Breakaway and Getaway on the move!

PelicanBill

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

Did these ships already have scrubbers for the exhaust?  Maybe that's what those are?

I always thought scrubbers were internally installed, even with a retrofit. BA and GA were up for scrubbers according to https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22463-wartsila-to-provide-scrubbers-for-norwegian-breakaway-and-getaway.html but didn't they already had a dry dock this year?

Now I did found for example RCCL's Independence of the Seas getting (smaller) scrubbers retrofitted in 2016 at the exact same spot; https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2324414-horrible-new-scrubber-funnels-on-freedom-class/

But those BA/GA ones are big!

I am 50/50 about it, why time lapse the removal of a rock climbing wall? Assuming the time lapse recording is for commercial/pax use of course. The front cuts at the funnel are probably necessary. And what's up with the "winged" platforms, might also house piping?

Maybe @chengkp75 can identify them, there's a lot of brand new steel in the picture below so I assume this is under those new wing shaped installments at the funnel base. Added a close up of the bottom of a flying scrubber before installment, over the head of the two folks on the sports court.

3.jpg

• Like 1

Wow thanks for all this!

Breakaway's berth is a dry dock and it was dry for a time earlier this year.  Someone had posted a rumor of scrubber installation but seems certain that is what is happening now for both ships.  And more.

23 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

A close up of GA taken from BA. 

EkDi5-PWoAEWGLB.jpg

I added a aerial view of BA (couldn't find a right GA one :classic_blush:) to point out the cuts made to the funnel:

edit.jpg

Here is the GA from Sept. 2018.  You can kind of see the slope at the front (a little dark).

IMG_1533.JPG

Edited by GA Dave

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

sounds crazy but maybe they are removing it for now to try and squeeze in a go kart track like what they are trying to do with the Escape

Hm, difficult to say. The funnel structure seems to be in a pretty far phase, any track structure should also have been visible by then. 

The rope course seems to be placed back on GA, but those new exhausts are quite close so it might be smaller sized... it appears on the aerial that GA has two scrubbers and a partial rope course versus the no scrubbers and no rope course shown earlier.

On 10/16/2020 at 10:22 AM, shof515 said:

sounds crazy but maybe they are removing it for now to try and squeeze in a go kart track like what they are trying to do with the Escape

I think the ropes course space along is nowhere near enough for a go kart track.  You'd have to kill Spice H2O and I think there would be a revolt.  Well at least from me LOL.

• Like 5

"The technology group Wärtsilä will supply Hybrid Scrubber system packages, specially customized to meet the specific needs of two cruise vessels. The ships are owned and operated by Norwegian Cruise Line. The 325 metres long ‘Norwegian Breakaway’ and ‘Norwegian Getaway’ vessels will be fitted with Wärtsilä scrubber systems, enabling them to be in compliance with the International Maritime Organization’s sulphur restriction legislation while operating on heavy fuel oil. The legislation became effective in January 2020. Customization of the system was required in order to meet the ships’ restricted space availability. The Wärtsilä hybrid solution allows flexibility in the cleaning of sulphur from the exhaust gases. When operating in closed-loop mode, the wash water circulates from the scrubber unit to a process tank, with seawater being used as make-up replenishment water as needed.

The Wärtsilä equipment is scheduled for delivery in the first half of 2020."

https://steelguru.com/logistic/w-rtsil-to-supply-hybrid-scrubbers-to-2-norwegian-cruise-line-ships/556559

"According to Wärtsilä, the scrubber systems have been "specially customised to meet the specific needs’ of the two cruise ships – which included adapting ‘to meet the ships’ restricted space availability"."

https://www.maritimebusinessworld.com/wartsila-to-provide-scrubbers-for-norways-breakaway-and-getaway-876h.htm

To add; Breakaway Plus class ships are equipped with internal scrubbers when they were built and do not require a retro fit.

Edited by FreestyleNovice
  • Like 4

Never having been on these ships, I can't say what is happening with what amenity, or what the new structures are.  As far as "customization" of scrubbers for these two ships, nearly every install of a system like this requires some customization from the "normal" design.  From what I see in the photos, the scrubbers being used are the Wartsila "in line" scrubbers, which agrees with the work done since 2008 across the fleet, using the inline, individual engine type of scrubber.  These scrubbers typically replace the existing "silencer" (think car muffler) that is in every engine's exhaust stack.  However, to get them into the ship requires taking the upper sections of the engines' exhaust pipe off, and sections of the funnel and top deck, to lower them into place, which appears to be what is going on.  There is also some space needed for the scrubber water treatment system, especially for a "closed" or "hybrid" system that needs to treat and recycle the scrubber water, so again, without knowing the amount of space available in the uptakes (the upper deck levels below the funnels inside those "white areas"), I can't say what additional space they would need, but certainly not the large towers shown.

RCI has gone with the "multi-engine" type scrubber, where instead of each engine getting it's own scrubber, several are piped together to one scrubber, and this and the bypass arrangement for these scrubbers takes up more volume than the in-line type.

Purely speculation, but those towers could be scrubbers for the boilers (though still too big, I think), or an exhaust gas, or "waste heat" boiler arrangement to save fuel and recover heat from the exhaust gas of the engines.

• Like 6

Yes, those look like the "in line" scrubbers installed in the existing exhaust pipes, so that does not explain the large towers behind the funnel.  But, looking at the photo of the top of the stacks, those blue things look like a motor operated damper that would divert exhaust gas, and the large round flange in the foreground leads me to think more about a waste heat boiler, where they would divert the exhaust gas from going straight up the stack to the boiler as needed, to recover heat from the exhaust gas to create steam for hot water and heating.

• Like 4

chengkp75, does a system you describe needs that amount of space also around the base of the funnel (in the old setup that's were the air vents were, where extra structure is added)? I assumed the whole exterior installation was for the scrubbers, I am surprised to see actually scrubbers/exhaust in the existing funnel. :classic_blink:

And great pics Cruise Wonderland! :classic_love: