New to Regent, what about tips for the staff?

6 hours ago, daetchief said:

I apologize to those who have seen this before, but I'm inclined to use it every time this topic comes up.  [Bi-annually?]

"""But if the tipping is because your treatment was exemplary and you openly disregard Regent policy,""""

Please point out that Policy that I constantly seem to "disregard?"

J

On 2/16/2021 at 12:02 PM, leanstostarboard said:

We have just booked our first cruise on Regent, for August 2022.

I see that Regent does not charge for gratuities, but do passenger tip?    We have sailed Holland America often and we tip selected staff members based on our experience with them while in the cruise.   Are those kinds of tips common on Regent? 

We have always given an extra tip to the crew fund, which benefits everyone, since we have always had overall good service on our Regent Cruises. Have we also given an extra tip to someone who interacted with us everyday on a long cruise, such as our back to back cruise that lasted over a month? Yes, we have. Do we pass out plenty of tips to everyone we've interacted with? No, we don't. But we do mention everyone by name who's service was memorable when filling out our comments card, and hope that Regent keeps them as employees in the future.

• Like 2

My last cruise was in 2019 and was the last segment of a world cruise, some of the world cruisers suggested to fellow passengers to trade in their Regent points for insulated cups and then give them to their room stewards/stewardesses since this allowed them to bring drinks back to their rooms.  I am not sure if this was needed but it was suggested by people who had spent months listing to crew members. You may find other ways such as this to show your appreciation. 

Just now, Scout16 said:

My last cruise was in 2019 and was the last segment of a world cruise, some of the world cruisers suggested to fellow passengers to trade in their Regent points for insulated cups and then give them to their room stewards/stewardesses since this allowed them to bring drinks back to their rooms.  I am not sure if this was needed but it was suggested by people who had spent months listing to crew members. You may find other ways such as this to show your appreciation. 

I have often used points to get gifts for room stewards; always been appreciated.

My standard for tipping service staff on Regent (FKA Radisson) is this. For performance of their jobs, tips are included in the fare (as they should be — fares are rather high). But if I ask a service crew member to do something beyond their job description, and they do it, I will offer a nice tip.I recall when we were settling into our suite on a Regent cruise my wife had a head ache. I asked the stewardess if she would go and get us some aspirin or other headache meds. She did, and I offered a $10 tip, and she refused! Now, running errands for me is not part of a room stewardess’s job description. That was 15 years ago, and I still wish she would have accepted the offer of a tip. Now for overall great service on Regent (FKA Radisson), which we have always enjoyed, we donate to the crew fund. Always have.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 10:43 AM, mrlevin said:

I have often used points to get gifts for room stewards; always been appreciated.

Newbie question--what are "Regent points"?

Thanks to all for insight into tipping on Regent.  Hoping DH and I can put ideas into practice on our scheduled Voyager Med in Sep.

Regent rewards won thru trivia and various indoor and outdoor games onboard; I think also for the Mensa quiz.  Easy to accumulate a couple hundred on longer cruises.  I think it used to be 43,560 points for a Ferrari, but that might not be available any more since Captain Knute left.

Edited by mrlevin
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, sailbynite said:

I both tip different crew members who standout and give to the crew welfare fund.

Do you tip at the end of cruise to those that have stood out or do you tip during the middle of the cruise in order to get yet better service?

5 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Do you tip at the end of cruise to those that have stood out or do you tip during the middle of the cruise in order to get yet better service?

Only at the very end... when do you normally tip? At the end.... it’s for services rendered!

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 1

For goodness sake, why is this still a topic? If you are against additional gratuities, do not give them. If you wish to contribute to the Crew Fund (a lovely idea), please do. If a staff member had gone above and beyond to the point that you wish to express your gratitude with a gratuity of some sort, by all means do so. As has been expressed, admittedly ad nauseam, we frequently give cash or gifts to those who have been so wonderful with their time and service while also giving generously to the Crew Fund. This is never done for any sort of notoriety, but it is our money and we are entitled to give it away as we wish. Enough of the “do not tip” preaching. All that said, discretion is probably best. #endofrant

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1