins for next year and 2022. So makes sense prices would rise and I'm also skeptical that cruise lines are not selling cabins to reduce capacity but as i always point out, ONLY TIME WILL TELL .

We did a lift and shift for our September cruise ( probably did it in May). The price was $2,100 or $2:700 cheaper ( can’t remember the exact price. )

The cruise lines want you to think there is pent up demand, there isn’t. It’s marketing strategies and desperation in attempts to get people who love cruising to book again. It’s hogwash and lies .....They want to tell you future bookings are high so you better act fast and get your booking and payment in now to save your spot. It’s laughable ..... the majority don’t even have cruising on their radar. They want to raise rates to initiate knee jerk bookings from the poorly informed and ignorant. Everything else travel related is dropping in price .....flights are cheap, resorts are cheap. Vegas rooms in nice hotels are on the strip are $100. Yet cruise line ceo’s Raise prices through the roof on a product they can’t deliver ......it is hilarious. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

The cruise lines want you to think there is pent up demand, there isn’t. It’s marketing strategies and desperation in attempts to get people who love cruising to book again. It’s hogwash and lies .....They want to tell you future bookings are high so you better act fast and get your booking and payment in now to save your spot. It’s laughable ..... the majority don’t even have cruising on their radar. They want to raise rates to initiate knee jerk bookings from the poorly informed and ignorant. Everything else travel related is dropping in price .....flights are cheap, resorts are cheap. Vegas rooms in nice hotels are on the strip are $100. Yet cruise line ceo’s Raise prices through the roof on a product they can’t deliver ......it is hilarious. 

I haven’t seen any indication of cruise lines telling us there is ACTUAL pent up demand that would bring the situation back to normal profit levels quickly. We are merely speculating here.

as for Las Vegas, those hotels are CURRENTLY open. Cruises are not sailing.

2020 is not going to be a good year for any travel related revenue which I think we all agree on

Edited by pumpkin 11
  • Thanks 1

We're in our late 60s and our desire to cruise is not from a pent up need, but rather simply an addiction. However, no worries, it's manageable and with future cruises in place at 2-3 month intervals on our favorite lines, as soon as we have a vaccine running through our veins and CDC gives the thumbs up to start cruising again, we're ready! 😁

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

tallnthesome, precisely spot on.

I believe that students should be educated on marketing because when they grow up they will have the "radar" to identify when they are receiving deliberately manipulated messaging. It seems the majority of people fall for it like "free" beverage packages etc.  I spent my career in marketing and we had a big sign in our conference room that said "We love obedient consumers".

Considerable evidence on CC of "obedient consumers". I love observing this and share many posts with my retired marketing colleagues.

In the end each consumer is accountable for their purchasing decisions. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, keesar said:

I  also really don't think there is any pent up demand among the general public.

In addition to the above, I know of people who have purchased boats and had swimming  

pools installed on their property.   Huge demand for boats and pools around here.

Several years ago we sold our boat and built a pool. I miss boats but wouldn’t go back. However I can honestly say neither replaces the fun and relaxation of a cruise. Neither gives me glimpses of other lands, foods and cultures. I will continue to cruise even if it means some changes and a few inconveniences. 
I’m holding out hope for our April ‘21 cruise but accept that it may not happen. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

tallnthesome, precisely spot on.

I believe that students should be educated on marketing because when they grow up they will have the "radar" to identify when they are receiving deliberately manipulated messaging. It seems the majority of people fall for it like "free" beverage packages etc.  I spent my career in marketing and we had a big sign in our conference room that said "We love obedient consumers".

Considerable evidence on CC of "obedient consumers". I love observing this and share many posts with my retired marketing colleagues.

In the end each consumer is accountable for their purchasing decisions. 

Wow you must be fun at parties. Cruising is fun and that’s what we try to focus on here. 

you will find those practices you mention in just about EVERY company. They have all have to. 

some of us don’t want to buy expensive minivans or suvs for our vacation! Gosh all the work that would include makes my head spin 😭🤣😂

Edited by pumpkin 11

35 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

you will find those practices you mention in just about EVERY company. They have all have to. 

Fortunately, that is not true.

I spent 20+ years running major auto dealerships (you know, the most "slimy" people on the planet).  It is a pretty regulated business with regard to marketing.

If I had done what Celebrity does as a matter of course (e.g. raising prices by 50% to give 50% off the next day or raising prices by the price of perks to give "FREE PERKS!!!") I would be in jail for fraud.  Literally.

40 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Wow you must be fun at parties. Cruising is fun and that’s what we try to focus on here. 

Focus on fun here? Huh? I agree with ECCruise above. As previously noted, many resorts and Vegas are OPEN and CAN deliver and are doing it highly discounted. The cruise lines are CLOSED and have no idea when they can deliver after taking your money and raise prices. Are you not following along? Their business mentality is highly flawed and downright greedy ........

11 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Focus on fun here? Huh? I agree with ECCruise above. As previously noted, many resorts and Vegas are OPEN and CAN deliver and are doing it highly discounted. The cruise lines are CLOSED and have no idea when they can deliver after taking your money and raise prices. Are you not following along? Their business mentality is highly flawed and downright greedy ........

And yet people are paying... so why do you care?

19 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Fortunately, that is not true.

I spent 20+ years running major auto dealerships (you know, the most "slimy" people on the planet).  It is a pretty regulated business with regard to marketing.

If I had done what Celebrity does as a matter of course (e.g. raising prices by 50% to give 50% off the next day or raising prices by the price of perks to give "FREE PERKS!!!") I would be in jail for fraud.  Literally.

And you can get the price difference as long as you ( or your TA) pay attention. Not a big deal but does require you to keep looking.

3 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

And yet people are paying... so why do you care?

Who is paying ? What information are you privy to? What concrete info do you have that people are booking under these sky high rates? None ..... Speculation at best and you’re one that I refer to that will book as a result of the lines marketing strategies. A fool and their money are soon parted. You should care if fools are willing to pay these ridiculous prices because if they will then you’ll have to as well in the future  or stay home ..... You don’t get it at all. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lhsail said:

My husband and I are both mid 60s. Once there is a vaccine we’ll be ready to go.  In fact, we’ll probably increase our travel to make up for the opportunities we’ve missed for what will probably be a year plus. And we know many people our age and older that feel the same way.  

Exactly.  I'm 57 and my wife is nearly 73 (4 days away!), so we definitely are eager for the vaccine.  But US citizens are going nowhere outside the country until everyone starts realizing it's frikkin' serious.  WAY too many "me first, I don't care about you" people out there are making this impossible.

So until there's a vaccine (and by all reports I've seen and read over the past few weeks, it's looking REALLY good for one by the end of the year), cruising for US citizens just won't happen.  And, IMO, as unpopular as I know it would be, I suspect cruise lines might make being vaccinated a condition for cruising.  Just a guess on my part though.

• Thanks 1