New vaccine

hollyjess

19 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

You have hit the nail on the head. Orders are one thing and we certainly have those. Physical supplies in the hands of the NHS are another thing altogether, and we only have a minuscule proportion of what we need with nobody - politicians or vaccine companies alike - prepared to tell us precisely how many will be delivered and when. Wishful thinking and optimism won’t get us vaccinated!

There are some figures for the vaccine allocation to Scotland. The Chief Medical Officer has stated what is available to us for January*. We get a 8.2% share based on population.

Population of Scotland over 65 is 1044145 (last population update). 

Vaccine allocation for the whole of January 440660*

Then of course there are the NHS and care workers and those at high clinical risk in the first batch too.

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Talking of which, where is Vampiress ?  (Sorry if the spelling is wrong).  Hopefully she and her family are all ok.

The last time she posted was November? She didn't sound in a good place and I replied saying that if she needed to talk we were all here for her. Worryingly, she hasn't posted since. Harry's another one that's causing me some concern too.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
spelling
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I haven’t read that article Dave, but does it specify precisely what the ‘agreed orders’ are and by when? I keep hearing that same comment, from vaccinate manufacturers and politicians, but no figures with it. The only firm figure I have heard is that 530k of the Oxford vaccine is being delivered for this week. Matt Hancock said that the next batch wouldn’t be until early Feb, but I believe that was later corrected. On the few rare occasions I have seen where the media has tried to press politicians or vaccine companies on precise numbers of vaccines and dates, they have steadfastly refused to answer. I can’t help but wonder why?

The nearest I've seen to an explanation (possibly in Saturday's Telegraph) is that such is the competition between nations for the vaccine that no one wishes to show their cards. I have no idea if this is accurate, or if it's yet another press release by the ministry of guesswork.

24 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My friend works in a group of GPs practices and they are starting vaccinations from 7th January. She has been working very long hours from 27th December to help get this all set up.

I think the best we can hope for is for vaccinations to increase on a week on week basis.

I can’t really believe that anybody genuinely thinks we’ll do 2 million this week. 

on a different note, shouldn’t there at least be a Cobra meeting today, what with the infections graph showing a vertical line for increases. Or is there going to be another few days of dithering 

I do hope they dither long enough for me to get a haircut before they change our tier, or start a nationwide lockdown.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, batholiver said:

I think you need to look more at the facts, and less at politicians' promises - most of which have come to nothing, like the number of tests promised, the world beating track and trace system, the 'all over by Christmas' message and the 'millions' of vaccinations by 31/12/20!

It may well be that 2m doses a week can be delivered by the drug companies, but (rather like the testing kits which were counted as tests completed when they were put in the post, to try to achieve an overambitious target - remember that?) delivery of a dose is not a vaccination.

The NHS has made it perfectly clear that they simply cannot deliver 2m vaccinations a week. It's been run down for the last ten years, it's lost tens of thousands of doctors and nurses as a result, it's in the midst of a major pandemic, so that's no great surprise.

Maybe Gavin Williamson will ask the teachers to do it in their spare time?

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Is anything ok, or shall we jump off now 😁

I think you'd better ask a few ministers that - they're the ones that keep coming up with all the promises, and then having to try to explain away why they haven't been kept.  

Targets are set to be achieved - that's the way both the public and private sector work. Setting plainly unachievable targets does nothing but raise expectations too high - and demoralise the workforce that's expected to achieve them.

We have some friends here in their eighties. They expected to be vaccinated before Christmas, but in this area (population around 200,000) the CCG has taken responsibility for the programme from GPs and is setting up a vaccination centre. They've been saying that since mid-December but so far there's no sign of it. The map produced yesterday in the Sunday Times shows that's the case across most of the country - huge gaps. So who are our friends blaming? The GP's of course. They believed the government 'millions' by the end of 2020 and they're blaming the GP's for not having done it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, batholiver said:

I think you'd better ask a few ministers that - they're the ones that keep coming up with all the promises, and then having to try to explain away why they haven't been kept.  

Targets are set to be achieved - that's the way both the public and private sector work. Setting plainly unachievable targets does nothing but raise expectations too high - and demoralise the workforce that's expected to achieve them.

We have some friends here in their eighties. They expected to be vaccinated before Christmas, but in this area (population around 200,000) the CCG has taken responsibility for the programme from GPs and is setting up a vaccination centre. They've been saying that since mid-December but so far there's no sign of it. The map produced yesterday in the Sunday Times shows that's the case across most of the country - huge gaps. So who are our friends blaming? The GP's of course. They believed the government 'millions' by the end of 2020 and they're blaming the GP's for not having done it.

