The Daily for Monday Oct 12, 2020

richwmn

today is World Arthritis Day, Old Farmer's Day, and Moment of Frustration Day

Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian Members!

Do not believe in miracles -- rely on them.

Meal suggestion for today - Chicken Posole

Drink of the Day - Planter's Punch

Wine of the day - Bodegas Alto Moncayo Garnacha Campo de Borja Veraton vintage 2014

Balboa Anchorage
Koningsdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Caracas Bay
Oosterdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay GB
Volendam
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam

1012World.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

In the US, today is Columbus Day - a national holiday. I did not include it in the main post due to the many ideas that have come out in the last few years about the holiday and if it should be celebrated.

In any case, banks and government offices are closed today. Hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, richwmn said:

In the US, today is Columbus Day - a national holiday. I did not include it in the main post due to the many ideas that have come out in the last few years about the holiday and if it should be celebrated.

In any case, banks and government offices are closed today. Hope everyone has a great day.

And it is Thanksgiving Day in Canada!  

Just out of interest can anyone confirm what the French-Canadians call 'Thanksgiving Day'?  Is it really 'Jour de l'Action de grâce' as shown on google?

Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadians everywhere!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

And it is Thanksgiving Day in Canada!  

Just out of interest can anyone confirm what the French-Canadians call 'Thanksgiving Day'?  Is it really 'Jour de l'Action de grâce' as shown on google?

Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadians everywhere!

Generally speaking, Quebec is quite casual about Thanksgiving.  Some cities/areas don’t celebrate and if they do, it’s not necessarily with turkey and pumpkin pie.  It’s not that popular in Quebec.  It’s not a popular holiday in a lot of areas of Quebec.

Yes, the French speaking regions do call the day Action de Grâce 

• Like 5

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Where I live (at least my county) we are calling it Indigenous Peoples Day.  I've added Arthritis to my care list today.  I have at least one old but active farmer in my family.  Many moments of frustration in these trying times.  Not convinced on the quote.  Not familiar with Chicken Posole but it will be takeout from McDonalds today anyway since I have 2 early evening meetings at the fire house.  My alternate menu suggestion is Chilled Strawberry Bisque, Chicken Scaloppini , and Apricot Crisp as served on the Amsterdam October 12, 2017.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax getting ready for surgery

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Burnout at work, especially Live4cruises

California and Colorado Wildfires

those affected by Delta

those with Arthritis

Kazu’s sister, niece, and BIL

Debbie’s nephew and his girlfriend
Denise’s friend with stage 4 metastatic lung cancer (but pleased she’s comfortable).

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Sharon’s son’s birthday

Family get-together for Norseh2o

fatcat’s son emerging unhurt from a bad accident

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Congrats Lakers (And NBA for a Covid-free season)

cruisin single helping Colorado firefighters

Lifting of some evacuation orders in Colorado

17 Covid-free days in New Zealand

ger_77's neighbors

and Thanksgiving in Canada

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Generally speaking, Quebec is quite casual about Thanksgiving.  Some cities/areas don’t celebrate and if they do, it’s not necessarily with turkey and pumpkin pie.  It’s not that popular in Quebec.  It’s not a popular holiday in a lot of areas of Quebec.

Thanks for the confirmation.   It was just a question that flashed into my brain during a wakeful period last night. 😲

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Let’s hope science can find a cure or more help with Arthritis.  Famers of all ages deserve to be celebrated.  

Moment of Frustration Day?  I think 2020 has been many moments of frustration year 😉 

Love the quote.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion as it is Thanksgiving.

844E48B8-EC66-4E40-9FD5-A1780F379DB3.jpeg.3a871d7b4114476a70cc65bbf4e9dd14.jpeg

Prayers to those on Roy’s Care list & to those who need them and a tip of the hat to those on his Celebration list.

Have a great Thanksgiving/Columbus day or a great Monday if you are not celebrating either day.  Stay safe and well and don’t forget your masks. 😷 

• Like 15

Good morning to all! 

