Royal and NCL announce plan for return to sea

jimbo5544

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I wouldn’t spend 5 minutes at any facility that didn’t enforce social distancing and mask rules. To me you are just as guilty if you spent the weekend there after observing the behavior you mentioned. We have been to Disney World multiple times since it reopened. They strictly enforce wearing a mask at all times when you are moving. Even if you have a drink or food in your hand, you have to wear a mask unless you are stationary. I think cruise lines will have no problem enforcing any COVID related rules, although this goes against Carnival’s fun for all, free for all culture. 

Good thing we moved away from "Fun For All. All For Fun." and we're now using "Choose Fun."

13 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I wouldn’t spend 5 minutes at any facility that didn’t enforce social distancing and mask rules. To me you are just as guilty if you spent the weekend there after observing the behavior you mentioned. We have been to Disney World multiple times since it reopened. They strictly enforce wearing a mask at all times when you are moving. Even if you have a drink or food in your hand, you have to wear a mask unless you are stationary. I think cruise lines will have no problem enforcing any COVID related rules, although this goes against Carnival’s fun for all, free for all culture. 

Exactly, Disney did it right.  It works, it can work.  It will work.  

4 hours ago, kamac56 said:

So if I don’t have an excursion set up does that mean you don’t get off the boat?  I would assume no port shopping etc?

The link from rcl said verified excursions which is leaving some to wonder who will verify the private excursions, left up in the air.

My issue is I have a b2b booked, so how can I present a test taken within 5 days of the 2nd leg.,

Lots of unanswered questions. I'd like answers, not more questions. 

As much as I want to get back to cruising, this just doesn't sound like a fun, relaxing way to cruise. I don't like wearing a mask, I do, but I don't like it. Most of the time, we just like to get off the ship and wonder around, exploring. We have a February 2021 cruise scheduled and if these guidelines are in place, I hope Carnival will give you a penalty free cancelation option. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

The theme parks don't permit you to have your mask off with food or drink unless you are stationary. If you're moving, it must be on. And it's enforced.

Sounds like that business establishment you patronized needs some help. Enforcement is strict in my area as businesses can receive big fines if someone reports a mask violation on their property.

Thanks for clarifying.  That seems like a reasonable way to enforce the rule.  

• Like 1

Not sure about the availability of tests in my area.  Also have to consider pre-cruise travel. Like if I am going somewhere for a week pre-cruise.  The biggest deal breaker is the excursions.  If required to use only cruiseline I won't be cruising.  Hope this is clarified before my cruise next June and they give the option to cancel with a full refund.

12 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The link from rcl said verified excursions which is leaving some to wonder who will verify the private excursions, left up in the air.

My issue is I have a b2b booked, so how can I present a test taken within 5 days of the 2nd leg.,

Under this scenario Private excursions would be prohibited just for the fact that private excursions don't necessarily include just people from your ship. Once you introduce additional stipulations for private touring companies that becomes a logistics nightmare which basically means no private excursions. That's what's happening in Europe.

10 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Under this scenario Private excursions would be prohibited just for the fact that private excursions don't necessarily include just people from your ship. Once you introduce additional stipulations for private touring companies that becomes a logistics nightmare which basically means no private excursions. That's what's happening in Europe.

Actually the wording says verified what is posted on the rcl board. Not cruiseline excursions. Some are already thinking their private excursions can get verified as safe. Read thru the thread on the rcl board. I'm aware what msc is doing, I'm going by what it actually says on the release. 

If you read thru the rcl thread on this some dont agree with your interpretation. 

As I said my concern is the test 5 days before boarding, as I have a b2b booked. 

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Actually the wording says verified what is posted on the rcl board. Not cruiseline excursions. Some are already thinking their private excursions can get verified as safe. Read thru the thread on the rcl board. I'm aware what msc is doing, I'm going by what it actually says on the release. 

If you read thru the rcl thread on this some dont agree with your interpretation. 

As I said my concern is the test 5 days before boarding, as I have a b2b booked. 

So let's walk this through. Are you thinking of a scenario where there's a list of approved independent tour operators that guests would be allowed to book? Would these tour operators be allowed to take non ship guests? If these operators are only allowed to have tours with only the same cruiseship guests what would be the incentive for the cruiseline to authorize this? Cruiselines are already working with local tour companies to fulfill the ship sponsored tours. Why would they allow the same company to run their own tours? I really don't see how this would work. Explain to me some of your thoughts on how this could be safely done and what the rationale would be that cruiselines would allow this.  

