Any news on HAL test cruises?

POA1

I did a quick scan of the board but didn't see anything. Apologies if it's here and I missed it.

In order to get CDC certification, ships have to do crew-only and crew + pax certification sailings. Has anyone heard about HAL's? Because if they are doing some out of Port Everglades, I know where there are two hands, raised way up high.

[youtube]ju-lptJweTc[/youtube]

Apparently the old YouTube embed code no longer works.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Kirk for NC posted about this a few weeks ago. The consensus among CC users is that HAL well wait for the vaccine to get into enough of the population so the CDC relaxes the cruise rules a bit and everyone with vaccine proof will be allowed to sail. Obviously with the vaccine rollout SNAFU's this may not happen until July.

I would think staff will all have to be trained in new protocols and on board medical staff will have a specific way of treating anyone who presents symptoms or tests positive once the cruise sails.

-Paul

Edited by kangforpres

I saw a rumor today that the CDC will be making a announcement in regards to the cruise industry this week.   

I think the no sail unless vaccinated will set aside any other rules.   The cruise lines can and should buy vaccine and vaccinate the crew.  Before you fuss understand they can buy vaccine from non-western sources like China, India, etc...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I saw a rumor today that the CDC will be making a announcement in regards to the cruise industry this week.   

There was a poster on the MSC Board that indicated that the CDC on Friday declared an extension of the "no sail" order until September.  I do wonder if this is true.  I have not seen any other comments about this.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

There was a poster on the MSC Board that indicated that the CDC on Friday declared an extension of the "no sail" order until September.  I do wonder if this is true.  I have not seen any other comments about this.  

That was posted in error. Someone saw one of the previous CDC announcements -- the one that extended the "No Sail" period until September 2020. CDC however did not include a date (e.g., 2020 vs. 2021), so it was misinterpreted.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The CDC website hasn’t changed.  CDC cruise

but the current order does expire Tuesday.  I guess it is wait and see

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

That was posted in error. Someone saw one of the previous CDC announcements -- the one that extended the "No Sail" period until September 2020. CDC however did not include a date (e.g., 2020 vs. 2021), so it was misinterpreted.

Thanks for telling me this.  I am guilty for responding to that post and for anything else that I have said, which isn't much thankfully, about this "fake news".  

• Like 1

I feel like the CDC essentially stopped working with the cruise lines in mid November when it became clear there would be a new Director and possibly significant senior staff change over coming on 1/20/21.  I also think the cruise lines have stopped working on meeting the current conditional sailing order while they wait to see what the new CDC team decide they want to do related to the cruise industry.  In other words nothing is happening of any consequence for any US based cruise line.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I think the no sail unless vaccinated will set aside any other rules.   The cruise lines can and should buy vaccine and vaccinate the crew.  Before you fuss understand they can buy vaccine from non-western sources like China, India, etc...

It may be related to this Executive Order Biden signed last week.

The 1/21 Executive Order gave Homeland Security and the Coast Guard 14 days to submit plans to implement at sea ports. These plans could largely impact any passenger cruise movement.

we are back to a two week waiting game to see what all this means.

• Like 2

So it's fair to say that no one has heard anything concrete?

We can be packed and ready to sail with a few hours notice. And, I'm absolutely ready to do a live from, including reviews of the PBP* and all flavors of the Quarantinis.

"Pandemic Beverage Package - All liquors must be a minimum of 90 proof - for safety! You can have unlimited bottled water, sodas, fruit juices or specialty coffees, as long as you take a shot of Wild Turkey 101 bourbon. (Because science!)

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, POA1 said:

We can be packed and ready to sail with a few hours notice. And, I'm absolutely ready to do a live from, including reviews of the PBP* and all flavors of the Quarantinis.

"Pandemic Beverage Package - All liquors must be a minimum of 90 proof - for safety! You can have unlimited bottled water, sodas, fruit juices or specialty coffees, as long as you take a shot of Wild Turkey 101 bourbon. (Because science!)

LOL 😅

With only   a very small part of the US population getting the first injections ,imo it is going to be at least 3 to 4 months before we see any improvement in the numbers of Americans getting the vaccine & then in most cases will need the 2 shot program . Thus ,if I were to take a wild guess & that all it is a guess ,we are yet 6 months away from cruises starting .Thus ,that would be July /August   with CDC approval  ;as well as the Federal Judge  in Floridafor any CCL ships sailing from US ports because of the Princess cruise line dumping  into the seas

56 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Oh my!  POA1........   I have missed you!!!  Please post all your experiences with the new “Pandemic Beverage Package”. 

Tomorrow I was supposed to fly to FLL to board the Nieuw Statendam on January 27 for a 4-day "test" cruise.  It was canceled shortly after I made final payment.

Edited by Roz
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, POA1 said:

You may have to drink them from your cabin via room service.

4 minutes ago, Roz said:

Tomorrow I was supposed to fly to FLL to board the Nieuw Statendam on January 27 for a 4-day "test" cruise.  It was canceled shortly after I made final paymenent.

So you were act signed up for a test cruise?  I thought they were free plus this is the first I have heard that HAL had one scheduled.

@KirkNC, it was a "regular" cruise I booked back in December 2019.  When it was getting close to final payment, my TA contacted HAL to inquire about its status.  She was assured this one was likely to go because it was one of the few HAL cruises under 7 days and its length and timing would work for a test cruise.  

I didn't know test cruises had to be free.  Is that a CDC requirement?  Maybe HAL was going to refund our fares.  In any event, just speculation because it was a no go.

1 hour ago, Roz said:

@KirkNC, it was a "regular" cruise I booked back in December 2019.  When it was getting close to final payment, my TA contacted HAL to inquire about its status.  She was assured this one was likely to go because it was one of the few HAL cruises under 7 days and its length and timing would work for a test cruise.  

I didn't know test cruises had to be free.  Is that a CDC requirement?  Maybe HAL was going to refund our fares.  In any event, just speculation because it was a no go.

I think you were misinformed. Test cruises will be free...Your TA and the person at HAL he/she talked to were either in full tilt speculation mode, or worse. No regularly scheduled cruise will be a "test" cruise...for several reasons, the first being, most likely, a test cruise will not stop at any port. The purpose of a test cruise is to test the employees and new policies and procedures. Not to entertain guests or do things like port stops.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roz said:

Yes, test cruises being free is part of the CDC requirement.