Thank you, Roy, for adding Matt and Laura to the prayer list.  We gratefully accept all prayers at this time.  

Chicken posole looks like something I would enjoy.  I'll have to make up a batch sometime soon.  

I am thankful to the farmers.  Without them, we don't eat.  Or at least I don't.  I am well acquainted with arthritis,  unfortunately.  Two knee replacements have helped, but the back is still problematic.  I think 2020 has been a year of frustration, in more ways than one.  Hopefully, 2021 will be better.  

I'm off to deliver my ballot to the drop box outside the Board of Elections.  

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, kazu said:

While there are not that many English speakers left in Quebec, I know Thanksgiving is a very special day for my family.

Roy

• Like 9

For our Canadian's Thanksgiving and Old Farmers Day:

farm jokes – Nutsrok

Good morning Rich. Thank you so much for posting our Daily.

I definitely believe in miracles, and I'll bet @fatcat04 does as well with her son being spared a vehicle accident.

Allen loves posole, me not so much unless you leave out the hominy. 🙄

Goodness, the name of today's wine is so long it needs 2 labels on the bottle.

Good morning to my sisters Ann and Denise. Love you girls.

Thanks to Roy, Jacqui, Ann and Summer for all the inputs. Thank you especially Roy for keeping the care list up to date.

Looking at the Thanksgiving photo's from yesterday's Daily... yum. Can you imagine what our Daily will look like during our holidays coming up? Really looking forward to that! We can group celebrate virtually!

Our mason Claudio has been super busy working 12+ hours a day. I told him we can wait to have the flag stone on front porch and walk til he can catch up. He said he is very thankful I passed out his cards at our two ladies luncheons, as he's gotten a lot of work from them. Our next project will be extending our back patio. Maybe in the spring.

Happy day to all. God bless you. Believe in miracles. Pray for our nation.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Retired now but I was a US federal employee.  When I used to tell friends I was off work for the Columbus Day Holiday they would seem confused.......  🙂   Most have not heard of it.

• Like 8

In 2015 I sailed transatlantic on the Allure of the Seas, and as I often do combined it with a transatlantic in the opposite direction on Queen Mary 2.  This is the sunrise October on QM2:

dawn1012.jpg

Roy

PS: I will try to do another installment on the 2003 trip today but it won't happen until evening at best.

• Like 20

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Roy thank you for your lists! We seem to be keeping you quite busy with them. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Denise, so happy to hear that your friend is resting comfortably. Joy - love how you have shared Claudio’s info with your community! Thank you for mentioning that the meal of the day has hominy in it - not a fan.

Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian neighbors! May you enjoy this day in spite of the craziness of this year! Three of my grandparents immigrated from Quebec, but I never heard them mention Thanksgiving outside of November.

Another crazy combo of days: arthritis, farmers & frustration - all in one day. I am sure the first two have had more than their share of frustrations this year. Heck- we all have!

I am fairly certain I have at least seen today’s drink on a bar menu, but I do not believe I have ever had one. I will respectfully disagree with the quote. Though I believe in miracles, I do not want on to rely on them. I prefer to take action to try & make things better.

Prayers to all who need our support! A shout out to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone.

This Grenache (garnacha) from Spain has great ratings - all released vintages. The price for the 2014 vintage starts at $28.99. I am not familiar with this wine. Not sure if the balsamic notes appeal to me. I have no idea what “in the modern style” means for this wine. Anyone want to add your thoughts?

#27 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

Alto Moncayo Veraton offers attractive collection of balsamic notes, as well as notes of chocolate and black fruits. It is very warm in the mouth and has an extremely pleasant finish.

WS92 Wine Spectator
Expressive flavors of cherry, raspberry and dark chocolate mingle in this polished red, balanced by notes of licorice and wild herbs. The tannins are well-integrated, and balsamic acidity keeps this balanced. Dense and harmonious, in the modern style. Drink now through 2022.

