Jump to content

Carnival gift cards from AARP - what exactly is the problem?


Recommended Posts

I know it used to be easier to get discounted cards from Carnival (just answers some quizzes and use points to buy cards for 10% off). Now you have to be a member, and it seems like people are losing their crap over this. 

 

I just paid $12 to join for a year, then turned around and saved $260 buying 5 cards ($500 cards are $448). I didn't even have to answer questions or build up points for a few weeks, which was well worth $12 of my time.

 

Is this just a case of people not wanting to do a little work, or expecting too much for nothing?

 

Now let's just hope I can use the cards next year. 😛

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, squierjosh said:

Super. Not really on topic though. Also, don't you have to have Allstate insurance?

No you don't. Many people when AARP changed to their 'new' fulfillment company, migrated from AARP to Allstate to get their gift cards. I did, and I"m glad I did it. :classic_wink:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, squierjosh said:

I know it used to be easier to get discounted cards from Carnival (just answers some quizzes and use points to buy cards for 10% off). Now you have to be a member, and it seems like people are losing their crap over this. 

 

I just paid $12 to join for a year, then turned around and saved $260 buying 5 cards ($500 cards are $448). I didn't even have to answer questions or build up points for a few weeks, which was well worth $12 of my time.

 

Is this just a case of people not wanting to do a little work, or expecting too much for nothing?

 

Now let's just hope I can use the cards next year. 😛

 

You bought 5 Carnival gift cards at one time?

 

I haven't bought through their program for a long time.  The main reason I switched to Allstate was because AARP limited the number of Carnival cards that could be purchased a month.

 

You don't have to have Allstate insurance to participate in their rewards program.  But to each his own.  Do whatever works.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I’m an oddball, but I enjoy the quizzes!  Yes, there are topics where I know the answers, makes me feel smart🤣 🤣!  But, I also learn from those quizzes too. 
 

I agree with Bury Me At Sea, to each his own. Isn’t it wonderful that we have choices on how to save a few bucks . 😁😁

 

🛳🛳

 Bobbi

Edited by Markmom18
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

 

You bought 5 Carnival gift cards at one time?

 

I haven't bought through their program for a long time.  The main reason I switched to Allstate was because AARP limited the number of Carnival cards that could be purchased a month.

 

You don't have to have Allstate insurance to participate in their rewards program.  But to each his own.  Do whatever works.

AARP old limit after converting to the new rewards system was 2 a month

Limit is now 5 a month a little better, but looks like the $500 cards have gone away permanently

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisegus said:

AARP old limit after converting to the new rewards system was 2 a month

Limit is now 5 a month a little better, but looks like the $500 cards have gone away permanently

 

 

Thanks.  I haven't checked the website in months so I appreciate the update.

 

Allstate fits my needs better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cruisegus said:

AARP old limit after converting to the new rewards system was 2 a month

Limit is now 5 a month a little better, but looks like the $500 cards have gone away permanently

 

 

Both the $500 and $100 cards are currently available on the AARP site.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Some people aren't of age to join AARP. But also allstate works and is free. But AARP was a nice backup when anyone could do it.

 

Anyone over 18 can join AARP. I joined a few years ago for the gift cards (I'm 40 now) but probably won't renew.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That must be a recent change.

 

I have a Chase AARP credit card as well, so I'm wondering if I'm going to have to part with that next year if I don't renew or can't renew. That $12 saves me an extra 2% on gas and dining.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Both options are fine with me. I buy from both to keep my accounts going. The AARP membership has always been worth the cost given the number of discounts you get on many other things. Sometimes the $100 cards are gone from Allstate, but right now they are 12% off vs. 10%.  But AARP is instant. 5 a month isn't bad; especially if you also use Allstate. It took AARP over a year to get their crap straight with these cards after they changed to the new program, but it's fine now IMO. Allstate is a pain to set up. So both have their quirks.

 

Overall, a nice option that I will continue using. I no longer hold on to them though - like I used to do in the past. I apply them towards something right away. I don't ever want to be in a situation with a bunch of unused gift cards. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you buy the gift cards on the AARP website? I am a member. Thanks.

I'm looking under Member Benefits, but I don't see gift cards.

 

Edited by 5PUPS
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 5PUPS said:

How do you buy the gift cards on the AARP website? I am a member. Thanks.

I'm looking under Member Benefits, but I don't see gift cards.

 

You have to go to the “Rewards for good” part of the site. Then “Redeem”. The gift cards will be there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 12:33 PM, imkatz said:

so, if we buy the membership we don't have to do the quizzes?

The quizzes won't do you any good since you have to be a member to buy Carnival gift cards 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...