My thoughts on Cruising

Gigi11111

I'm 68 years old, and have not stopped my routines, continued to work, etc ever since this started.

It all comes down to common sense and responsibility. 

I do not believe half the things the media reports..,,.its been nothing but inconsistencies, and every source is different.

and I am not brainwashed with this hysteria about mask wearing.

We are Diamond Plus, I am saying that only to show we have our history with cruising. When we go on a cruise, there are things we look forward to, expect,  and perhaps take for granted they will be there from the moment we drop off our luggage and throughout the cruise.

If the cruise lines implement too many changes and restrictions, to me, that woful;d take away the experience we have come to enjoy.

I'm not afraid to cruise, but if it changes to much then my cruising days are over. There are many other things I can do with my money, where I can have my freedoms and be myself.

We have deposits on 2 cruises in 2021....we will see how this all comes down by then.

• Like 9

Of all our cruises, we have never picked up the Noro bug....I believe thats because we follow some common sense gjuidelines.

Example; I have seen too. many things in the windjammer....if we are not one of the first people in there when they open other doors, then we do not go.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Crap shoot.

Your analysis of the present state of affairs is on point ... my wife and I are moving to a much shorter planning cycle for cruises to allow for all the changes going on in the 'new cruising' to settle down ... we don't anticipate being able to seriously plan until this "crap shoot" atmosphere subsides, perhaps in the 2nd quarter of '21 ...

It’s interesting and disappointing reading threads like this. 

It does explain why Noro and Influenza will always be a problem on cruises, and why we will wait out Covid.  Denial. 

It’s not a river in Egypt, people. 

good luck, Royal, many of your customers will not be cruising for a long time. 

• Like 2

Couldn't have said it better than OP myself.  No one is making anyone cruise.  I am one of those that has exactly zero concern about Covid.  I have not changed my life, routine or activities in any meaningful way other than certain things being closed and not having the option.  

That being said, I really do believe we will see sailings start to resume on 11/1/20 in a limited capacity.  I feel that if the CDC was going to extend the no sail order they would have done it last Thursday as they have every other time.  I just booked on the Oasis on 12/6/20 and have a reasonable level of confidence that we are going to sail.  If not, we will go somewhere else and rebook the cruise a few months out.  Traveling is very inexpensive right now and I am taking advantage of it every chance I get.  There are plenty of Caribbean islands open to US tourists with either a health declaration or a negative test result within a certain time frame (see this link https://www.timeout.com/usa/news/all-the-caribbean-countries-that-are-currently-open-for-tourism-091620#:~:text=British%20Virgin%20Islands%3A%20Not%20currently,currently%20open%20to%20U.S.%20visitors. for a list of open countries and restrictions).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CMHMCOCDG said:

I feel that if the CDC was going to extend the no sail order they would have done it last Thursday as they have every other time. 

With every passing day, I feel more and more the same way. Other times, as the no sail order expiration date approached, the cruise lines remained quiet, and even voluntarily agreed to not sail until a later date.

This time, things have looked different for weeks now. The cruise lines have been very vocal about reopening, with plans of action in place, and became proactive about recalling crew members and delineating what ships would resume sailing first.

It seems to me like the cruise lines know more than they are saying. Maybe they received word from the CDC that the no sail order would not be extended past Sept 30th? Otherwise, why would the start recalling crew members, something that they didn’t do before? 

Just speculating, but I do feel more and more confident that cruising will indeed restart in November, but it will be with on a very limited basis and with all the protocols that we’ve already seen in Europe. I’m just going to sit here with a big bucket of buttery popcorn and a beer and wait. 

• Like 1

I hope y'all are right about the November start date. We have a cruise booked for Thanksgiving week and are looking forward to it. I have said I will not take a vaccine but am undecided about masks. I do not like them, I have a hard time breathing in them, and do not believe all the hype about them because the recommendations seem to change on the daily. I have seen too many negatives about them and personally believe it is a power trip for some politicians. That being said, we shall see what happens in the near future.

We also have one booked for July 2021 and hope things are getting back to normal by then. (For those that want to go negative on that statement, keep it to yourself. We have heard it all and I choose to be hopeful. 😉)

2 hours ago, hloakes said:

I hope y'all are right about the November start date. We have a cruise booked for Thanksgiving week and are looking forward to it. I have said I will not take a vaccine but am undecided about masks. I do not like them, I have a hard time breathing in them, and do not believe all the hype about them because the recommendations seem to change on the daily. I have seen too many negatives about them and personally believe it is a power trip for some politicians. That being said, we shall see what happens in the near future.

We also have one booked for July 2021 and hope things are getting back to normal by then. (For those that want to go negative on that statement, keep it to yourself. We have heard it all and I choose to be hopeful. 😉)

Confused, from what I read, most folks don't think cruising will resume in November 

• Thanks 1

I wouldnt take a cruise even if it was for free if it had any restrictions .

So i will wait it out until this virus is a faint memory . 

I cant fathom the thought of being stuck in a cabin for weeks if there was an outbreak.

And i book outside balconies, can you imagine an inside ...  lol 

If you want to cruise , then i hope you have a nice cruise. 

On 9/26/2020 at 3:15 PM, Gigi11111 said:

I see so much bickering in regards to what is right and wrong with Cruising now.

My thought is if you feel you are nervous to Cruise then DON'T Cruise when they finally resume

Just stay Home or vacation in a way you feel safe

For those of us that are not nervous we can Cruise hopefully soon

My fingers are crossed that my Cruise happens in March

What I say, be responsible for you. 

• Like 3

On 9/26/2020 at 9:14 PM, B-52 said:

I am not brainwashed with this hysteria about mask wearing.

And that's what I'm afraid of, 3000 passengers boarding a cruise ship at port do whatever you like Florida. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Confused, from what I read, most folks don't think cruising will resume in November 

No one knows one way or the other. but they have not cancelled the November cruises, yet. Hopefully the first part of October we will know something.

I am not afraid to cruise but I am concerned that too  quick of a restart to cruising could actually set the industry back if too many outbreaks occur.  So far it seems like things are overall going OK with the European cruises but the countries they are sailing from seem to have a better handle on Covid than the US does.  Since I want to go on cruises in Europe, I am anticipating a long wait before I will be permitted to go to Europe to take those cruises.  I am content to wait til 2022 to cruise next.

• Like 2