MSC Meraviglia May 22nd 2021 - Miami?

McHaggis69

OK - so I asked *way* back in 2020 if our cruise in Sept 2020 was likely to go ahead. Seems naive now!

Anyway - it was rescheduled to 22nd May 2021.

Same question - anyone with a view if this sailing out of Miami is likely to go ahead? Open to all opinions and views, but those backed with legitimate research and notes carry more weight 😉

• Like 1

You are opening a can of worms.

If you search for my posts, you may find  those of mine dealing with  the possibility of cruises leaving from any Florida port in the first five months of 2021 (and save me from the bombastic attacks by certain posters who don't like statistics and science).

In any case, any cruise leaving from Florida will need to deal with the situation for Covid 19 in Florida.

The state lacks any leadership at the state level for any public health measures to control the virus. As a result we have unmitigated community spread.  Projections were for 17,000  new cases a day by mid January.

We have already reached that point at least once during the past week. Positivity rate is at over 11%.

Roll out of the vaccines is uncoordinated and extremely frustrating for those of us who would get the vaccine if we could (without camping out in our cars or standing in line for hours).

Until Covid 19 is somewhat under control in the state, I can't see any cruise line attempting to bring passengers on board a ship that is ported in Florida.

At this point, cruises are cancelled from Florida ports through March 2021. 

In my opinion, April and May departures are shaky.

June or July might be better. 

The problem is the later in the summer or fall a cruise is scheduled, the greater the risk of a hurricane impacting the cruise.

5 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Homosassa, couldn't agree more. Especially the rudderless leadership at the top.

When McHaggis69 asked the question about sailing in May 2021, I would suggest she/he wasn't asking for your opinion on Florida's leadership. Perhaps if you are responding to a Post you could respond to the question asked.

8 hours ago, McHaggis69 said:

Same question - anyone with a view if this sailing out of Miami is likely to go ahead?

At this point in time no one knows when cruises will start again out of Miami. We are simply hoping they will. We have both an April and a May cruise booked on the Meraviglia. It's all wait and see. As you are from Scotland, that's a lot harder for planning than those of us from Florida who can simply drive to the Port.

• Like 3

Thanks for comments so far. We in Scotland have just gone into another month long total lockdown from midnight tonight.

The additional problem for us is the cruise is linked to a further holiday in Canada afterwards. Getting the cruise, hotels and all flights changed from Sept2020 to May 2021 was very difficult... we are so keen to get there in May but it is looking to be somewhat unlikely I guess.

Hope the vaccine rollout is swift and effective everywhere.

Unfortunately, with the increase in cases due to the new variant and the additional lockdown restrictions introduced yesterday, I would be very doubtful of the FCO amending the travel advise to remove the do not cruise for UK nationals by May. I've no actual research to support but from the update last night I don't think they're looking at much being better until spring, in terms of restrictions. 

I'm not confident I'll be able to get the Stena line from Belfast to Cairnryan by May so a Miami cruise is a definite no...I hope I'm wrong 😪

• Like 1

We have a North Europe cruise booked for May and I'm extremely doubtful that it, or cruising from any other region, will go ahead - not the way the numbers of cases of Covid are rising all 'round the world.

Also, MSC keeps changing itineraries, ships, embarkation ports and dates of sailings, which is making it very difficult to plan flights, hotels, etc nor can you be sure you'll end up with the type of cabin you originally booked  😡

In my opinion, the cruise lines are going to shift from trying to adhere to the CDC guidelines and move to  vaccinated only passengers.  I believe that they think, (and we hope), that the CDC will not interfere if everyone on board has been vaccinated.  Will enough people have received the vaccine by May to warrant a re-start?  Maybe 50-50 right now?  I'm curious to know what everyone thinks.

On 1/3/2021 at 10:24 AM, Homosassa said:

You are opening a can of worms.

If you search for my posts, you may find  those of mine dealing with  the possibility of cruises leaving from any Florida port in the first five months of 2021 (and save me from the bombastic attacks by certain posters who don't like statistics and science).

In any case, any cruise leaving from Florida will need to deal with the situation for Covid 19 in Florida.

The state lacks any leadership at the state level for any public health measures to control the virus. As a result we have unmitigated community spread.  Projections were for 17,000  new cases a day by mid January.

