New Covid Regulations Coming?

comcox

Found report that has been given by medical consultants for recommendations to U.S. cruise lines as what they need to do to safely restart cruising: https://www.royalcaribbeangroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Healthy-Sail-Panel_Full-Recommendations_9.21.20_FINAL.pdf

Quite a lengthy document but list of 74 recommendations starts on page 9.

31 minutes ago, comcox said:

Found report that has been given by medical consultants for recommendations to U.S. cruise lines as what they need to do to safely restart cruising: https://www.royalcaribbeangroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Healthy-Sail-Panel_Full-Recommendations_9.21.20_FINAL.pdf

Quite a lengthy document but list of 74 recommendations starts on page 9.

The recommendations were put together by the cruise lines of the Royal Caribbean and NCL groups for presentation as their recommendations to the CDC, not by the regulators at the CDC to the cruise lines. The actual details of how they would actually be out into use are still needed before the CDC can approve or reject them.

• Like 1

I just saw on the news that UA has a COVID test with 15 min return on their flights from SFO to Hawaii - the neg tests preventing a 14 day quarantine.

I suspect it's not perfect but certainly a move in the right direction for both cruise lines and airlines.

22 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The recommendations were put together by the cruise lines of the Royal Caribbean and NCL groups for presentation as their recommendations to the CDC, not by the regulators at the CDC to the cruise lines. The actual details of how they would actually be out into use are still needed before the CDC can approve or reject them.

Yes, I know but Oceania is owned by NCL group so these recommendations so apply to them.  This morning I received a notice from Azamara which is owned by RCCL and that outlines the upcoming process a bit better:

"This week the recommendations were submitted to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in response to their request for public comment to help develop future health and safety measures for the industry. The Panel has concluded that with a comprehensive set of protocols backed by health and science experts, cruising can take a step forward to returning and sailing safer in today’s environment.

In total, the Healthy Sail Panel has made 74 recommendations across five core focuses, all based on insights from the most trusted medical and scientific information in the world. If you would like to read the Panel’s 74 detailed best practices, you can do so here. They include guidance on testing, screening, ventilation, contingency planning, and destination and excursion planning.

Moving forward these recommendations are publicly available and all cruise lines and the travel industry at large can leverage these protocols. Our industry has a collective responsibility for the highest safety standards; we do not compete on this. We have one common goal and that is a safer resumption of cruising. And we are determined to get there through collaboration, not competition. Our colleagues at CLIA and other cruise lines have been collaborating in the work and have freely shared important insights they’ve learned from their own experts and successes with early sailings."

2 hours ago, comcox said:

Yes, I know but Oceania is owned by NCL group so these recommendations so apply to them.  This morning I received a notice from Azamara which is owned by RCCL and that outlines the upcoming process a bit better:

"This week the recommendations were submitted to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in response to their request for public comment to help develop future health and safety measures for the industry. The Panel has concluded that with a comprehensive set of protocols backed by health and science experts, cruising can take a step forward to returning and sailing safer in today’s environment.

In total, the Healthy Sail Panel has made 74 recommendations across five core focuses, all based on insights from the most trusted medical and scientific information in the world. If you would like to read the Panel’s 74 detailed best practices, you can do so here. They include guidance on testing, screening, ventilation, contingency planning, and destination and excursion planning.

Moving forward these recommendations are publicly available and all cruise lines and the travel industry at large can leverage these protocols. Our industry has a collective responsibility for the highest safety standards; we do not compete on this. We have one common goal and that is a safer resumption of cruising. And we are determined to get there through collaboration, not competition. Our colleagues at CLIA and other cruise lines have been collaborating in the work and have freely shared important insights they’ve learned from their own experts and successes with early sailings."

You've missed the point of my post. I'm fully aware of the fact that Oceania is part of the NCL group and that Azamara is part of the Royal Caribbean group. 

The point I was making is that this document is an outline of proposals from those cruise line holding companies to the CDC that still need to have meat put onto their bones before the CDC can consider them as answers to the requirements imposed in the CDC No Sail Order.

Edited by njhorseman

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You've missed the point of my post. I'm fully aware of the fact that Oceania is part of the NCL group and that Azamara is part of the Royal Caribbean group. 

The point I was making is that this document is an outline of proposals from those cruise line holding companies to the CDC that still need to have meat put onto their bones before the CDC can consider them as answers to the requirements imposed in the CDC No Sail Order.

so, likely that No Sail order will be extended until CDC is comfortable with the proposals and implementation?  CLIA had assigned a one month buffer (Oct 31), wondering whether that self imposed ban will suffice....

