San Juan Cruise

msjazzymiss

I have a cruised scheduled for April 2021(hopefully the pandemic will be under control by then).  I will be flying out of FLL (Fort Lauderdale) to 

San Juan but returning into Miami.  I’ve booked a return flight leaving San Juan approx. 9:15 am.  I know most ships get into port around 6-7 am.  Opinions please.  Am I cutting it too close to make my return flight home?

1 hour ago, msjazzymiss said:

I have a cruised scheduled for April 2021(hopefully the pandemic will be under control by then).  I will be flying out of FLL (Fort Lauderdale) to 

San Juan but returning into Miami.  I’ve booked a return flight leaving San Juan approx. 9:15 am.  I know most ships get into port around 6-7 am.  Opinions please.  Am I cutting it too close to make my return flight home?

Highly discourage that plan!!!   Are you going to do "Easy Walk Off?" Even if you are the first person off the ship, traffic can be problematic, and then

Are you aware that there are TWO separate security screenings from SJU?

Actually, the first is an Agricultural screening!  Meaning, your bags must be inspected to make certain that you are not taking certain items on the plane with you.

SEE:  http://www.aeropuertosju.com/en/passengers/enusda/

After you have passed through this screening, you will proceed to typical security screening(s).

Edited by ggTexasGal
added Easy Walk Off?
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, msjazzymiss said:

Actually, imo, you're cutting it too close even having a cruise booked for April 2021. There may be a safe & effective vaccine available to every one by April 2021 but who knows?

I agree with others on this thread, you're cutting it way too close with the time you've scheduled your return flight. As @All-ready2cruise recommended, at a minimum schedule your return flight for the afternoon. Heck, I'd even stay over a night at a hotel in San Juan and fly out the next day.

• Like 1

Genius.

OP has already booked the air.

She is asking the question to get "comfort" with what she did.

If she really lacked the knowledge , I think she would have asked first before booking the air.

My decision is still the same...Covid.  

Floridians should really wear face masks.

You would have to be at the airport absolutely no later than 8:30, and that would be squeezing it.  With moderate traffic, it is about a 25 -30 minute cab ride.  You would have to be in a cab by 8 am.  I sure wouldn't try it.  Ignore rude responses.  Folks get to be rude when they are anonymous.  One of the delights of social media.  

• Like 1

Thank you all you all for the mostly helpful replies. I haven’t cruise out of San Juan in many years so I do appreciate the suggestions.  It’s probably best spend the night in PR then travel home on Monday.  I will only cruise if COVID testing is mandatory for boarding.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, msjazzymiss said:

Am I cutting it too close to make my return flight home?

Yes, big time.... and you need to factor in COVID-19 impact on debarkation! 😉

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, msjazzymiss said:

Thank you all you all for the mostly helpful replies. I haven’t cruise out of San Juan in many years so I do appreciate the suggestions.  It’s probably best spend the night in PR then travel home on Monday.  I will only cruise if COVID testing is mandatory for boarding.  

The challenge is that it is a big ship for in a small port with traffic congestion. Plan to be first off (queue very early for self walk off, if they let you). 

A few questions:

What time is the ship due back in port?

Are you in a suite?

Do you have TSA PreCheck?

We made it off the Dawn (much smaller ship) and were at the airport by 7:00 twice. Both times the ship was docked before 6. There was never an announcement that the ship was cleared (that would be evil when it happens at 6:00 in the morning). Both times we wandered down to the area where suite people were supposed to gather and walked right off the ship with our luggage, walked straight through customs (no one there) and got a taxi (tons waiting) to the airport.

Once at the airport, there were no lines at the agriculture check, Southwest counter, or TSA (too early for lines). Can it be done? Yes..but circumstances were different. If you do decide to keep your flight, have a backup plan for what happens if you miss it.

If it was before-times,  I would book any flight after 9:00. In fact, we had to cancel our cruise on the Epic in February of 2020, but our flight home was at 9:15 and I wasn't really concerned about making it at all.

Last time I traveled to SJU (3 months ago), they were operating both the USDA checkpoint and TSA checkpoint at reduced capacity. USDA actually had only one machine open. The lines and wait times for both were considerably longer than usual even though a fraction of flights were operating in and out of SJU in July. 

19 hours ago, msjazzymiss said:

REBOOK flight now.  

22 hours ago, msjazzymiss said:

No way. I would not book anything before noon at the earliest. The extra check in Agricultural part adds time to your check in process.