April 2021 looking like a good time to book

seaman11

3 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Smh ppl are selfish and in denial. But what im saying is we must give up. Because these ppl will never listen. We cant go on for years waiting for it to happen. Half wont take the vaccine either. 

Don't give up @seaman11 (see my previous post). Yes, you are always going to have those "anti-vaxxers" out there but I truly believe that most people will get vaccinated, especially when they see a positive track record of the current (& upcoming) vaccines.

Oh and yes, there are always going to be people that are selfish and in denial. Still no reason to give up. We will be cruising again second 1/2 of this year (2021) or worse case scenario, in 2022.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 3:45 PM, thwatcher100 said:

No my attitude is realistic, there is zero chance of Europeans being vaccinated before cruises begin in April 2021. Nobody over the age of 66 should be even contemplating going on a cruise until 2022 at the earliest. The infection on rate is low and the symptoms even less in those under 65. 

If you want to live in a bubble , then stay at home.

Amen to that brother but it seams like a total blanket approach is all that is being considered. Reason and rational not part of solutions these days.

It’s always great to hear from you, seaman11!  Happy New Year!  So happy to see 2020 in the rearview mirror & we now can see the light at the end of the tunnel with the approval of the COVID vaccine.  Due to masking & testing requirements that will most likely still be in place this coming May, we’ve pretty much decided to move our Pride of America cruise to October.  (We’ve had to take the PCR test & it was not fun & not something we care to add to our vacation!)  I’m curious what COVID protocols you & other cruisers think will still be in place by then.  I’m assuming that we’ve been vaccinated at that point.  (BTW, I’m thinking it might be a requirement to board…)  I’d really appreciate your thoughts.

• Like 1

I have a booking in May, and it's likely that I can be vaccinated in plenty of time for it. I'm concerned, however, that the countries in my itinerary might not consider vaccination sufficient; they might still require both a negative PCR test within three days (currently it is taking three full days to get results here, meaning that I wouldn't have the result before starting travel and then it would be only by phone) and 14 days of quarantine after arriving in the country. I could cope with quarantine after returning home if the U.S. were to require it, but quarantining for 14 days in Italy before boarding the ship isn't practical.

There is valid concern that a vaccinated person, although not having any symptoms, might still be able to transmit the virus. At this point no one knows, but that isn't keeping news media from stoking fear about it, because (a) fear sells advertising and (b) when you're a journalist who needs to come up with a new story every day, anything is better than nothing.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I have a booking in May, and it's likely that I can be vaccinated in plenty of time for it. I'm concerned, however, that the countries in my itinerary might not consider vaccination sufficient; they might still require both a negative PCR test within three days (currently it is taking three full days to get results here, meaning that I wouldn't have the result before starting travel and then it would be only by phone) and 14 days of quarantine after arriving in the country. I could cope with quarantine after returning home if the U.S. were to require it, but quarantining for 14 days in Italy before boarding the ship isn't practical.

There is valid concern that a vaccinated person, although not having any symptoms, might still be able to transmit the virus. At this point no one knows, but that isn't keeping news media from stoking fear about it, because (a) fear sells advertising and (b) when you're a journalist who needs to come up with a new story every day, anything is better than nothing.

You should save yourself a lot of anxiety you’re bringing down on yourself by canceling your cruise and waiting for word from the media that everything is OK again.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You should save yourself a lot of anxiety you’re bringing down on yourself by canceling your cruise and waiting for word from the media that everything is OK again.

Why on earth would I cancel when there is a chance that it will all work out? It's in May, not next week. I'm not suffering from "a lot of anxiety" and I resent your presumption about it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Why on earth would I cancel when there is a chance that it will all work out? It's in May, not next week. I'm not suffering from "a lot of anxiety" and I resent your presumption about it.

Anxious, or not, it still makes sense to cancel for May....trust me, it's not gonna sail....!

• Like 1

Even if the ship sails in May, I don't want to deal with testing (possibly multiple times) and possible restrictions on shore excursions. By later in the year, we should also know if a vaccinated person can spread the disease.  I'm thinking not, like most other diseases, so maybe we can get rid of masks onboard, too.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:58 AM, seaman11 said:

It doesnt look good. My dads complex was having a bug no mask 100ppl or more new years party. In Texas.  

Smh ppl are selfish and in denial. But what im saying is we must give up. Because these ppl will never listen. We cant go on for years waiting for it to happen. Half wont take the vaccine either. 