1 hour ago, nikless said:

so, likely that No Sail order will be extended until CDC is comfortable with the proposals and implementation?  CLIA had assigned a one month buffer (Oct 31), wondering whether that self imposed ban will suffice....

The cruise lines are definitely hoping that the self-imposed October 31 date will mark the end of the ban.

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Yes. What the cruise lines propose may have little or nothing to do with what CDC (and other intl. organizations) require. PLUS all the countries that people want to travel to.

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Cruising in US waters will probably start last. Ocean lines will be sailing elsewhere around the world long before of governmental bureaucracy does anything.

Has there been any announcement what other nations are going to allow? I know my English friends who have been in Switzerland for the last month are going to have to self-isolate for 14 days when they return home this weekend.

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Cruising in US waters will probably start last. Ocean lines will be sailing elsewhere around the world long before of governmental bureaucracy does anything.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Has there been any announcement what other nations are going to allow? I know my English friends who have been in Switzerland for the last month are going to have to self-isolate for 14 days when they return home this weekend.

Ocean cruising already returned to a limited extent elsewhere...including some cruises on Costa, MSC, Hapag-Lloyd, Paul Gauguin, Ponant and TUI among others. Some river cruises have also resumed: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5603/

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Ocean cruising already returned to a limited extent elsewhere...including some cruises on Costa, MSC, Hapag-Lloyd, Paul Gauguin, Ponant and TUI among others. Some river cruises have also resumed: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5603/

I didn't go through the entire list but it appears that most exclude US citizens and many are single country cruises for citizens of that country. Makes sense.

Speculations about cruising resuming to Europe first neglects the fact that the second wave of the Covid virus has emerged in a number of European countries.  They are going on at least partial shutdown.  On the other hand, more Caribbean ports are open to Americans, so it is more likely that the Miami to Miami cruises will begin first.

25 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

Speculations about cruising resuming to Europe first neglects the fact that the second wave of the Covid virus has emerged in a number of European countries.  They are going on at least partial shutdown.  On the other hand, more Caribbean ports are open to Americans, so it is more likely that the Miami to Miami cruises will begin first.

It's not speculation about cruises in Europe, it already happened...read my previous post. A limited number of cruise lines already resumed, including MSC and Costa. Whether they have to shut down again is an entirely different question.

• Like 1

Neither of my two upcoming cruises are in EU or the US. Istanbul-Dubai and BA-Lima. 

Oceania has the opportunity with both to work on protocols and figure out what works best without dealing with artificial conditions.

If the US government wishes to continue the shutdown of cruises from US ports, Miami in particular, with the resulting loss of thousands of jobs, that’s clearly within their purview. My cruises don’t disrupt their nature.

Edited by pinotlover

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It's not speculation about cruises in Europe, it already happened...read my previous post. A limited number of cruise lines already resumed, including MSC and Costa. Whether they have to shut down again is an entirely different question.

but only to citizens of  certain Countries  

9 hours ago, Ladys Mom said:

.....more Caribbean ports are open to Americans, so it is more likely that the Miami to Miami cruises will begin first.

But most of the Caribbean requires quarantine/self isolation for a couple of weeks, certainly for US and UK citizens....so there is no way to enter any port for a few hours, on that basis! 😉

Edited by hamrag

Well, the no sail order expires in 4 days.  

So we should have a partial answer about US - Caribbean cruises within 120 hours...if the order is lifted, then the next step will be amending itineraries based on availability of ports for the November cruises.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 7:07 AM, njhorseman said:

More meat?  Isn’t 69 pages outlining protocols enough.  You can fly a plane with less paperwork.

9 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

More meat?  Isn’t 69 pages outlining protocols enough.  You can fly a plane with less paperwork.

Yes...and both Richard Fain and Frank Del Rio say so:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5607/

"Fain and Del Rio said each company will use the panel's recommendations to inform the development of new, detailed operating protocols, which will be submitted to the CDC and other authorities around the globe for review and approval -- an important milestone in the process of resuming sailing around the world."

• Like 1

If it were up to the CDC they would prefer that there never be any more cruises at all. The CDC would like to see the US on permanent lockdown, mandatory masks for everyone at all times, having us all living in fear if disease for the rest of our lives. They have managed to put themselves in the position of being totally in control of how Americans get to live and work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, susiesan said:

If it were up to the CDC they would prefer that there never be any more cruises at all. The CDC would like to see the US on permanent lockdown, mandatory masks for everyone at all times, having us all living in fear if disease for the rest of our lives. They have managed to put themselves in the position of being totally in control of how Americans get to live and work.

Uh-Oh

• Haha 1