COVID-19 testing for embarking overseas, will Celebrity provide or assist.

4774Papa

I know that our TransAtlantic Reflection cruise is still 9 months from now, but why not ask about a likely required COVID-19 test?

We plan to spend a couple of weeks in Italy prior to embarking on our TA cruise back to the USA in October.

Will Celebrity provide us with or assist us in the testing process, so passenger would be able to easily locate testing while overseas?  

It appears that even if we have received the vaccine that a test will still be required?

Good question.  i haven't seen anything that addresses that issue.  We have a cruise in Oct departing from Lisbon.  I suspect we may need a test to board the plane to Lisbon.  If a rapid test doesn't suffice then we would need a test about 3 days before flying.  We will be in Lisbon 3 days pre cruise - making our 1st test probably too old for boarding the cruise.  So we would need to get tested as soon as we get to Lisbon.   Then we made need to be tested on the ship to disembark in Spain.  We plan to spend 6 days in Spain, so possibly another test to return to the US.  Testing may cost more than the cruise lol!

On the bright side we get our fist shot of the vaccine tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

I know that our TransAtlantic Reflection cruise is still 9 months from now, but why not ask about a likely required COVID-19 test?

Chances of that are any other Trans-atlantics through the rest of 2021 look to be near zero

We plan to spend a couple of weeks in Italy prior to embarking on our TA cruise back to the USA in October.

Will Celebrity provide us with or assist us in the testing process, so passenger would be able to easily locate testing while overseas?  

It is highly unlikely the cruise lines want to get involved in disembarkation testing. They may not have the liability shield like they do for embarkation. They certainly could help locate a 3rd party though.

It appears that even if we have received the vaccine that a test will still be required?

The vaccine does not prevent you from getting and spreading covid. It is meant to lessen the impact so you still will be required to get tested if that is mandated by the cruise line or country you are entering.

Yes, that is the price.   We are going to Hawaii, we think, the end of February and the price of the accepted test is $250.   Is has to be taken no more than 72 hours before your flight departs for Hawaii.    If you decide to spend time in Europe before the cruise you can expect similar costs.   Celebrity might steer you to a provider.   I doubt they will accept the quick nose swab as it is often inaccurate.   Hawaii wants a test conducted by a approved source and sent to an approved lab.   They have a list on Hawaii Safe.

If testing is required, I doubt that Celebrity will involve itself in providing the name or details of testing sites throughout the world for all of its foreign embarkation ports. Passengers are expected to take responsibility for many aspects of travel (getting passports, acquiring visas, getting necessary inoculations, getting to the embarkation port, etc.), and rightly so. Add googling COVID testing in Italy to your checklist of pre-cruise things to do. Or ask your TA if you use one.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Have had the first shot of the vaccine, 2nd one coming in a couple weeks.  I fully expect cruise lines to require the vaccine of both their crew and the passengers....avoiding having to worry about testing.

Not so sure of that,  Recent USA Today Article  on the new international flight rules for testing  had a Q and A section...Reply was that even with vaccination , tests would likely be required.

We will have both shots by the time we fly domestically to NY.   A test before and after flight is required in order to avoid quarantine,...i think it is now 10 days.  We plan not to test,.just wait it out!

4 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

The vaccine does not prevent you from getting and spreading covid. It is meant to lessen the impact so you still will be required to get tested if that is mandated by the cruise line or country you are entering.

No one knows that. The clinical trials were designed to measure reduction in illness. There has been little or no testing to determine if a vaccinated person can transmit the virus. No evidence it prevents transmission is not evidence that it doesn't.

But yes, I'd still expect all current control measures, including testing, to be required for months if not a year or more after a critical mass is vaccinated.

3 hours ago, LGW59 said:

My COVID test in Oct was $485, thankfully my insurance covered it

Health insurance?

Just curious. There's a big sign at the local military hospital informing TRICARE beneficiaries that TRICARE (and presumably Medicare, VA, etc.) does not cover testing for travel or any other non-medically indicated purpose. They are still doing screening, so I suppose if you wanted to risk your health care coverage, retirement pay, military justice for active duty, etc., you could just pull in for a test, but I think they're limiting those to people reporting some symptoms, or needing pre-procedure screening. And no guarantee (other than pre-procedure screening) you'd get the results fast enough anyway.

8 hours ago, hcat said:

Not so sure of that,  Recent USA Today Article  on the new international flight rules for testing  had a Q and A section...Reply was that even with vaccination , tests would likely be required.

We will have both shots by the time we fly domestically to NY.   A test before and after flight is required in order to avoid quarantine,...i think it is now 10 days.  We plan not to test,.just wait it out!

Makes no sense to me...if you've had the vaccine more than 2 weeks before flight why does anyone need a Covid test if it is REALLY 95% effective.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Makes no sense to me...if you've had the vaccine more than 2 weeks before flight why does anyone need a Covid test if it is REALLY 95% effective.

I totally agree.

Yes, I understand that after received the vaccine's two doses you can still carry the virus.

https://www.ibtimes.sg/can-you-still-spread-coronavirus-after-taking-vaccine-researchers-explain-54288

However, if everyone on the flight has had the vaccine, why test?  It would appear that if the vaccine is 95% effective then the risk to others would be extremely low.

I understand that authorities want to be conservative to protect people, and if a test is easy to do, then OK, I am with it.  Still, I don't want to be stuck in a foreign country and not be able to find a testing site or have to pay almost $500 pp for a test.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

The vaccines are shown to reduce disease by approximately 95%. It’s unknown if it stops infection and transmission. And by unknown, no evidence either way. It will be months and other types of studies to know one way or another. So testing will almost certainly continue. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Have had the first shot of the vaccine, 2nd one coming in a couple weeks.  I fully expect cruise lines to require the vaccine of both their crew and the passengers....avoiding having to worry about testing.

I hope you are right! The messaging from our government has been that vaccines will not replace the need for testing..but I assume/hope that is just temporary. The question is how temporary. It sounds like the vaccine may be an annual thing as well, so that adds a layer of complexity.

18 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Don't you already know the answer to your questions?  Nobody knows yet.  To be determined.  Once operations are resumed I would guess we will all have some answers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Don't you already know the answer to your questions?  Nobody knows yet.  To be determined.  Once operations are resumed I would guess we will all have some answers.

TeeRick,

Yes, I realize that firm answers are not likely, but asking them now may help the cruise lines focus on passengers concerns.  I understand that the cruise lines do read these boards.  Also, we can still learn from others, like someone posting they paid almost $500 for a COVID test.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

TeeRick,

Yes, I realize that firm answers are not likely, but asking them now may help the cruise lines focus on passengers concerns.  I understand that the cruise lines do read these boards.  Also, we can still learn from others, like someone posting they paid almost $500 for a COVID test.

Yes I agree and thank you.  I do believe the cruise lines have heard a lot from customers and health experts and medical review boards and of course agencies like the CDC.  I am making a wild assumption that all of this is included in their return to operations plans.  We shall see.

• Like 1

Who knows if you will even be allowed to enter Italy. The cart is firmly before the horse with your concerns. Expect a lot to change in 10 months.

You can check the website for the US Embassy in Italy for current information along with estimated prices for testing (which are no where near the costs mentioned here).