Anyone still booking cruises, or have we all given up?

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Are you meaning the suite or the regular Panoramic OV.  I had my great TA check on the price for the suite but it was a little rich for me. I've got to save my shekels for March 2023 30th anniversary.

Was referring to Panoramic Oceanview Suite (1804)...I have this cabin booked for a cruise (45th anniversary) and it isn't often that it can be booked for two and why it specifically caught my attention.

I haven't started booking 2023 yet...so good for you looking ahead....Enjoy !!

Hello,

In answer to the thread's question, no I am not booking - or at least not with RCI.

I think that in order to protect the company they let go anyone and everyone that knew what they were talking about and able to do what they are supposed to do.

I, and my TA, are arguing with them over refunds that should be FCCs, refunds or FCCs (I don't mind which) that are due but have been forgotten completely, the 25% uplift on FCCs on cruises cancelled by RCI but are only FCC'ed at the 100% rate, the transferability of NextCruise BoB OBC to another booking - and most of this going back to May last year.

The latest pain in the posterior is the Single Special Price supplement (of 50%) has not been posted on any(*) on the ex Southampton cruises for 2022. I have been told, and this is new news to me, bookings cannot be made using the DP340 code - it is only illustrative and the price has to be sought/confirmed & booked by flesh and blood in Miami (or it's satellites).

I don't have this problem with either P&O or Cunard - whose prices RCI seem keen to copy in 2022.

(*) Yes, there are two but that's only because I pushed them as I wanted to book those cruises early.

Regards,

Cublet

Booking for 2022 involves an element of risk. This includes things like:

- The vaccine rollout in your area is taking longer than expected.

- Mutations make revision of the vaccine necessary. 

- The cruise experience is still reliant on masks and social distancing. 
- RC runs out of money. 
- Cruise destinations are a lot slower in vaccine rollout meaning ports are closed. 

Whether you see any or all of the above as likely or unlikely, for me they require the prices for 2022 to be lower than I’m seeing right now in Europe.

Are you seeing deals in 2022 that makes booking worth the risk?

• Like 1

We have 4 cruises booked over the next 11 months.    However, even though the beverage packages are at low rates now, we have decided to hold off and see what happens.  We do not want to invest any more money now, or wait to get refunds.  Or worst case scenario, lose our investments.

12 hours ago, davekathy said:

Wasn't talking about a purchased retirement annuity. Only talking about SS or some other type of retirement from a where you retired from. My retirement is CSRS. 

I've always managed my own retirement IRA accounts. The only people who benefit financially from a pension annuity scheme are the agents that sell the annuities. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

- RC runs out of money. 
- Cruise destinations are a lot slower in vaccine rollout meaning ports are closed. 

Whether you see any or all of the above as likely or unlikely, for me they require the prices for 2022 to be lower than I’m seeing right now in Europe.

I have 5 bookings for 2022. Three were done pre-COVID and the current prices are anywhere from 40-80% higher than what we booked at. In the past month, I made the other two 2022 bookings. One is a bucket-list Arctic Circle cruise at what I consider a fair price. The other is a “re-do” of our cancelled 8/2020 Harmony cruise where we had the 4 bedroom Villa Suite for the whole family, 8 of us. The price for the 2022 version is about $1500 less than the 2020 version was. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Eventually you have to.  😉

Well, hopefully. 😇

I am not leaving anything left behind.  Our broker told us the best scenario is to let the last check bounce.  😉  

Though right now, we sure are not spending much of that retirement nest egg with travel being at a halt.  😞 

We are getting both bathrooms remodeled and some new furniture.  Next up...the home office and some new flooring.  🤗

• Like 4

We currently have 4 cruises booked.  

October 2021  Australia/New Zealand

November 2021 Carribean

December 2021 Caribbean

June 2022 Norwegian Fjords

We just booked the Norwegian Fjords cruise a few weeks ago and plan on booking a Japan cruise for October 2022.  We've now had 4 cruises cancelled and we opted to take the cash refunds on all of them.  For us, it made more sense to have the money in our pocket to do what we wanted to do with it, then be locked into a specific company's travel offerings.  In fact we took a big chunk of the money and had hurricane protection installed on our house which we've never had.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

I am not leaving anything left behind.  Our broker told us the best scenario is to let the last check bounce.  😉  

Though right now, we sure are not spending much of that retirement nest egg with travel being at a halt.  😞 

We are getting both bathrooms remodeled and some new furniture.  Next up...the home office and some new flooring.  🤗

I told my parents to time their natural parting from this world on the day they spend the last bit of credit anyone extended to them.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShawninFL said:

I told my parents to time their natural parting from this world on the day they spend the last bit of credit anyone extended to them.  

As the old adage goes: Being of sound mind, I spent all my money while I was alive!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

As the old adage goes: Being of sound mind, I spent all my money while I was alive!

51 minutes ago, davekathy said:

That's right because if you don't, your kids will. 

Our wills are really simple: “Being of sound mind, we spent it all.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

Someone once mentioned..."When is the last time you saw a U-Haul trailer attached to a hearse?"

Indeed can't take it with us...didn't work hard all our lives not to spend and enjoy it.  😉 

I'll drink to that. 🍷🍷

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, island lady said:

Someone once mentioned..."When is the last time you saw a U-Haul trailer attached to a hearse?"

Indeed can't take it with us...didn't work hard all our lives not to spend and enjoy it.  😉 

My good friend's similar saying: there are  no pockets in coffins.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, island lady said:

We started planning early, because my sister is a hc spoiled princess, and we dont have kids to take over. My parents were worried about leaving enough if my sister has to be placed in a home to live, it's expensive. Probably some errors but hard to know the future. They did buy a annuity back when interest rates were over 10% and we were assured it would grow. None of us predicted these low interest rates 30 or so years later.

Hindsight is 20/20 and sometimes if there is someone hc and a trust involved, you do what you think best.

7 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

- RC runs out of money. 

Yes...I got a great deal (late night the minute the bookings became available) on my Arctic Circle for July 2022 and hoping it sails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ashland said:

Was referring to Panoramic Oceanview Suite (1804)...I have this cabin booked for a cruise (45th anniversary) and it isn't often that it can be booked for two and why it specifically caught my attention.

I haven't started booking 2023 yet...so good for you looking ahead....Enjoy !!

My last cruise (Mariner Feb 2020) was in that cabin.  Loved it!!!

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

Did a L&S for our March 2021 cruise, the April 2021 requested FCC.  I did book Allure September 2021 and Mariner May 2022, will use the FCC on these 2.  So yes I'm still booking and hoping it gets better soon. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

That's right because if you don't, your kids will. 

We're very fortunate...enough for not only us to enjoy but to leave also. We also enjoy gifting them now to watch them enjoy. Family cruises priceless memories.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, molly361 said:

My last cruise (Mariner Feb 2020) was in the cabin.  Loved it!!!

I was worried about giving up a balcony.....but couldn't pass up this new category and price point.

We have it booked for Freedom Canada/NE Oct 14th and am keeping my fingers crossed that

it sails.

• Like 1