Others Booking 2023? - No Idea what to Do

LuCruise

Another general question but are others booking cruises for 2023 (or late 2022) or waiting?  And if so, are you booking based on cruises booked in 2021/2022?  I am totally up in the air what to do based on a few things.  Aside from when ships will start up, there is the issues of the border (Canadian), when vaccines will be available (general public, kids - one will be 16 and one 12 by the summer), quarantine rules to be lifted, etc.  

I am obsessed with trying Anthem as a family before my son goes off to university and we already have 2 bookings (Dec and double booked for March 22).  Don't think Dec will happen based on all of us getting a vaccine.  March is iffy and if things are back then we need to decide which one (and Miami port vs NJ may be a variable too).  If March is a no-go, then we could book short summer 2022 cruise (not Anthem) or Anthem Dec 2022 or Anthem Mar 2023.  Ugh.  

We book refundable but don't want to have many deposits for just place holders.  But then, if we wait, won't prices sky rocket even more?  And then of course, what room to book...as it depends on FCCs if they are extended or if they are lost.  Even ignoring FCCs, we would be downgrading from what we have booked now (e.g. 1 balcony vs 2).

So many factors.  Are others booking and do you have the same kind of dilemmas? 

Edited by LuCruise

I have booked sept 2022, but its $300 more than april that just got cancelled.

I do think by march 2022 when you are booked a lot will be resolved. Some doctors predict herd immunity as soon as this april or so. What the cdc will do is another matter, as they dont seem to want any cases onboard. What the Canadian govt will do idk either. You might have to go home and quarantine. Everyone but maybe florida seems to want to error on the cautious side.

Caribbean longer dates should be released by mid march, seems like booking earlier rather than later has better prices but who knows how many will cancel once they hear masks and tests are required or whatever is required.

Maybe move your dec 2021 cruise to 2023 when dates are released if you are worried. There is a good chance the canadian govt wouldnt have changed their stance by then. ..but I'm keeping my dec 2021 cruise. I'll roll with whatever is required. 

There's nothing currently listed that is of any interest to us. Perhaps once they release the longer itineraries we will book. With 14 cruises currently booked (who knows how many of them will actually sail), we can wait.

• Like 1

We have 3 cruises booked for 2022 and 1 for early 2023. They are all cruises we wanted to do and wanted to book them before the prices go up. Case in point, we booked the 14 night Grandeur cruise in Feb 2022 when it was 1st released as the itinerary was too good to pass up. We booked an inside cabin all in for about $2000 CAD, it currently would cost us almost $3700.

I know it's all up in the air about what will happen but we know what we want to do when it comes to cruising so we have no issue booking the cruises. We like to be optimistic that cruising will resume this year. It may not be the same at first but at this point we just want to go on vacation. We have only been out of the province twice this past year and that was last summer when we had the "Atlantic Bubble" and those were just over long weekends. Our last cruise was in Nov 2019 and it was on Anthem. Great ship, you will enjoy her 🙂 

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Another general question but are others booking cruises for 2023 (or late 2022) or waiting?  And if so, are you booking based on cruises booked in 2021/2022?  I am totally up in the air what to do based on a few things.  Aside from when ships will start up, there is the issues of the border (Canadian), when vaccines will be available (general public, kids - one will be 16 and one 12 by the summer), quarantine rules to be lifted, etc.  

I am obsessed with trying Anthem as a family before my son goes off to university and we already have 2 bookings (Dec and double booked for March 22).  Don't think Dec will happen based on all of us getting a vaccine.  March is iffy and if things are back then we need to decide which one (and Miami port vs NJ may be a variable too).  If March is a no-go, then we could book short summer 2022 cruise (not Anthem) or Anthem Dec 2022 or Anthem Mar 2023.  Ugh.  

We book refundable but don't want to have many deposits for just place holders.  But then, if we wait, won't prices sky rocket even more?  And then of course, what room to book...as it depends on FCCs if they are extended or if they are lost.  Even ignoring FCCs, we would be downgrading from what we have booked now (e.g. 1 balcony vs 2).

So many factors.  Are others booking and do you have the same kind of dilemmas? 

I have a couple holds for myself for both Christmas2022 and March 2023.  Will decide next week once the longer itineraries come out.  I'm not overly concerned about prices rising as there is a fair bit of group space that's refundable and cheaper.  It's only the cabins I need to lock in.

definitely not concerned about vaccines by those dates. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I have booked sept 2022, but its $300 more than april that just got cancelled.

I do think by march 2022 when you are booked a lot will be resolved. Some doctors predict herd immunity as soon as this april or so. What the cdc will do is another matter, as they dont seem to want any cases onboard. What the Canadian govt will do idk either. You might have to go home and quarantine. Everyone but maybe florida seems to want to error on the cautious side.

