So White Bay???

GUT2407

28 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

@gbenjo
Ok , I can dig that.

It was proposed as a temporary thing for Hayes dock but I a reasonable person.

As you said with a big ship such as Oasis there would be a 10,000 or more passenger movements in a turnaround. It would be a logical nightmare.

On a different tangent.

In the Mediterranean the cruise terminals can’t cope with Oasis class and what they do is split the cruise in Rome with the departures from Barcelona.

So if wonder of the sea was here. They could embark 3,000 in Sydney and another 2000 in Brisbane .
The ship could do the islands and return to Sydney for a regular circle.
What’s your thoughts on that graham?  
I will sit down before I read your response.  LOL 

8B8F3379-B926-4A6F-9442-E83522938177.thumb.png.95721110bacfa540bb3aea62938aca8f.png

I don't think the islands are really equipped/suited to handle the big ships on a regular basis, not too many ports with wharfs big enough, NZ better suited to the big ships .This would also add another two days to a cruise to allow for embark/ debark in  both ports and would mean existing pax would have to spend that time in Brissie or Sydney (not such a bad thing if you are from overseas  guess) but for locals..well??

2 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

I don't think the islands are really equipped/suited to handle the big ships on a regular basis, not too many ports with wharfs big enough, NZ better suited to the big ships .This would also add another two days to a cruise to allow for embark/ debark in  both ports and would mean existing pax would have to spend that time in Brissie or Sydney (not such a bad thing if you are from overseas  guess) but for locals..well??

Noumea and Tauranga could handle the big ships,Lelepa was supposed to have a dock?

Wonder is supposed to be geared up for tending but that day I think I’d stay on the ship ,get drunk and hit the water slide.

But in the Mediterranean half the ship goes for a shore excursion while the other half disembark.
I think it would work,it would take the strain off the terminals.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

@gbenjo
Ok , I can dig that.

It was proposed as a temporary thing for Hayes dock but I a reasonable person.

As you said with a big ship such as Oasis there would be a 10,000 or more passenger movements in a turnaround. It would be a logical nightmare.

On a different tangent.

In the Mediterranean the cruise terminals can’t cope with Oasis class and what they do is split the cruise in Rome with the departures from Barcelona.

So if wonder of the sea was here. They could embark 3,000 in Sydney and another 2000 in Brisbane .
The ship could do the islands and return to Sydney for a regular circle.
What’s your thoughts on that graham?  
I will sit down before I read your response.  LOL 

8B8F3379-B926-4A6F-9442-E83522938177.thumb.png.95721110bacfa540bb3aea62938aca8f.png

Are you sure that's the reason?

MSC and other Euro lines have the standard operation amongst most vessels in Europe that boardings and departures are made in many ports along the way. It's just convention that locals from Spain, France, Italy and so on are used to boarding in many ports, and not travelling a long way for a single departure.

Offhand, I'd expect the above is the reason, to fit in with local market expectations and get more business than try to force all Spaniards to travel to Italy for example, which would just cut their market down as the Spaniards would continue to sail with MSC, Costa and so on.

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Noumea and Tauranga could handle the big ships,Lelepa was supposed to have a dock?

Wonder is supposed to be geared up for tending but that day I think I’d stay on the ship ,get drunk and hit the water slide.

But in the Mediterranean half the ship goes for a shore excursion while the other half disembark.
I think it would work,it would take the strain off the terminals.

It would also add to the cost of the cruise as there would be, as well as the extra days, two extra lots  of port  and terminal charges which in Sydney and Brisbane are not cheap, not to mention having to pay for two lots of people like me to get you on board . once again, possible but not probable.

11 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Are you sure that's the reason?

MSC and other Euro lines have the standard operation amongst most vessels in Europe that boardings and departures are made in many ports along the way. It's just convention that locals from Spain, France, Italy and so on are used to boarding in many ports, and not travelling a long way for a single departure.

Offhand, I'd expect the above is the reason, to fit in with local market expectations and get more business than try to force all Spaniards to travel to Italy for example, which would just cut their market down as the Spaniards would continue to sail with MSC, Costa and so on.

I presume you’re referring to terminal congestion is the reason?

I don’t know if it’s the reason ,someone on a forum said it was??

But my point is it can be done and  a thought for relieving terminal congestion here in Sydney.

I remember that the Cunard's QE2 and the Queen Mary were in port at the same time and the Queen Mary berthed at Garden Island. If my memory is right, passengers from QM were processed at White Bay and bused to Garden Island due to Defence security issues at GI. It can be done. Smaller ships than the oversized ones proposed to visit, one day. 🤞 It would be a nightmare with 6000+ passengers. 😲

35 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I remember that the Cunard's QE2 and the Queen Mary were in port at the same time and the Queen Mary berthed at Garden Island. If my memory is right, passengers from QM were processed at White Bay and bused to Garden Island due to Defence security issues at GI. It can be done. Smaller ships than the oversized ones proposed to visit, one day. 🤞 It would be a nightmare with 6000+ passengers. 😲

Yes, it can be done  as a one off but would be a massive pain in the butt and expensive if were to be done all the time and as you say with the BIG ships.