Edit: Cruiselines generate most of their onboard revenue from TOURS and alcohol sales.

Edited by kwokpot

On 9/21/2020 at 7:53 AM, stellarose said:

I have no issue with doing the cruise ship only excursions.

34 Carnival cruises; have never done a ship-sponsored tour or excursion, so I'm probably a no-no for cruises in the near future. If I can't mix with the locals and go my own way, I'm just not interested. Masks and distancing would eliminate me anyway.

I'll wait for an efficacious vaccine, show proof of it and walk on board.

The problem I have is with getting tested prior to the cruise.  I am cruising on the Friday after Thanksgiving.  If I get tested on Monday I doubt I could get the results back by Wednesday.  Everyone will closed on Thanksgiving.  I would be really nervous at the port waiting on my confirmation on Friday.  I heard the test is covered by insurance, unless you do a rapid test, then you have to pay.  Since I haven't been tested I am not sure my options.

2 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

The problem I have is with getting tested prior to the cruise.  I am cruising on the Friday after Thanksgiving.  If I get tested on Monday I doubt I could get the results back by Wednesday.  Everyone will closed on Thanksgiving.  I would be really nervous at the port waiting on my confirmation on Friday.  I heard the test is covered by insurance, unless you do a rapid test, then you have to pay.  Since I haven't been tested I am not sure my options.

Your option is to WAIT until Carnival confirms exactly what each passenger needs to do and when, where and how.  

14 minutes ago, glrounds said:

You might be waiting a long time.  Everything I have read and heard about vaccines at work (I work in the medical field) indicates initial vaccines are likely to be more like flu vaccines. It will take years, if not longer or possibly never, for a vaccine to be developed that will eradicate this virus. In the mean time COViD guidelines like social distancing and wearing masks are likely to be with us for a long time. However, guidance like these will likely also change over time as scientists, doctors, etc. learn more about this virus. 

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You might be waiting a long time.  Everything I have read and heard about vaccines at work (I work in the medical field) indicates initial vaccines are likely to be more like flu vaccines. It will take years, if not longer or possibly never, for a vaccine to be developed that will eradicate this virus. In the mean time COViD guidelines like social distancing and wearing masks are likely to be with us for a long time. However, guidance like these will likely also change over time as scientists, doctors, etc. learn more about this virus. 

"long time" is very subjective. I am, however, plotting and scheming for another trip to Europe. Loved my London trip several years ago and looking forward to something in the future sans cruising. Too many cruises apparently as I must be jaded. Not going to play the early cruising rules that will most likely be in place. Just not cruising to me. 🙂

22 minutes ago, glrounds said:

34 Carnival cruises; have never done a ship-sponsored tour or excursion, so I'm probably a no-no for cruises in the near future. If I can't mix with the locals and go my own way, I'm just not interested. Masks and distancing would eliminate me anyway.

Just in case there is a mis-perception about how the tours work: thought I'd point out that the cruise-line managed/sponsored excursions are still actually executed by locals.  They've just signed a contract (possibly exclusive) with the cruise line.

Carnival employees make sure you are on the excursion when you meet up on the pier, but haven't led any of the ones I've been on.

2 minutes ago, glrounds said:

"long time" is very subjective. I am, however, plotting and scheming for another trip to Europe. Loved my London trip several years ago and looking forward to something in the future sans cruising. Too many cruises apparently as I must be jaded. Not going to play the early cruising rules that will most likely be in place. Just not cruising to me. 🙂

Well, don't plan to visit London in the next six months - Boris Johnson has indicated the new lock-down rules could last that long.  Pubs close at 10pm, no ordering at the bar, only sit down table service.

I think this is going to linger on far longer than a lot of folks are hoping...

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Well, don't plan to visit London in the next six months - Boris Johnson has indicated the new lock-down rules could last that long.  Pubs close at 10pm, no ordering at the bar, only sit down table service.

Germany or Spain is on the bubble right now, but won't be for at least a year. In the middle of buying a condo in Bullhead or Laughlin. 🙂

9 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I do not even think we have a clue what is going on.  I am POSITIVE that the experts don’t either.

9 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Testing makes a lot of people feel better, but feelings don't equate to results. Quick testing has proven to be anything but remotely reliable.

Yup, it’s all theater. Just like security at many locations — a false sense of safety/security is provided based upon the manipulation of perception.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2020 at 10:36 PM, firefly333 said:

LOL, wouldn’t we all.  Answers are in short supply these days.