URGENT - Change Passwords and Monitor Credit Cards

ann141

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

👍🤫

When I read your name Graham and read "I'm 52, does that count as young? "  but failed to spot your 

tiny  response  " 👍🤫 "   You had me impressed  for a moment :classic_happy:

I had you down for 51 :classic_wink::classic_unsure::classic_smile:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

When I read your name Graham and read "I'm 52, does that count as young? "  but failed to spot your 

64 in October.🤫

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 5:58 PM, nosapphire said:

Not 100% sure, but I think that an initial hack gets a certain amount of data, but not sufficient to be able to immediately start accessing everybody's credit cards and bank accounts.

This is why most hacks are liable to result in a surge of emails and phone calls, when trying to obtain the needed additional information so the hackee (is that a word?) can start spending.

A lot of the information obtained by a hack ends up being sold on the dark web. Criminals operate like detectives and collate details of individuals from a number of sources and data breaches. When they have sufficient information they activate the 'identity' and go for the bank accounts and other assets of the targeted person. The information lost today by Carnival may not be used by criminals for months if not years.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

It is not a simple matter of changing your password on your P&O account, you need to change your passwords on every site where you use the same email address as you use on P&O site because if they have your email address they may have scanned the internet for all accounts with your email address as an entry point. 

I have currently changed P&O, Princess, Cunard, Celebrity, Amazon, Tesco, Sainsburys, Doctor, Dentist, M&S, Radley and I am looking back to check wherever else I have online accounts.

But if you use different passwords on every site, that shouldn't be an issue. Never use the same password for more than one site.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kalos said:

When I read your name Graham and read "I'm 52, does that count as young? "  

I'm 52. Oh, no wait a minute. I will keep forgetting those little apostrophes. I'm 5' 2'' thats better.😁

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

A lot of the information obtained by a hack ends up being sold on the dark web. Criminals operate like detectives and collate details of individuals from a number of sources and data breaches. When they have sufficient information they activate the 'identity' and go for the bank accounts and other assets of the targeted person. The information lost today by Carnival may not be used by criminals for months if not years.

Good information.

I check our cc and bank balances daily and one of the reasons is watching for unknown withdrawals.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kalos said:

We were on a ship today.

A Ferry Across the Mersey to be precise.

Graham

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Do you remember me saying a couple of months ago that people should not be giving banking details to P&O to get refunds? This is why.

I've used the same few passwords for the last fifteen years or so. Never had an issue,  which I know is tempting fate. 

If a company, such as Carnival is hacked, yes, obviously your log in details will be accessed. But as the scammers have no idea what other accounts I have, what secondary security arrangements etc are in place, etc, I am fairly sanguine about my financial security. 

It seems to me that a lot of the angst about online security is the same as concern about your contactless card being closed in the supermarket queue. 

Next time I am in the queue at Lidl (sorry,  Waitrose)I'll make sure no one suspicious brushes up against me in a sports jacket.  (copy right J Walters- Hens in the skirting board sketch)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I've used the same few passwords for the last fifteen years or so. Never had an issue,  which I know is tempting fate. 

If a company, such as Carnival is hacked, yes, obviously your log in details will be accessed. But as the scammers have no idea what other accounts I have, what secondary security arrangements etc are in place, etc, I am fairly sanguine about my financial security. 

It seems to me that a lot of the angst about online security is the same as concern about your contactless card being closed in the supermarket queue. 

Next time I am in the queue at Lidl (sorry,  Waitrose)I'll make sure no one suspicious brushes up against me in a sports jacket.  (copy right J Walters- Hens in the skirting board sketch)

Personally I will not use contactless cards.

I had a contactless debit card but it was in my wallet in my pocket and my credit card was in the card reader ready to pay.

The cashier said my payment had gone through and I said I haven't put my pin in yet.

It turned out payment had been taken from my debit card

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Personally I will not use contactless cards.

I had a contactless debit card but it was in my wallet in my pocket and my credit card was in the card reader ready to pay.

The cashier said my payment had gone through and I said I haven't put my pin in yet.

