Nieces Statendam laps per mile ?

Gunther1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Should be the same as Koningsdam

Promenade Deck three laps per mile

Jogging track on deck 11, 12 laps per mile

Agreed.  I checked my stats on my Nieuw Statendam transatlantic and it was 15 laps for 5 miles.,

Roy

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gunther1 said:

I walk miles per day when on a cruise...the equivalent of a marathon per seven days.  Does anybody know where I can find out the laps per mile on the NS ?  Thanks....

Walking that much on a cruise is admirable.  Don't you get dizzy?  

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2020 at 9:28 PM, KirkNC said:

Just hope you don’t meet someone walk the opposite direction during all the narrow stretches.

Flow should be moving forward on the starboard side and moving aft on the port side. In effect, counter-clockwise.  

Just now, Heartgrove said:

Flow should be moving forward on the starboard side and moving aft on the port side. In effect, counter-clockwise.  

Agreed but unfortunately not all see it that way.  When we tried to walk the deck on the K’dam we were constantly meeting the few who walked the  opposite direction in the long narrow and winding passages on both sides.  We finally gave up.

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Agreed but unfortunately not all see it that way.  When we tried to walk the deck on the K’dam we were constantly meeting the few who walked the  opposite direction in the long narrow and winding passages on both sides.  We finally gave up.

I've actually heard some say (here on CC) that they do it on purpose so they can see others and greet them.  Geesh....

• Like 1

Yeah, "wrong-way" walkers have always been my pet peeve.  And don't know why they have removed most of the signage that used to be posted .... except for  the "One Way <arrow>" signs on Amsterdam. I'm one who was always on the dearly departed S-class and R-class ships, whose wide proms caused fewer problems.  But I'm a very brisk walker and am always fearful when approaching the blind corners.  Haven't yet been on a Pinnacle-class ship but would really dread prom walks on those.

Edited by Av8rix
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 9:28 AM, Cruising-along said:

I've actually heard some say (here on CC) that they do it on purpose so they can see others and greet them.  Geesh....

Ya, I've seen that. I'm an avid deck walker and after the first time or two it becomes kinda awkward. I always wonder why those people don't just turn around and go the same direction that everyone else is going.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2020 at 7:51 AM, KirkNC said:

That can be frustrating!

In 2018 I actually contacted HAL about the "wrong-way" problem, asking why the directional signage had been removed from most ships.

I had just disembarked Amsterdam and had seen the "One-Way" signage was still up on that ship.  Was getting ready to board Eurodam.  I included this paragraph to give some context for the reply that I received.

So following is the unedited reply that I received:

Dear Mrs. Kennedy:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your ms Amsterdam sailing as well as your upcoming ms Eurodam sailing this weekend. We apologize for the delay in our response time and we appreciate your patience.

We have gone to the shipboard staff and have been advised, as you probably saw this past weekend, that the ms Amsterdam is still the same with a one-way sign around the Lower Promenade Deck.

However, having said that, it is not the same on the ms Eurodam or on some of our other ships. While the Promenade deck can be used for walking around and doing laps, we do not have a policy on a correct walking direction though. The staff on some ships are allowed to paint (in big letters) at the aft rounding (against the stern enclosed steel railing): “walking direction” with a big arrow and we have this done on various ships.

Since it is not a Holland America Line policy, if a replacement ship’s staff decide to remove the arrow, they are free to do so. In addition, on the newer Pinnacle ships (ms Koningsdam and the ms Nieuw Statendam), we do encourage guests to use the track on the top deck.

Thank you once more for contacting our office with your concerns and we hope this information is useful on your future sailings.

Sincerely,

Christine Ferris

Special Advisor
Office of the President

Edited by Av8rix

In other words the office of the president does not care.

It would certainly make sense for the safety as well as convenience of all guests if they would take a stand and paint a few arrows with the "suggested" walking direction.  Then again we all know that even on ships with NO JOGGING as well as directional arrows that there are always a few "special people" who are either illiterate, ignorant or just "special" and rules don't apply to them.  I also know that the crew does not want to have the anger directed at them when they try (if they do) to enforce the rules.

Jogging is dangerous on a promenade deck full of often elderly people out for a quiet stroll who may not hear or see well to come around a corner and get bumped or mowed down by a jogger. In addition the joggers don't seem to realize or care that there are often staterooms beneath the promenade deck and the guests in those rooms don't really want to put up with the pounding noise.

As for walking the wrong direction that was not a huge problem on the ships with a wide promenade deck but now that the bean counters, in their quest to squeeze in a few more shops,  have shrunk the promenade decks to such a narrow width that two people can barely walk side by side much less have to dodge wrong way walkers.

• Like 1

We've cruised a couple of lines and have always preferred HAL's Promenade deck for our daily walks.  We always try to get 3-4 miles each morning in.

When we've sailed RCL, the track up top has always served for both walking and jogging.  It's a bit shorter, requiring an extra 'lap' to reach a mile (4) and one must always listen carefully for the joggers coming up from behind OR dodging the deck chairs.

We sail on Nieuw Statendam in March 2022 and while sad the Promenade won't be nice and wide as prior HAL voyages, we'll still try to get our walks in.