• Like 16

@kazu and @rafinmd

Jacqui and Roy: Thanks Roy for "skunk  gate" on the cares list. I believe the prayers, moth balls, fox spray and cayenne pepper has done the trick so far! 

@cat shepard quote:

I will respectfully disagree with the quote. Though I believe in miracles, I do not want on to rely on them. I prefer to take action to try & make things better.

I agree with you Ann. You can pray for a miracle, but never expect or rely on them.

• Like 8

Good morning.  What a great group of days.  We need our farmers.  Thank you Rich and Roy for the lists. I don't fully agree with the quote.  Will pass on the menu.

I think all of 2020 is a moment of frustration.

Prayers for our list and for those who don't need they need them.  Miracles sure are needed right now.  Congratulations to the others on the list.

Planters Punch:

Ingredients
3 ounces dark rum
3/4 once lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 ounce simple syrup
1 barspoon grenadine
3 dashes Angostura bitters
1 splash soda water
Garnish: mint sprig

Steps
Add all the ingredients into a shaker with ice, and shake vigorously.
Strain into a Collins glass over crushed ice.
Top with a splash of soda water.
Garnish with a mint sprig.

• Like 12

This Grenache (garnacha) from Spain has great ratings - all released vintages. The price for the 2014 vintage starts at $28.99. I am not familiar with this wine. Not sure if the balsamic notes appeal to me. I have no idea what “in the modern style” means for this wine. Anyone want to add your thoughts?

----------------------------------------------------------

The terms are derived from the way the wines are typically made, with traditional wines generally aged in used oak or cement vats, while modern wines tend to be produced with stainless steel or new oak. The resulting displays of fruit and textural nuances from these different techniques result in the two camps.“

He adds, “These are broad terms, though, as there are many traditional wines that also have lots of fruit, and modern wines that offer more than just a display of fruit. In fact, one could argue that the best wines manage to have a little of both sides in the mix.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the daily report and lists of the day as well as everyone's comments.  I think I will still continue to celebrate Columbus Day as we always did as it is a part of our history.  Just imagine the bravery of those explorers of long ago as they set sail searching for new lands.  

My daughter posted a beautiful picture on Instagram of some "Octoberish" cookies she made to give to co-workers and friends and I wish I could figure out a way to copy it and put it here to show you.  I'm not the best at the technical aspects of that type of thing.  I will think on it.  

121257805_621037231923752_3339443546769202065_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fatl1-2.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=2d7F_EskybsAX8YMR4e&_nc_tp=24&oh=68a3e72d056063bf6e1e56c092792ba3&oe=5FAD84C2

EDITED:

Well I tried everything I could think of and came up with the above.  I hope it shows up for everyone since it was copied and pasted and that only works part of the time.  

I think she does a beautiful job since she is not a cookie baker by profession.  She's a teacher, a realtor, and a string art maker.   Those ghosts are so cute!!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
picture added
  • Like 18

6 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

----------------------------------------------------------

The terms are derived from the way the wines are typically made, with traditional wines generally aged in used oak or cement vats, while modern wines tend to be produced with stainless steel or new oak. The resulting displays of fruit and textural nuances from these different techniques result in the two camps.“

He adds, “These are broad terms, though, as there are many traditional wines that also have lots of fruit, and modern wines that offer more than just a display of fruit. In fact, one could argue that the best wines manage to have a little of both sides in the mix.

Thank you, Joy!  I have even had some Cabernet Sauvignon wines aged in bourbon barrels, and am amazed at the difference the aging “vehicle” can make. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you, Joy!  I have even had some Cabernet Sauvignon wines aged in bourbon barrels, and am amazed at the difference the aging “vehicle” can make. 

Ann we had a winery just below our home in Coeur d'Alene. They made wine in the stainless steel vats. They have a Voignier that is delicious, and about $25 a bottle. 

• Like 7