Obstructed Balcony Cabins on Solstice Class

kebrown

Can anyone recommend a deck 6 obstructed balcony cabin on the Solstice Class ships where the obstruction is minimal?  I am specifically interested in deck 6 on the Reflection but I assume all Solstice Class ships have the same design on deck 6.

KEBROWN

I assume that you are trying to manage your budget by looking for an obstructed balcony, but you may not realize that there is not that much price difference between a poor 2D deck 6 obstructed balcony cabin and a wonderful unobstructed 1A deck 8 or 9 cabin on the slant of the hump with a much larger balcony.

As examples, I just checked two cruises on the Reflection.  For a 7 night Caribbean cruise in Jan 2022, the 1A is only 5% higher than the 2D; for a 10 night Mediterranean cruise in Jul 2022, the 1A is only 2% higher than the 2D. If you can possibly afford the 2-5% increase you would find it well worth the money and certainly enjoy it much more.

The 1A cabins on the slant of the hump have balconies that are either about 25% or more than 100% larger than a standard balcony.  On deck 9 the 100% are cabins 9209, 9215, 9266 & 9270 while the 25% are 9207, 9211, 9264 & 9268. On deck 8 the 100% are 8253, 8257, 8279, 8283, 8226, 8230, 8252 & 8256 while the 25% are the other 8 cabins on the slant adjacent to the 100% cabins.

Happy eventual cruising.

Thank you, everyone.  This is good information.  I have one other question.  How does the Captain's Club upgrade work on these regular balcony cabins?  For instance, can I book a 2A for the price of a 2B on deck 7 on the Solstice Class ships?

1 hour ago, Cruzmama said:

We are booked on Reflection #6220, in the middle  of the hump.  I'm assuming there is no obstruction here from what I can tell??

That is correct.  That entire section of the flat portion of the hump, there would be no obstruction as there are no lifeboats or boat davits below.  They are 2B category staterooms on Deck 6.

6 hours ago, kebrown said:

Thank you, everyone.  This is good information.  I have one other question.  How does the Captain's Club upgrade work on these regular balcony cabins?  For instance, can I book a 2A for the price of a 2B on deck 7 on the Solstice Class ships?

Yes, but there are a few of restrictions - including that you cannot upgrade from C2 to C1 nor from 12 to 11.  Here is the info from the Celebrity website:

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a super category upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Galapagos voyages. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes categories 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. On Celebrity Edge categories 12, 9, 7, 6, IO, 1B, 1A, SV, ES, E1, C2, C1, A1 are also excluded. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings.

Note that the "depending on availability" includes the fact that you cannot upgrade from a lower category to a higher category if there is no cabin available in the lower category since if there is no available cabin in the lower category then there is no specified price for that lower category. I once wanted to get an A1 cabin at an A2 fare, but had to wait several hours until an A2 became available.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

14 hours ago, Cruzmama said:

We are booked on Reflection #6220, in the middle  of the hump.  I'm assuming there is no obstruction here from what I can tell??

Just keep in mind that all the cabins on deck 6 in the middle of the hump on the Reflection are adjoining and the connecting doors are located in the cabin as opposed to the other Solstice class where the connecting doors are located in the doors in the inset of the foyer double doors. 

2 hours ago, Travelexpert35 said:

I’ve booked 2C categories on Deck 6 and found that aft cabins 6300 and 6298 have just the blue roof of the specialty restaurants below us. I’ve been happy with these cabins. 

Agree, they have large balconies and are very quiet. We've booked 6300 a few times.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, koolforkatz said:

Agree, they have large balconies and are very quiet. We've booked 6300 a few times.

Likewise. I had 6301 for a 16 day Australia/New Zealand half circumnavigation in 2018. Had to remember that crew doing cleaning maintenance could wander past the balcony.

• Like 1

This website has a database and some pictures that tell/show you what the obstruction looks like.  You will have to scroll down past the top to mid page, select the cruise line then ship, then floor.  They may have a picture of the room.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/index.php

Edited by Plum Happy

On 25/01/2021 at 3:30 PM, kebrown said:

I mostly travel solo and always book a 2D and get a 2C as an upgrade.  Then I watch pricing and many times get a 1A and sometimes even a concierge cabin on one of the high decks mid ship with huge slanted balcony with no increase in price. You have to be monitoring pricing and act fast as these cabins go quickly. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 11:55 PM, lyndarra said:

Likewise. I had 6301 for a 16 day Australia/New Zealand half circumnavigation in 2018. Had to remember that crew doing cleaning maintenance could wander past the balcony.

I’m looking to book one of these 1C at the far end of Deck 6. How often do people/workmen walk past your balcony? Port days or port days and sea days. I’d hate to be changing in the morning...and someone just walks past the balcony!

1 hour ago, Lobbylin said:

I’m looking to book one of these 1C at the far end of Deck 6. How often do people/workmen walk past your balcony? Port days or port days and sea days. I’d hate to be changing in the morning...and someone just walks past the balcony!

There are no 1C balconies on deck six on the S class ships. They are 2C and are the second cheapest of the balcony cabins. They are listed as partial obstruction with the obstruction being the roof of the Tuscan restaurant. You cannot look straight down to the water but you can look out with no obstruction. The last 2 on the port and starboard side have huge angled balconies.  Once many years ago I saw a worker cleaning but he was at the end of the roof top and did not see me on the balcony.  They don't come anywhere near your balcony.

If you're concerned just close the curtains while changing. These cabins sell out quickly many months in advance. If you don't mind the walk the location is great.  By the way I had 6300 once as the other 4 were sold out and it was just a regular size. 

8 minutes ago, spendless said:

2C on deck 6 has have minimal obstruction. Really only looking down on lifeboats. Nothing in front of you. We always go up to deck 7 for very small additional cost.

I've stayed in 2C many times but only at the back of the ship. Lifeboats are on deck 5 and nowhere near my cabin. In fact, I have to look pretty far down the ship to see a lifeboat. On the other hand depending on location on deck 7 you may still be in front of a Lifeboat. Been on the Solstice class of ships at least 10 or 12 times.