Royal Reveals Test Cruises-Pinnacles

9 minutes ago, orville99 said:

If it helps get cruises sailing again, I'd take on whatever role they asked me to do, including driving down to the port knowing that my role was to drive back home the same day.

I seriously doubt that  would happen.  

It’s only a test cruise, there is absolutely no reason that  they couldn’t present with fake symptoms to test the check in process and then be allowed to board and help test out the procedures on the ship.  

if Royal wanted to carry it through the whole way I’m sure they would use their own employees for that part of the test instead of having a volunteer drive down only to drive back. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It’s only a test cruise, there is absolutely no reason that  they couldn’t present with fake symptoms to test the check in process and then be allowed to board and help test out the procedures on the ship.  

if Royal wanted to carry it through the whole way I’m sure they would use their own employees for that part of the test instead of having a volunteer drive down only to drive back. 

True. One of the most intriguing parts of disaster scenario development is that one gets to posit any conceivable scenario without a predetermined requirement to connect it to any other conceivable scenario. i.e. scenario 1) Test the check in process; 2) test the luggage drop-off process; 3) test the luggage handling process, etc. All independent scenarios that may or may not be combined into a composite scenario, or may be combined with other seemingly unrelated activities or procedures to stress test from different angles.

My main point was that they will test everything testable, do every test in multiple combinations, do combinations that from the outside may not make any sense, etc. These are "cruises" only to the extent that they need to leave the dock and potentially "visit" a port of call in order to test every scenario that the CDC throws in their way. To paraphrase an old song, - it ain't no pleasure cruise.

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I guess it depends how far they have to drive.

Not many shore staff in Brevard County.

Plenty of crazy C&A members

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I guess it depends how far they have to drive.

Not many shore staff in Brevard County.

Plenty of crazy C&A members

Has anyone been contacted about going yet? Or still just talk.

I'd drive to any port if they would let me on without a doctors note.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Has anyone been contacted about going yet? Or still just talk.

I'd drive to any port if they would let me on without a doctors note.

I dont think its possible these days. If you surf the internet and read and read about new policies of the cruise companies , I think every company will  have notice about a doctor note. I mean it sounds sad, but this is how it is these days. Dont waste gas looking for a cruise without a DN. Just get one 

20 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I dont think its possible these days. If you surf the internet and read and read about new policies of the cruise companies , I think every company will  have notice about a doctor note. I mean it sounds sad, but this is how it is these days. Dont waste gas looking for a cruise without a DN. Just get one 

The CLIA lifted the Dr.'s note requirement in April, and have not reinstated it. It is also not currently a requirement in either the CDC No Sail or Conditional Sail orders. The current requirement is proof of a negative test within five days of sailing date.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The CLIA lifted the Dr.'s note requirement in April, and have not reinstated it. It is also not currently a requirement in either the CDC No Sail or Conditional Sail orders. The current requirement is proof of a negative test within five days of sailing date.

Yea it's just a requirement for the mock cruises. Probably not a chance I could get one, though I feel fine, that's why I didnt apply for a mock cruise.

I wanna meet John's doctor who will sign anything. Mine are always lecturing me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yea it's just a requirement for the mock cruises. Probably not a chance I could get one, though I feel fine, that's why I didnt apply for a mock cruise.

I wanna meet John's doctor who will sign anything. Mine are always lecturing me. 

Mine's a DIL, so no problems there😷

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2020 at 8:55 PM, John&LaLa said:

We, I mean I, signed up first day. 

I'm game. My doctor would sign anything.😉

FWIW, we both get tested once a week. Did one this morning

Why do you get tested so often?

One of my Dr friends has told me some people are addicted to getting tested... 😆

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Why do you get tested so often?

One of my Dr friends has told me some people are addicted to getting tested... 😆

My 87 yo Mom was addicted to the testing. Last count it was 4 or 5 times and 1 antibodies test. She thought it would give her freedom and able to go out and about. I think she used it to just socialize with others. 

Many LTC facilities require testing prior to visiting. I’ll let John @John&LaLa  address his situation if he cares too. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

My 87 yo Mom was addicted to the testing. Last count it was 4 or 5 times and 1 antibodies test. She thought it would give her freedom and able to go out and about. I think she used it to just socialize with others. 

Many LTC facilities require testing prior to visiting. I’ll let John @John&LaLa  address his situation if he cares too. 

John  @John&LaLa  already did in post number 11. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2020 at 4:31 PM, twangster said:

I stay in balconies more now thanks to the CAS balcony discount (unless it's an exotic bucket list destination where balconies carry a heavy premium).

Up to pin: Int 25.6%, OV 16.3%, Balc 27.9%, Suite 30.2%

Since pin: Int 16.7%, OV 0%, Balc 50%, Suite 33.3%

I did find a bargain on an interior to Alaska on Serenade.  Anytime I can go to Alaska for under $800 all in I grab it.  Have been enough times that a balcony isn't required in Alaska and if I can completely cover expensive excursions with cabin savings I have no problem in an interior to Alaska.

This does happen occasionally but for the most part I often see balcony cabins less than OV now and a small enough uplift over interior it's a no brainer to go for the balcony.  Royal gets more money, I get a balcony.  Win-Win.

On 12/5/2020 at 2:21 PM, John&LaLa said:

That generalized statement is laughable.

What's your point?

Honestly, way less than half of the pins I know sail in less than balcony cabins. It doesn't make sense with the generous balcony discount

Ok so what is this whole big deal about what class of cabin a Pinnacle member stays in. I see the bickering in various threads, but still do not understand?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

Ok so what is this whole big deal about what class of cabin a Pinnacle member stays in. I see the bickering in various threads, but still do not understand?

A recurring theme advanced by some is that Pinnacle do not contribute in a meaningful way as they only stay in cheap interior cabins while consuming premier services like suite lounges and coastal kitchen.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

A recurring theme advanced by some is that Pinnacle do not contribute in a meaningful way as they only stay in cheap interior cabins while consuming premier services like suite lounges and coastal kitchen.  

Ok thanks, this reaffirms that I do not need to pay attention to any of that. I thought it sounded similar to the heated discussions I have seen on threads from Suite passengers vs. Pinnacle. I thought there was something else I was missing. My bad. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twangster said:

The infamous NSPP. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, twangster said:

Not all that’s for sure. Most of the time it’s not an issue but when it is, it’s a problem. 

Great explanation of the theory. 

M8

• Like 1

What a blessing that Covid does not allow any RCI cruises at present.
Suite guests don't have to endure conceited frequent cruiser Pinnacle guests and Pinnacle guests don't have to endure narrow-minded, jealous at times cruising upstart Suite guests.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2