Happy new year. Surely someone you know is happy.🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I haven’t read that article Dave, but does it specify precisely what the ‘agreed orders’ are and by when? I keep hearing that same comment, from vaccinate manufacturers and politicians, but no figures with it. The only firm figure I have heard is that 530k of the Oxford vaccine is being delivered for this week. Matt Hancock said that the next batch wouldn’t be until early Feb, but I believe that was later corrected. On the few rare occasions I have seen where the media has tried to press politicians or vaccine companies on precise numbers of vaccines and dates, they have steadfastly refused to answer. I can’t help but wonder why?

No precise agreed orders figures but I should have included the actual quote, apologies

"The NHS said the supply of vaccines remained the "main barrier" to delivering tens of millions of doses despite manufacturers insisting jabs were being delivered to the timetables agreed with the Government"

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I do hope they dither long enough for me to get a haircut before they change our tier, or start a nationwide lockdown.

They can't do a total lockdown with 2m+ per week poping out for their jab🤣

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

It is on the Telegraph front page this morning. Other news includes reports they are considering reintroducing shielding, maybe including those aged 70 or over.. Meanwhile the vaccine manufacturers say they are delivering the vaccine according to the agreed orders. Maybe the problem is the agreed orders are not enough to deal with the new variant threat and the manufacturers are have already promised their additional capacity to everyone else.

My father, 82, had his shielding letter on Saturday so it’s happening here in Wales.

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Happy new year. Surely someone you know us happy.🤣

And to you. Everybody I know is very happy about most things - we're very fortunate in where we live and what we do. The thing they're not happy about though is the way Coronavirus has been handled at the centre, right from the start.

I don't think they're alone if you take a look at headlines like this (from the Mail too)

"Alarm bells for Boris as huge poll finds Labour would reclaim Red Wall in an election – and the PM would lose his OWN seat"

2 minutes ago, batholiver said:

And to you. Everybody I know is very happy about most things - we're very fortunate in where we live and what we do. The thing they're not happy about though is the way Coronavirus has been handled at the centre, right from the start.

I don't think they're alone if you take a look at headlines like this (from the Mail too)

"Alarm bells for Boris as huge poll finds Labour would reclaim Red Wall in an election – and the PM would lose his OWN seat"

So what.........that all sounds very important.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Hopefully she is well.

Usually you will get an email and/ or notification when your name is mentioned.

@vampiress we are all thinking of you,hope you are well.

Graham.

Still no word from Harry which is worrying.

Avril

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, batholiver said:

If the UK are such rubbish, why have we already Jabbed 2.5 times more folk than the whole of the 27 EU states. 2.5 times that's a real success, don't you think. I won't bother thinking about elections till the time as every thing will change and they are all as bad as each other. This lot is what we have for now.

• Like 1

On the "This Morning" show just now,a GP said the policy now is 1 jab for everyone and worry about the 2nd later.According to new research 1 jab gives 100% assurance of no hospitalisation and obviously death.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

On the "This Morning" show just now,a GP said the policy now is 1 jab for everyone and worry about the 2nd later.According to new research 1 jab gives 100% assurance of no hospitalisation and obviously death.

Brian. I hope you meant to say "  no death "🤔

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

My father, 82, had his shielding letter on Saturday so it’s happening here in Wales.

Within an hour of Derbyshire going into tier 4 , I received a text from GOVUK stating that Clinically Extremely Vunerable people should shield in areas of Tier 4 in England and that a letter will follow so I think its started here but just not been publicised

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Within an hour of Derbyshire going into tier 4 , I received a text from GOVUK stating that Clinically Extremely Vunerable people should shield in areas of Tier 4 in England and that a letter will follow so I think its started here but just not been publicised

That's the rules for tier 4. It's so secret, it's on the gov website.

Boris has been interviewed this morning and two things of note. Firstly, he says that the delays in getting the vaccines distributed is primarily due to the fact that quality checks have to be done on each batch before they are released? Secondly, he was specifically asked when will we get to 2m people per week being vaccinated. He said that he couldn’t commit to a date yet. Pressed as to whether it could be as late as Feb or even March he said “I can’t rule that out”. No idea who or what to believe, but at least one journalist has had the sense to ask the single most important question which will determine how long it’s all going to take. 

• Like 4