The Daily for Friday Sep 18, 2020

richwmn

1 hour ago, TheKingD said:

Good morning, Rich, Roy and all the dear people.  

I have a relative who was a POW in WWII and he is now in a retirement home in Columbia, SC where they are all on lock-down.  He jokes with his sons about how the nurses and aides at his facility are watching him more closely than any of the Germans ever did!  He says there is no escaping those ladies with all the dangers and fears of the virus ever present.

After reading TiogaCruiser's information about a new ice cream machine, I'm have taken my machine out of the boxes, and I'm going to make my inaugural batch tonight, and I plan to make salted caramel.  We will let that be part of our celebration honoring POW's and MIA's as we pray for all in need and all on Roy's lists.  The ice cream will hopefully take our minds off the fact that, like Toto, we aren't in Kansas any more.

Stay kind,

Cindy

Cindy - have fun with your new machine. Sea salt caramel is my fave.

• Like 4

Good Morning.

Cheeseburgers have just become the menu item for dinner tonight.

Still hazy here with the smoke hanging in the air.  We are suppose to have rain and lightening this afternoon, followed by more rain overnight.

This sunrise photo was taken somewhere off the coast of Mexico in 2013.

1476225_10202528016746878_1733445687_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=_6UBub6Y0qoAX-fTzx6&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=8e2477e6cf2c15a54f7a40a70fdc610d&oe=5F8A1DF7

Val

• Like 11

The question I get asked a lot is if there is a jail onboard the Dam ships. A jail on a ship is known as a brig, not to be confused with a  sailing vessel with two square-rigged masts. Both the former "S" (Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam and Veendam) and the (partially) still current "R" class (Rotterdam, Zaandam, Volendam and Amsterdam) came out with a brig located on A-Deck forward adjacent the paint store. It is/was a one-person brig with a bed, that's it. 

The Vista-class and up did not have a brig and the ones on the "S" an "R"-class ships have been used for storage. As far as I know, the eight brigs were never used in that capacity. I sure never put anyone in there

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Statendam's ECR (Engine Control Room) with the watch (engineer) officer, the hard working tailors (there are usually two-three onboard, headed by a senior tailor) in their domain, and the mascots standing watch on the bridge

003.JPG

004.JPG

028.JPG

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 9

Thanks Rich, Roy, Summer slope, Cat......Definitely not in Kansas any more

I too thought it said turkey Zinfandel!  Lol! Cheese burgers sounds good, but a little too smoky to bbq! 

Enjoy the yacht spotting when cruising,  saw Oprah’s yacht in FLL and Paul Allen’s that looked military in Copenhagen.   And Bill Gates’s off Cozumel.   Saw the eclipse in Dubrovnik last fall.   Even lucky enough to be in Spain when King and Queen of Spain were on board a twin of the Christina. 

0CE20B93-2FEA-4C6D-82E6-B6E96967C994.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 7

Well crap!  As if things couldn’t get worse.  Along with a frost warning tonight (and it does look like frost) now, Teddy is threatening us.

Apparently there are a bunch of highs that will not allow it to veer and head off to sea.

This is the current track:  

7CC81F5E-CA57-4279-9382-6F2C5293134E.thumb.png.6761e2c7e784647c46f419ec6a323c34.png

I sure hope the track changes but already - We’re being warned to put stuff away so I suspect this will be the end of any of my hanging basket pics 😞  The frost will put an end to them so we might as well start clean up.

Hopefully the dahlias make it through.  Heavy as they are, we move them into the pergola and rope them in when we have a sever tropical storm.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As the week ends, I want to thank Rich for the Daily report and Roy for the Care list. DD has been studying Judaism, but hasn't mentioned anything that she is planning today, although Friday challah has become a tradition in the household, along with her cleaning and vacuuming (that's been a big difference in her behaviour! 👍). Apparently today she is making apple challah. I agree with Roy that POWs are true heroes across the world.

Thanks @summer slope for the Rum Punch recipe. It has been enjoyed on many a snorkelling excursion- private and across different cruiselines.

To @kazu I'm hoping that you fare well with the medication. My mom had it and it wasn't a fun time.

18 hours ago, Live4cruises said:

@rafinmd Conventional wisdom says wait until the latter part of the window for shingles shot # 2.  Anecdotally, I know two people who went early and had some reaction.  1 person (me!) held off until toward the end of the window, braced for the worst, and had no trouble.  @rafinmd you have been a pin cushion today!  

I was told this last fall. My second dose was due while I was on a cruise. I asked if I should come before I left, and the NP suggested after.

4 hours ago, TheKingD said:

After reading TiogaCruiser's information about a new ice cream machine, I'm have taken my machine out of the boxes, and I'm going to make my inaugural batch tonight, and I plan to make salted caramel.  We will let that be part of our celebration honoring POW's and MIA's as we pray for all in need and all on Roy's lists.  The ice cream will hopefully take our minds off the fact that, like Toto, we aren't in Kansas any more.

Cindy, that sounds fabulous! Enjoy!

Our city has requested that we roll back the private gatherings again due to rising COVID cases. Please wear a mask and social distance.

Shanah Tovah to those who celebrate! Be well! Stay Safe! Be kind!

Edited by Dismomx5
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, TheKingD said:

Good morning, Rich, Roy and all the dear people.  

I have a relative who was a POW in WWII and he is now in a retirement home in Columbia, SC where they are all on lock-down.  He jokes with his sons about how the nurses and aides at his facility are watching him more closely than any of the Germans ever did!  He says there is no escaping those ladies with all the dangers and fears of the virus ever present.

Stay kind,

Cindy

Congratulations on the new machine. I put my sleeve back in the freezer and am planning a batch of chocolate gelato.

The machine I have my eye on is in my amazon cart. I just have put off finalizing it. Am getting tired of giving up the freezer space to cool the sleeve down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Well crap!  As if things couldn’t get worse.  Along with a frost warning tonight (and it does look like frost) now, Teddy is threatening us.

Apparently there are a bunch of highs that will not allow it to veer and head off to sea.

This is the current track:  

7CC81F5E-CA57-4279-9382-6F2C5293134E.thumb.png.6761e2c7e784647c46f419ec6a323c34.png

I sure hope the track changes but already - We’re being warned to put stuff away so I suspect this will be the end of any of my hanging basket pics 😞  The frost will put an end to them so we might as well start clean up.

Hopefully the dahlias make it through.  Heavy as they are, we move them into the pergola and rope them in when we have a sever tropical storm.  

Well 2020!  I no longer dare say “What next?” Hope things change before next week, Jacqui. Be safe. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 3

The Turley wine is a good one for sure, despite the price. First visited the location when it was sill Pesenti Vineyards making "jug":  wines. When Turley took over the wine got a lot better and a lot more expensive. Never had this particular wine, not at that price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1