New vaccine

hollyjess

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Just one more point, which doesn’t need an answer - Do we still have a Parliament?  It feels a little absent

The Scottish cabinet is meeting this morning and the Holyrood parliament has been recalled early from recess.

I suspect we will be back to something similar to March very soon up here. Everything is already closed, shops, hospitality, schools. The only other thing they can do is the stay at home order again with out only for food and exercise.

I presume Westminster might come back early too?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Boris has been interviewed this morning and two things of note. Firstly, he says that the delays in getting the vaccines distributed is primarily due to the fact that quality checks have to be done on each batch before they are released? Secondly, he was specifically asked when will we get to 2m people per week being vaccinated. He said that he couldn’t commit to a date yet. Pressed as to whether it could be as late as Feb or even March he said “I can’t rule that out”. No idea who or what to believe, but at least one journalist has had the sense to ask the single most important question which will determine how long it’s all going to take. 

I am under the impression that the person who had the first vaccine pfizer dose have a signed contract to get the second at an approved date would that be correct?

My mate works for NHS won't say where on a public forum. He has had his just before christmas and he is saying they are trying to move his second dose "and making decisions without proof of consent" in his words and that he has  "signed a contract that says 21 days not 12 weeks". So surely they have to honour that? Or be in breach?

3 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I am under the impression that the person who had the first vaccine pfizer dose have a signed contract to get the second at an approved date would that be correct?

My mate works for NHS won't say where on a public forum. He has had his just before christmas and he is saying they are trying to move his second dose "and making decisions without proof of consent" in his words and that he has  "signed a contract that says 21 days not 12 weeks". So surely they have to honour that? Or be in breach?

Trouble is, they can protect twice as many people in the same length of time by delaying the second jab, which seems a reasonable compromise. Mind you, the few scientists I read don't agree with each other - Dr Simon Clarke deems it a bad idea, JVT and Dr John Campbell both approve.

3 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Trouble is, they can protect twice as many people in the same length of time by delaying the second jab

Except it might not work against the South African strain apparently at least according to the scum (sun). So this is never going to end and cruising will never resume. They can't go another year without money. And the pfizer hasn't been tested like that and the oxford vaccine is crap but is the only game in town.

Edited by ace2542

5 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Except it might not work against the South African strain apparently at least according to the scum (sun). So this is never going to end and cruising will never resume. They can't go another year without money. And the pfizer hasn't been tested like that and the oxford vaccine is crap but is the only game in town.

Why do you think that about the Oxford vaccine? Seems a very sweeping and negative comment to make so what is it based on please.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Why do you think that about the Oxford vaccine? Seems a very sweeping and negative comment to make so what is it based on please.

Perhaps because of the problem with the dosage as came out a few weeks back and that if offers protection of 62% to 90% with average of something like 70%. 20% is a big difference and how can a half dose work less than a full dose and that has not been explained in simple english?. The pfizer and moderna seem to offer very high levels of protection in the mid 90s%. Sadly the oxford does not offer that higher level of protection it seems at least it did not at first but now maybe the data has changed? But it is the only game in town so they will approved of course. Unless we seriously expect moderna and pfizer to produce another 100 million doses within a reasoned timeframe for the UK?

Edited by ace2542

12 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Well, in that case it makes no odds if your 'mate' doesn't have his second jab, does it? Then he can free up his second vaccine for someone in need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

On the "This Morning" show just now,a GP said the policy now is 1 jab for everyone and worry about the 2nd later.According to new research 1 jab gives 100% assurance of no hospitalisation and obviously death.

I would be interested to see evidence of any research that says 1 jab gives 100% assurance of no hospitalisation and obvious death when the best proposal is that 1 jab gives 90% of the population protection. It is far too early to be making outrageous statements.

1 minute ago, AnnieC said:

Well, in that case it makes no odds if your 'mate' doesn't have his second jab, does it? Then he can free up his second vaccine for someone in need.

But if he doesn't get and others don't get that second jab on time. Does that effect his/their immune levels or protection or does lack of second jab nullify the first one?.

My father is due for his second one on Wednesday at 3.30pm they have not contacted him yet to say he won't be getting it. But if he turns up at this vaccination place and they tell him it is there will be hell to pay especially after he has done a 15 pound taxi. I am going to contact them to see what is going on.

8 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

and how can a half dose work less than a full dose and that has not been explained in simple english?. The pfizer and moderna seem to offer very high levels of protection in the mid 90s%. Sadly the oxford does not offer that higher level of protection it seems at least it did not at first but now maybe the data has changed? But it is the only game in town so they will approved of course. Unless we seriously expect moderna and pfizer to produce another 100 million doses within a reasoned timeframe for the UK?