It turned out payment had been taken from my debit card

In the current environment,  I'd be happier using a contactless card than tapping my number into a machine. I know you can use gloves, but they are a terrible way of transmitting disease.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

In the current environment,  I'd be happier using a contactless card than tapping my number into a machine. I know you can use gloves, but they are a terrible way of transmitting disease.

True but.

Might the card reader at the next till also read my card and I would be paying someone else's bill.

To avoid the problem, you can also buy a RFID blocker for a couple of quid which is a small metal folder which holds your cards (and a few notes/coins if needs be).  

The problem with contactless cards is on crowded public transport / places (admittedly less of a problem now) where someone takes their smartphone, installs a ready to go payment app device and simply scans your wallet for up to £45 a time (and there is no noise or contact required), even if the smartphone is in their pocket do it can't be seen by you. 

This was a problem in London in particular a few years ago (might still be now) and is one of the reasons (the other simple theft of the card itself) why the limit is set low.

Of course if some one steals your actual card, the contactless feature is no protection for online purchases.

• Thanks 1

To my knowledge, no report has been made to the ICO so not expecting that any UK data was accessed.

Each brand uses its own instance of the same software. The are all offline to be safe. They need to find the weakness that allowed one to be exploited and fix it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, No pager thank you said:

To avoid the problem, you can also buy a RFID blocker for a couple of quid which is a small metal folder which holds your cards (and a few notes/coins if needs be).  

The problem with contactless cards is on crowded public transport / places (admittedly less of a problem now) where someone takes their smartphone, installs a ready to go payment app device and simply scans your wallet for up to £45 a time (and there is no noise or contact required), even if the smartphone is in their pocket do it can't be seen by you. 

This was a problem in London in particular a few years ago (might still be now) and is one of the reasons (the other simple theft of the card itself) why the limit is set low.

Of course if some one steals your actual card, the contactless feature is no protection for online purchases.

I was going to say years ago went on amazon and got carboard type rfid blocker wallets. Each of my cards is kept in a seperate one, plus I take a wallet on cruises with me (whenever) so I put my cruise card in one (saves getting it wiped all the time). Never used contactless as its magic. I use it now because we never go shopping now (rarely)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

No, as the transmission range is only 4cm or thereabouts.

I was in Thornton's and my contactless debit card was in my pocket about 3-4 feet away and was charged when my credit card was in the card reader ready to pay for chocolates about 3-4 years ago.

I understand what you are saying but I am saying what happened to me and I went straight to my bank to tell them and cancelled the contactless card.Hopefully since then the banks have solved this problem.

An answer would be to carry cards in a RFID blocker case that protects cards from being scanned.

Graham

Edited by grapau27

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I was in Thornton's and my contactless debit card was in my pocket about 3-4 feet away and was charged when my credit card was in the card reader ready to pay for chocolates about 3-4 years ago.

I understand what you are saying but I am saying what happened to me and I went straight to my bank to tell them and cancelled the contactless card.Hopefully since then the banks have solved this problem.

An answer would be to carry cards in a RFID blocker case that protects cards from being scanned.

Graham

Or, just put a bit of tin foil round your card. Same effect, but a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, grapau27 said:

True but.

Might the card reader at the next till also read my card and I would be paying someone else's bill.

I have never experienced a card reader than was so sensitive Graham, most of them need you to place your card right on top of the window before it accepts it.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We were on a ship today.

A Ferry Across the Mersey to be precise.

Graham

I hope you had a good day out Graham . We enjoyed Liverpool when we sailed with Fred Olsen a few years back

and boarded right next door to the ferry. We liked Liverpool so booked a further weekend a way ,which was good too.:classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, grapau27 said:

True but.

Graham, I doubt you could find anyone who was more suspicious of contactless payments than me

when they first came out . I even went to the lengths  of making a thin piece of card the size of  a £10 

note and covering it in baco-foil to act as a barrier.

As others have said the range is 4cm tops so they are safe .

Have a look at this ...:classic_smile:               

• Thanks 1