We have already reached that point at least once during the past week. Positivity rate is at over 11%.

Roll out of the vaccines is uncoordinated and extremely frustrating for those of us who would get the vaccine if we could (without camping out in our cars or standing in line for hours).

Until Covid 19 is somewhat under control in the state, I can't see any cruise line attempting to bring passengers on board a ship that is ported in Florida.

At this point, cruises are cancelled from Florida ports through March 2021. 

In my opinion, April and May departures are shaky.

June or July might be better. 

The problem is the later in the summer or fall a cruise is scheduled, the greater the risk of a hurricane impacting the cruise.

There are 2 kinds of people in the world.  Those who do, and those who criticize those who do.

BTW, I think DeSantis has done a hell of a job.

Edited by KennyFla
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2021 at 6:31 AM, McHaggis69 said:

OK - so I asked *way* back in 2020 if our cruise in Sept 2020 was likely to go ahead. Seems naive now!

Same question - anyone with a view if this sailing out of Miami is likely to go ahead? Open to all opinions and views, but those backed with legitimate research and notes carry more weight 😉

Rooting for you. I wish I had that crystal ball to say if May 22 will be a go. And I need it as well. Not on MSC but on Royal Symphony same day. Was actually trying to talk the wife into doing Meraviglia on the 29th. Won't be booking anything else 2021 until things start moving. Good luck.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:24 AM, KennyFla said:

There are 2 kinds of people in the world.  Those who do, and those who criticize those who do.

BTW, I think DeSantis has done a hell of a job.

I spent 35 years "doing" service in the public health sector.

Some of us speak from education and experience. Some speak from ignorance.

I know which group I am in.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, georgemoe said:

Rooting for you. I wish I had that crystal ball to say if May 22 will be a go. And I need it as well. Not on MSC but on Royal Symphony same day. Was actually trying to talk the wife into doing Meraviglia on the 29th. Won't be booking anything else 2021 until things start moving. Good luck.

Princess have cancelled until mid May, US cruises like most others are looking unlikely.

• Like 1

You are asking for opinions so I'll share mine. I believe it will the fall of 2021 before cruising resumes in the USA with any degree of regularity. They may get the test cruises sailing before then, but we have a long way to go yet. The CDC 'return to sail' order should have been renamed "you aren't sailing anytime soon' order. I hope I'm wrong, but I'd have a back up for a May trip.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2021 at 2:12 PM, McHaggis69 said:

Thanks for comments so far. We in Scotland have just gone into another month long total lockdown from midnight tonight.

The additional problem for us is the cruise is linked to a further holiday in Canada afterwards. Getting the cruise, hotels and all flights changed from Sept2020 to May 2021 was very difficult... we are so keen to get there in May but it is looking to be somewhat unlikely I guess.

I am sorry to say that even if your May cruise goes, I think you will be hard pressed to be able to make Canada.  We have an Aug Alaska cruise that stops in Canada, and I don't have a positive feeling about it going!  Canada has very strict quarantine rules in place, so you had best check on that before you finalize vacation plans.  (We have a May cruise, too...and its a 9 day, which the CDC currently has said "no", but the cruise line is still selling.....)

2 hours ago, sidari said:

Princess have cancelled until mid May, US cruises like most others are looking unlikely.

I can't find the link now but I'm sure I saw that HAL, Carnival and someone else had extended cancellations until end of May today too. MSC is usually a couple of days behind so would expect an announcement in the next few days. 

Covid figures appear to be increasing significantly globally so it's not unexpected. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I can't find the link now but I'm sure I saw that HAL, Carnival and someone else had extended cancellations until end of May today too. MSC is usually a couple of days behind so would expect an announcement in the next few days. 

Covid figures appear to be increasing significantly globally so it's not unexpected. 

Princess:

https://cruiseindustrynews.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a279049f55440af83bd8660da&id=d10076b13d&e=e52b93018b

Carnival:

https://cruiseindustrynews.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a279049f55440af83bd8660da&id=9d4e9394ce&e=e52b93018b

HAL:

https://cruiseindustrynews.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a279049f55440af83bd8660da&id=8231478963&e=e52b93018b

Hopefully MSC will make cancellation notifications in a timely manner to give people a chance to make decisions around flights/accommodation etc.