Caribbean longer dates should be released by mid march, seems like booking earlier rather than later has better prices but who knows how many will cancel once they hear masks and tests are required or whatever is required.

Maybe move your dec 2021 cruise to 2023 when dates are released if you are worried. There is a good chance the canadian govt wouldnt have changed their stance by then. ..but I'm keeping my dec 2021 cruise. I'll roll with whatever is required. 

$300 more for 2022 than your current booking isn't that bad.  If we were to book the same 2 rooms we have on Anthem, it would cost us $2k more.  

I think cruises will be running by March 2022, but the biggest bottlenecks for us will be (1) Canadian government, (2) vaccine available for kids, espeically our 12 year old.

Yeah true, many will cancel if masks are mandated.  We are ok if that's what it takes to cruise, but would want Royal to require a vaccine for everyone.  So many factors in stake.

We'll hold onto our Dec 2021 until final payment and then decide....but doubt it will work for us so am mentally preparing for when to replace it (which have added many scenarios in my original post)

Edited by LuCruise

38 minutes ago, NSnewcruiser said:

We have 3 cruises booked for 2022 and 1 for early 2023. They are all cruises we wanted to do and wanted to book them before the prices go up. Case in point, we booked the 14 night Grandeur cruise in Feb 2022 when it was 1st released as the itinerary was too good to pass up. We booked an inside cabin all in for about $2000 CAD, it currently would cost us almost $3700.

I know it's all up in the air about what will happen but we know what we want to do when it comes to cruising so we have no issue booking the cruises. We like to be optimistic that cruising will resume this year. It may not be the same at first but at this point we just want to go on vacation. We have only been out of the province twice this past year and that was last summer when we had the "Atlantic Bubble" and those were just over long weekends. Our last cruise was in Nov 2019 and it was on Anthem. Great ship, you will enjoy her 🙂 

Yeah, we have no problem booking...if...there was one path and it was obvious when things would run. Maybe it's good that Anthem isn't in USA for summer...lol.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I have a couple holds for myself for both Christmas2022 and March 2023.  Will decide next week once the longer itineraries come out.  I'm not overly concerned about prices rising as there is a fair bit of group space that's refundable and cheaper.  It's only the cabins I need to lock in.

definitely not concerned about vaccines by those dates. 

I totally get that....to grab the stateroom for options. Makes sense too if you want to book a specific cabin.

Yeah, by late 2022 we should be good for vaccines for everyone (and probably into second rounds if it's a yearly thing).  But I think early 2022 is iffy, especially for those with kids under 16.

1 minute ago, LuCruise said:

I totally get that....to grab the stateroom for options. Makes sense too if you want to book a specific cabin.

Yeah, by late 2022 we should be good for vaccines for everyone (and probably into second rounds if it's a yearly thing).  But I think early 2022 is iffy, especially for those with kids under 16.

If everything goes as planned with both the US and Canada having vaccinated everyone who wants a vaccine by Sept / oct of this year that will drive the numbers down to what you would expect annually with the flu and I could see the restrictions being eased.  Covid won't go away  but we can control it and once it doesn't pose a threat to overloading our health care system then I feel restrictions will ease.  Personally I don't think that age will matter in 2022 but booking refundable is definitely the way to go

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, NSnewcruiser said:

we booked the 14 night Grandeur cruise in Feb 2022 when it was 1st released as the itinerary was too good to pass up. We booked an inside cabin all in for about $2000 CAD, it currently would cost us almost $3700.

I couldn't believe how quickly the prices on this cruise skyrocketed.  I did the same as you did - booked within the first 2 days of this itin coming out.  We paid $7256.42 for 2 BR GS, which includes $490 worth of gratuities.  That same suite today is $16,930.42 BEFORE the gratuities are added in ! ...so with the grats that cruise is $17,420.42.  Holy crumbs !

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I couldn't believe how quickly the prices on this cruise skyrocketed.  I did the same as you did - booked within the first 2 days of this itin coming out.  We paid $7256.42 for 2 BR GS, which includes $490 worth of gratuities.  That same suite today is $16,930.42 BEFORE the gratuities are added in ! ...so with the grats that cruise is $17,420.42.  Holy crumbs !

Those Grandeur cruises are selling like hot cakes in UK. Direct flights from UK to Barbados make it an ideal winter sun trip which many TAs here have put together as a package with flights/hotel/cruise. 
My cabin cost $1300 and is now just over $3000!!

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I literally just said to Lisa, before I saw this thread, that I am not booking another cruise until ships start to sail.  We currently have one for this fall and March of next year. 

I have to book something.  I am very, very weak😇

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I don't expect to cruise at all in 2021, and have just one cruise booked for 2022 (two if I can Lift & Shift one from this year). The 2023 cruise itineraries of interest to me won't come out until this fall, so I will hold off at least until then.