The mRNA vaccines of Pfizer and Moderna work in a very different way to the Oxford vaccine, and to understand this you would need to do a lot of research or be a scientist/medical expert of sorts. The same thing applies to the fact that a weaker dose can be more effective than than a full dose, I could explain why but trying to do that in simple English would be nigh on impossible.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I would be interested to see evidence of any research that says 1 jab gives 100% assurance of no hospitalisation and obvious death when the best proposal is that 1 jab gives 90% of the population protection. It is far too early to be making outrageous statements.

Folk on here have been making outrageous statements for weeks. Outrageous, negative, fictitious data.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

The mRNA vaccines of Pfizer and Moderna work in a very different way to the Oxford vaccine, and to understand this you would need to do a lot of research or be a scientist/medical expert of sorts. The same thing applies to the fact that a weaker dose can be more effective than than a full dose, I could explain why but trying to do that in simple English would be nigh on impossible.

As an expert in the pharma industry and one of the few on here who actually knows their stuff, don't you have a little chuckle at some if the pet theories expressed in here. We only started jabbing the AZ vacccine today and some have already given up🤣

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

But if he doesn't get and others don't get that second jab on time. Does that effect his/their immune levels or protection or does lack of second jab nullify the first one?.

My father is due for his second one on Wednesday at 3.30pm they have not contacted him yet to say he won't be getting it. But if he turns up at this vaccination place and they tell him it is there will be hell to pay especially after he has done a 15 pound taxi. I am going to contact them to see what is going on.

You realise that those NHS staff that you'll be creating hell for, are just following orders and have no control over whether your father gets his second dose? 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Still no word from Harry which is worrying.

Avril

I agree, I certainly hope he is all right.

He said last time he had a lot going on and that was why he hadn't been posting.

Pauline doesn't post but we both regularly WhatsApp a CC member from Texas so if anything happened to me she would post information.

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

As an expert in the pharma industry and one of the few on here who actually knows their stuff, don't you have a little chuckle at some if the pet theories expressed in here. We only started jabbing the AZ vacccine today and some have already given up🤣

A cc friend from Israel said that after 1 week only 1% who had the first vaccine were showing antibodies

45 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Trouble is, they can protect twice as many people in the same length of time by delaying the second jab, which seems a reasonable compromise. Mind you, the few scientists I read don't agree with each other - Dr Simon Clarke deems it a bad idea, JVT and Dr John Campbell both approve.

Its only kicking the ball down the road.  In 12 weeks time instead of 4 weeks they will have to concentrate on 2nd jabs thereby meaning that 1st jabs will have to stop again.  I am due my 2nd one on Thursday.  So far no word on it being moved.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

You realise that those NHS staff that you'll be creating hell for, are just following orders and have no control over whether your father gets his second dose? 

Of course but they can ring us and tell us before he goes on a 30 quid cab ride 15 there 15 back (he doesn't want to drive after taking the jab so can't drive there). And if they don't and he turns up then surely he should get his 30 quid back?

Just now, ace2542 said:

Of course but they can ring us and tell us before he goes on a 30 quid cab ride 15 there 15 back (he doesn't want to drive after taking the jab so can't drive there). And if they don't and he turns up then surely he should get his 30 quid back?

You only need to wait 15 minutes after the jab before driving.

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

A cc friend from Israel said that after 1 week only 1% who had the first vaccine were showing antibodies

The person you thought died. He didn't. The strongman it wasn't him btw at least I don't think it was. So don't believe everything people say.

Edited by ace2542

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Pressed as to whether it could be as late as Feb or even March he said “I can’t rule that out”. No idea who or what to believe, but at least one journalist has had the sense to ask the single most important question which will determine how long it’s all going to take. 

He asked the question Selboune, but the answer is the just the same. No-one has a clue.

Avril

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

If that is the case then everybody who had been vaccinated would have had to have an antibody test after 1 week which is highly unlikely based on the fact that Israel are currently leading the world on percentage of population vaccinated and the antibody tests are not accurate to 1%. In view of the current trials it was also not proposed that the vaccine would offer a great deal of protection until 14-21 days, so looking for antibodies after 1 week is probably not going to yield a lot of valuable data. It could be that they did actually test a few people and only 1% of those showed any level of immunity. Under normal circumstance the clinical trials would have been followed up by years of analysis and data collection which would have delayed the vaccine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Please reassure him that after a 15 minute wait to observe any adverse reaction, participants in the phase 3 trials drove home safely. There was no suggestion that we shouldn’t have done.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

You realise that the staff are stretched to the absolute limit? My friend has been working for 14hrs a day to help with the set up of the vaccination programme for the surgery group that she works for.

Your dad is obviously the most important thing in the world to you, but you working your self up to have a rant at the hard pressed staff is not going to help anyone. 

• Like 16