32 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

We were on that cruise and we checked in at Glebe Island . The White Elephant wasnt there then .
Cunard erected a very flash marquee  complete with more than adequate seating ,cold drinks and even a Palm Court Trio. We were processed through customs and then led through a secure area to board a catamaran and Cruised to QM2 . A pontoon was alongside the ship and we simply walked on board .and arrived in the . Ballroom where ship staff issued cruise cards etc. Luggage was dropped off in one end of the marquee and was trucked around to GI . We were overnight at GI and were able to walk ashore the next day and explore Wooloomooloo .

9 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I presume you’re referring to terminal congestion is the reason?

I don’t know if it’s the reason ,someone on a forum said it was??

But my point is it can be done and  a thought for relieving terminal congestion here in Sydney.

Yes, Princess do this already with a number of sailings priced for returns to both Sydney and Brisbane, as both have large  cruise markets. e.g. World or around Australia cruises go Sydney->Brisbane and on, then finish Sydney->Brisbane  (or v.v) and have pricing for each of those ports. Melbourne is also sometimes operated that way too (but has fewer cruises through there, and is not as major a market so makes the economics less positive, whereas extending to/including Sydney out of Brisbane is no issue).

It'd certainly be possible for RCL (group) to do the same, but they go for shorter origin-destination cruises so don't want to add the 2 days on for that, and are not year round so don't typically operate in that way. That's just a business choice though.

Edited by The_Big_M

Some of the Princess "linking" cruises include Auckland as an embarkation/disembarkation port as well.

Mostly it works smoothly except when self-entitled idiots decide that that clearing immigration in Sydney doesn't apply to them. 

I was on a cruise last year, I think to Fiji on Golden Princess, where we had about 600 passengers who started in Adelaide.  Things didn't work out very well because all the Adelaide people had to get off in Melbourne for their passports to be processed and they were kept in the terminal for around 2 hours before being let back on the ship.  The same thing happened on their return.  It was a bit of a nightmare for the South Australians.  Not sure why they couldn't have border force in Adelaide for them. 

I have been on other cruises where we drop off and pick up New Zealanders in Auckland.  That doesn't seem to present a problem.

In Feb 2022 there is another Island cruise that combines Adelaide and Melbourne with 14 nights for Melb and 19 nights for Adelaide.  If you look at the bookings certain cabins are allocated to Adelaide and the others for Melbourne.  Cunard have organised similar combined cruises.

Was Melbourne the last Australian port before Fiji? They may have done it that way because, if the cruise originated in Adelaide, it may have been sold as a Adelaide to Melbourne short cruise as well and pasdports wouldn't have bern needed for that. Better to process all outgoing passengers in Melbourne.

We've had the opposite coming back from PNG where the first stop was Brisbane before the cruise finished in Sydney. We all had to get off the ship to go through immigration, and we couldn't go back on until zero count was reached. Luckily it was on Sun Princess so we were at Portside, with cafes and shops to fill in the time off-ship.

It was sold as Adelaide to Fiji round trip with Melbourne first and last stop.  The other I mentioned for 2022 is March 2nd (not Feb) onboard Sapphire Princess.  Yes similar to your problems on Sun Princess.  I haven't heard people complain when the destination is NZ.

3 hours ago, eamondzhang said:

Ok I have seen another (most recent) CAU plan that still says White Bay will accommodate Pacific Adventure.

So there must be (at least) working on plans in place to fit the ship under the bridge.

Michael

IMHO.......not a chance in hades.......it’s too tall.

58 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

No need. They are picking up White Bay, putting it on the back of a trailer and taking it down to Botany Bay.

Well AFAIK the plan certainly isn't making that assumption - or otherwise it would have a totally different level of planning.

Happy to be proved wrong though - heck if the cruise resumes I'll try and get on an Adventure departure from White Bay myself!

Michael

13 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Been telling you for ears if everyone takes a bucket of water the ship will sit lower plus the water level will go down and it will fit.

see that’s why I am Gut the Nutter.

And you forgot about going under at low tide..........have you and Chilliburn been conspiring 🤔🤔🤔🤔 😂

57 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

And you forgot about going under at low tide..........have you and Chilliburn been conspiring 🤔🤔🤔🤔 😂

Greyham 

I want to run something past you.

When they start accepting submissions for Botany. I was going to use this for a submission on the water slide from the airport.

AND ‘How about  throwing some bags in between passengers?

image.thumb.gif.13cc491ecffbece1d9edca79a4faeca7.gif

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Greyham 

I want to run something past you.

When they start accepting submissions for Botany. I was going to use this for a submission on the water slide from the airport.

AND ‘How about  throwing some bags in between passengers?

image.thumb.gif.13cc491ecffbece1d9edca79a4faeca7.gif

Only problem I can see is getting back to the airport after the cruise. 🤔.  It will all be uphill.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

Personally I can't understand why they don't simply dredge under the bridge to lower the water. Is it because it would interfere with the cross harbour tunnel? Lack of foresight on someone's part there.😁

I have heard that Sydney Ports has enlisted Chilliburn as a consultant  for both the White Bay/ Harbour Bridge problem and also the Port Botany Terminal and the waterslide. There is also a third project that they will be talking to him about.......it is a restaurant to be built  Half way along the elevated waterslide, the name of the restaurant will be .....Pie In The Sky.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

I have heard that Sydney Ports has enlisted Chilliburn as a consultant  for both the White Bay/ Harbour Bridge problem and also the Port Botany Terminal and the waterslide. There is also a third project that they will be talking to him about.......it is a restaurant to be built  Half way along the elevated waterslide, the name of the restaurant will be .....Pie In The Sky.

Is Rod the Architect?