CDC requested to reinstate NSO

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I agree that it would not have helped those traveling together. My point is I want to know how many positives there need to be, do they need to be unrelated cases, etc. before a lockdown occurs. It will take a lot more information than just a ship sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale to get me aboard.

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

The answer is one.

Is this your opinion, or you've seen this somewhere?  is this just for Sea Dream, because I've not seen a definition of the "trigger level" that the CDC said is necessary for a full ship quarantine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mek said:

I'm not sure about group 5.  If the price was right I think there are a lot of younger people who would, but would that be beneficial to the cruise line? 

No, because those are the folks most likely to contract and spread the virus -- big  problem for cruise lines.

23 minutes ago, latserrof said:

Without knowing how or when the virus was transmitted to those infected, you cannot possibly tell whether masking would have made a difference. But it probably would not have hurt.

When I think of people traveling together I think of my family. We live in the same house, drive in the same car, fly on the same plane, eat together on the ship, some of us sleep in the same cabin. I think I can make an educated guess on how much help a mask would provide. But I do agree, it would not hurt.

As you may recall my comment was about the folks travelling together not about speading anything around the ship.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

CEO Fain himself mentioned it that cruising is safer than being on Main St. 

If you believe the one report from Tui MS6 being false positive (initial Greek lab messed up the testing and said there ~6 positive results), there have been zero cases in their sailings since they restarted in late July. I submit that zero cases while cruising (regardless of how low that number of customers it represents) compared to land based numbers just about anywhere (except maybe some magical zip code with zero cases) is safer/better.

Yup, cruise ships are safer than most hotels.  

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Is this your opinion, or you've seen this somewhere?  is this just for Sea Dream, because I've not seen a definition of the "trigger level" that the CDC said is necessary for a full ship quarantine.

Page 33 in the CDC CSC item a. Says based on a threshold as determined by CDC.  My opinion is that threshold is any out break or one passenger or crew.

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I already got railed at by someone for bringing this case up.  It was to show why one of the politicians involved in urging the CDC to impose the NSO, had an axe to grind against the cruise industry.

But you are right, the canopy was where the blood stains were found.  It was also reported that while they were in Greece, the couple smuggled the liquor Absinthe onboard.  Absinthe is a very powerful spirit which they were drinking along with having drinks at the bars with people they had just met. 

You weren't railed.  I pointed out the difference between the 2.  Safety issues for a virus isnt the same thing as this case.  

A few years ago either Dateline or 20/20 did an interesting episode on this case.  Not to go off subject but its pretty crazy. I did take a picture of the door when i was on the brilliance last year.

Screenshot_20201114-111531_Amazon Photos.jpg

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

You weren't railed.  I pointed out the difference between the 2.  Safety issues for a virus isnt the same thing as this case.  I personally dont rely nor trust senators or anyone in the government with special interest groups to pander to opinions or expertise on medical matters. Especially when we all see the double standards.  

A few years ago either Dateline or 20/20 did an interesting episode on this case.  Not to go off subject but its pretty crazy. 

Again, the reason I brought it up in the first place, if you read my initial post correctly, was to point out the history of why this particular senator had an agenda concerning the CDC NSO.  You incorrectly interpreted it and stated I wanted to equate the two incidents, which was not at all my intention.  I'm very well aware that there are big differences between the two.  Thank you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

You weren't railed.  I pointed out the difference between the 2.  Safety issues for a virus isnt the same thing as this case.  

A few years ago either Dateline or 20/20 did an interesting episode on this case.  Not to go off subject but its pretty crazy. I did take a picture of the door when i was on the brilliance last year.

Screenshot_20201114-111531_Amazon Photos.jpg

Not to go off the subject, but what was their conclusion after so many years.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

The liberals here in dallas want to lock down further and have dire predictions. They wrote to the governor to lock down now., currently if we have 15% I think of beds? for 7 days straight we add lock down measures. We are at 12% of whatever it is they are measuring. 

They arent even close to cruising imo. All I hear is lock it down NOW. 

Only El Paso is in lock down I think in texas. I dont know if it's possible to hit herd immunity if people are back and forth across the border every day. Glad it's a 12 hour drive from here to El Paso. I heard New Mexico added lock down measures next door to texas.

Interesting to read your post. Was just talking to a colleague who is an ICU Intensivist (I knew him as a resident) and he is in Arlington, Texas (which I think is by Dallas) and he said that what he is experiencing in the ICUs (with COVID patients) made his time in Vietnam look like a joke.  

The death, desperation, lack of physicians and nurses is terrifying to him. He said in a few more weeks, they will need morgue trailers. 

2 hours ago, atgood said:

1.4 million died worldwide with TB in 2019, and people aren’t freaking out about it either. 
https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/tuberculosis

Notice how the media doesn’t include much context with the recent spike in CV cases, just the # of cases.  The people we know who’ve had it recovered in a week (or less), and stayed home for another week as a precaution.

I think some would like the CV to drag out for at least another year.  

Good point.  It's helpful to put this virus into proper context.  Thankfully, with a successful vaccine to be distributed soon, we can start to flatten the fear 🙂 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Not to go off the subject, but what was their conclusion after so many years.

A settlement was paid to the Smith family.  FBI dropped the case.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/royal-caribbean-awards-family-missing-passenger-13-million

53 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Page 33 in the CDC CSC item a. Says based on a threshold as determined by CDC.  My opinion is that threshold is any out break or one passenger or crew.

If the number was one, why would they require a number of cabins for isolation of infected people and a number of cabins for quarantine to be set aside?  If they wanted to say it would be one case, they could easily have said that, and left off a whole lot of verbiage.  Just like they do for the VSP, they are setting out a incremental response.

13 hours ago, yogimax said:

Well said!

This is not a joke.  Hundreds are dying every day.  We love cruising and look forward to being on an RCCL ship again.  Sadly, we need to affirm that the situation is worsening, not getting better or "turning a corner."  This is the time for a reality check.  We need to stop the spread of the virus now.  The sooner we act, the sooner we will be back on Oasis of the Seas!

Well based on this article along with sources documented, there's been no increase of deaths as the medial would like you to believe.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-death-count-stable/partly-false-claim-overall-u-s-death-count-remains-stable-versus-previous-years-hinting-covid-19-not-as-deadly-as-feared-idUSKBN22Q2MT

Edited by mworkman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nelblu said:

Not to joke about people dying, but hundreds were dying prior to Covid.  Does anyone know what the average mortality rate in the US prior and during Covid. 

there are studies comparing the pre covid mortality rate to post covid. Up through september of this year the mortality was higher with documented covid cases accounting for about 2/3 of the difference.

8 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Well based on this article along with sources documented, there's been no increase of deaths as the medial would like you to believe.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-death-count-stable/partly-false-claim-overall-u-s-death-count-remains-stable-versus-previous-years-hinting-covid-19-not-as-deadly-as-feared-idUSKBN22Q2MT

Check the date on the article, it's May 14, 2020. I'm sure things have changed since then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nocl said:

there are studies comparing the pre covid mortality rate to post covid. Up through september of this year the mortality was higher with documented covid cases accounting for about 2/3 of the difference.

Can you post link to one of the studies.  

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Can you post link to one of the studies.  

I could except I am in the process of moving and not on my computer where I have the links. If I don't post something today I will tomorrow when I get access to my computer.