On 1/4/2021 at 8:12 PM, McHaggis69 said:

Indeed and, for that reason alone, unfortunately your May cruise is more than likely to be cancelled....and you have the added huge complication with Canada (trying desperately to safeguard their borders, with limited success). I honestly believe our lockdown in Scotland will not begin to ease before April and International travel is going to be bust for some time.

We had our October 2020 Meraviglia cruise cancelled, and our next booking (Oceania Insignia) is scheduled July 2021 from NYC to Bermuda....mentally, we already conclude it will not happen.

Lang may yer lum reek!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

I just want to point out that HAL, Princess, and and Carnival are all the same company operate under CCL umbrella. CCL also owns costa, seabourn, aida, P&O, and cunard.  So CCL, Hal, and Princess cancelling is one company desicion. You probably already knew all this, but just for clarification :)

• Thanks 1

The Moderna vaccine dose may be cut in half, creating twice as many doses per bottle.  That, and the distribution system starting to take shape, could speed things up dramatically. A friend of ours was able to schedule her appointment online this morning, first day that has been available.   But it is anybody's guess when enough immunity has occurred to let the cruise lines begin.

Sadly, I am slowly resolving myself to not look forward to my birthday cruise on March 27th on the Meraviglia. I have kept my pom-poms shaking and flying but it does not look good. I would love to get the vaccination but alas in California I have a better chance at winning the California Lottery for millions. Meanwhile, I put a smile back on my face and started looking at other cruises for 2022. I still have three more rescheduled cruises "maybe" sailing this year. I am just praying the virus goes away. 

18 hours ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

Sadly, I am slowly resolving myself to not look forward to my birthday cruise on March 27th on the Meraviglia. I have kept my pom-poms shaking and flying but it does not look good. I would love to get the vaccination but alas in California I have a better chance at winning the California Lottery for millions. Meanwhile, I put a smile back on my face and started looking at other cruises for 2022. I still have three more rescheduled cruises "maybe" sailing this year. I am just praying the virus goes away. 

Hang in there.  Things are always at their worst right before they get better.  We will cruise again. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well - we got an email yesterday from our agent (Viva Voyage) confirming this cruise on 22nd May is now cancelled.

apparently if we wait a couple of weeks we will get 125% 'future cruise credit'.

We'd like to shift the cruise now to May 2022 but I think on reading things, we have to use the future cruise credit by April 2022.

Looks like its going to be December 2021 or maybe February 2022.

Now to try and shift all the flights and hotels that were associated with our vacation - AGAIN!

Not a big surprise on the cancellation.

We are booked on a Meraviglia cruise out of Miami in the end of July 2021.  

It is becoming increasing obvious that cruises out of Florida will probably also be cancelled for June and July.

While vaccinations are ongoing, Florida still doesn't have any consistent controls in place for social interactions and seems, especially when big money is involved, to encourage super spreader events.

A local epidemiologist at the University of South Florida has recently predicted that the state will experience another surge in Covid 19 cases due to the prevalence in Florida of some of the more contagious strains. 

With the large numbers of travelers that come into the state due to the warmer temperatures here and the lack of epidemiological controls, Florida will probably be known in history books as the "Covid Mary" of this pandemic for the USA.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, McHaggis69 said:

Well - we got an email yesterday from our agent (Viva Voyage) confirming this cruise on 22nd May is now cancelled.

apparently if we wait a couple of weeks we will get 125% 'future cruise credit'.

We'd like to shift the cruise now to May 2022 but I think on reading things, we have to use the future cruise credit by April 2022.

Looks like its going to be December 2021 or maybe February 2022.

Now to try and shift all the flights and hotels that were associated with our vacation - AGAIN!

Sorry to hear the news. My children and I canceled our Carnival June 5, 2021, birthday celebrate with mom cruise in and rebooked it for July 2022. The DH and I are waiting for MSC FCC credit to rebook our MSC cruise. Sadly this is becoming so common place it does not even bother me any longer. I just know I am going to really whoop it up once we start cruising again. Well, as much as this senior cn whoop it up.🤣