Same crap going on all over. Glad you got to go to Mexico. Still waiting for my husband's work to let them travel without the quarantine crap, and we'll be doing a road trip. Much easier to navigate problems and changes, so it will be a good starting point.

17 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

Even if the ship sails in May, I don't want to deal with testing (possibly multiple times) and possible restrictions on shore excursions. By later in the year, we should also know if a vaccinated person can spread the disease.  I'm thinking not, like most other diseases, so maybe we can get rid of masks onboard, too.

We are booked for mid May to Bermuda, no plans to cancel just hoping for the best. Our grandson was very sad about last years cancelled trip but has been counting down for this years 130 days to go, Fingers crossed. No mask would be heaven :).

18 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

We are booked for mid May to Bermuda, no plans to cancel just hoping for the best. Our grandson was very sad about last years cancelled trip but has been counting down for this years 130 days to go, Fingers crossed. No mask would be heaven :).

I hope your cruise sails in May, latebloomer56, and that you and your grandson are not disappointed again.  I know that feeling well.  I keep putting off changing our cruise date to October but I think realistically, at least for us, I'm going to have to make that call this week. ☹️

4 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I am glad that you have such a reliable crystal ball.

None of us may have a reliable crystal ball, put speculation based on what's happening is not unrealistic.   And, the way it is going at this moment, not looking good.  Tennessee just gave their daily report which is 143 dead.  That number is going up and up.   With cases exploding world wide, I can't see how a cruise line could even put together a ship with crew any time soon.   And then they have to accomplish all the presently required protocols.   Nobody wants to cruise more than me.......but my wishful thinking seems to be getting overridden by reality.  Hope I'm totally wrong.  I get the vaccine tomorrow.  But we are way, way off from the majority of the world being vaccinated, not to mention those who will refuse.  A mess!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

See the beautiful USA in 2021.  North plains states like South Dakota and Montana are doing an excellent job with vaccine.  This with heath facilities often 50 to 100 miles apart. California and NYC spending their time locking down restaurants.  Relax and dont expect in cruise in 2021.

4 hours ago, roger001 said:

With cases exploding world wide, I can't see how a cruise line could even put together a ship with crew any time soon. 

Not NCL, but this made me think of this post by Sandebeach over on the RCI board regarding a RCI crew member's postponed assignment. I wonder how many more crew members received this memo. 😪

The "unfortunately we have yet to receive the required clearances" makes me sad after all the efforts the lines must have been implementing:

2537F737-07A5-415E-B091-4F8B70A8DAA9.jpe

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 3:46 AM, hamrag said:

Seaman............nooooooooooo, don't give up......although I'm sure it was a typo!!

What i meant was,  give up on everyone following protocols 100 percent and let's get back to sailing!!! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

I hope your cruise sails in May, latebloomer56, and that you and your grandson are not disappointed again.  I know that feeling well.  I keep putting off changing our cruise date to October but I think realistically, at least for us, I'm going to have to make that call this week. ☹️

I hope your fall plan hold up as well. If they push out the sail dates to summer will look at the fall as well but it breaks my heart when he calls or sends me the count down days, I created a monster :). 

Take care and stay safe.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

I hope your fall plan hold up as well. If they push out the sail dates to summer will look at the fall as well but it breaks my heart when he calls or sends me the count down days, I created a monster :). 

Take care and stay safe.

Ah, your grandson sounds adorable!  We have a couple of lovable monsters that we've created, as well.  Gotta love 'em!  I really hope your cruise sails as planned, latebloomer56, so that he won't be disappointed again.  I finally, reluctantly, called our PCC yesterday & moved our booking to October, so our countdown went from 131 days to 270+. 😪 Ah, well, good things come to those who wait!  We softened the pain a bit by planning a trip to Lake Tahoe this spring.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Maybe i will try may for carabean out of florida.  Alaska not looking good for the summer. 

Maybe if you fly to a Caribbean island and do a land vacation. Imho, May will still be too early for cruises (give the vaccines more time). I'm sticking to my prediction of second 1/2 of this year (2021).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Maybe if you fly to a Caribbean island and do a land vacation. Imho, May will still be too early for cruises (give the vaccines more time). I'm sticking to my prediction of second 1/2 of this year (2021).

seems cruising has been vilified, they dont seem to care if we go by air.  i get thousands are not on the plane but you are indeed confined to a small place with hundreds. 

the way Canada is talking it mat be 2022.  smh.  i wanted to believe common sense would prevail. on slowly opening things cruise wise back up.  Remember last spring florida and texas had a mere 200 cases per day . now i think the cdc would kill for that. 

• Like 1