CDC New Guidance For Vaccinated People

coffeebean

This thread was an interesting read. There are some very bright people posting on CC, some I would be delighted to sail with even if I don't share their opinions because I love a good discussion that can open my mind.

There was some talk about the media role in Covid19 which always prompts me to ask: 

1) Who owns the Media? 

2) How does the media earn money?

Therein lies your answer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I now have at least 6 friends or relatives with Covid experience: my dad, his partner, my wife, me, and 3 other friends. All have had mild cases or none at all (my 81 year old dad never had any symptoms, but his girlfriend did spend time in the hospital). My wife has immune system issues but never, repeat NEVER had any issues with breathing or high temperatures. Do I think Covid is a hoax? ABSOLUTELY NOT. But it does NOT kill or immobilize every person it touches. For every one of these "I know two people who died of it" there are people like me. And I still do pray for the dead and the ill, this disease can be deadly. But the continued restrictions have gotten to the point of being ridiculous by now. I shake my head when I see people outside in the fresh air with masks on. I can't even anymore..... 

• Like 4

On 3/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, coffeebean said:

Really unnecessary? Why then were Covid positive patients returned to nursing homes?

Frankly, the health care professionals and politicians (of both parties) panicked when they saw the data coming from various computer simulations of the pandemic.  Clearly those simulations indicated a need for the additional hospital beds resulting in the transfer of those patients to the nursing homes.  Sure, they could have been sent to the ships or the other field expedient hospitals.  

The real issue is why didn't the health care professionals and politicians (of both parties) revise their policies when it became apparent these policies were uncalled for.  Answer, by the time this was discovered the general population were so frightened by the media reports, news conferences, etc., that only the bravest of politicians could admit their errors, particularly the error of believing simulations are akin to reality. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2021 at 11:17 PM, mianmike said:

I'm glad to hear the CDC is sending copious amounts of vaccine to Florida.  We need Florida vaccinated so we can start cruising! 

Here in NC Group 4 is in full vaccination swing for the most part. There is no shortage. What we are short on is people wanting to take it. I got mine Friday. I can tell you that 8 hours after, my next 12 were worse than having covid. I think there are groups hoarding it. I can't believe some states are in Group 1 still. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Here in NC Group 4 is in full vaccination swing for the most part. There is no shortage. What we are short on is people wanting to take it. I got mine Friday. I can tell you that 8 hours after, my next 12 were worse than having covid. I think there are groups hoarding it. I can't believe some states are in Group 1 still. 

Here in AZ we're seeing the same.  Too many people have been influenced by the media and politicians and are convinced covid is no big deal.  This is where the CDC has really dropped the ball.  People that are not interested in doing the research don't understand the concept of exponential growth, virus mutations and the havoc these variants play in trying to quell a pandemic.  This virus is here to stay.  Hopefully the coming variants don't prove to be deadlier.   

• Like 2

Media companies and their media outlets.......

NBC Universal....NBC

Disney....ABC

National Amusements....CBS

Turner Broadcasting.....CNN

Rupert Murcoch....FOX

AT&T....Time Warner

Those are the ones most recognized.  Media companies earn money in many ways....movie production, TV production  print production, ad marketing, etc.

Not sure what this has to do with COVID vaccines on cruise ships, though.

2 hours ago, mianmike said:

Here in AZ we're seeing the same.  Too many people have been influenced by the media and politicians and are convinced covid is no big deal.  This is where the CDC has really dropped the ball.  People that are not interested in doing the research don't understand the concept of exponential growth, virus mutations and the havoc these variants play in trying to quell a pandemic.  This virus is here to stay.  Hopefully the coming variants don't prove to be deadlier.   

I don't understand how allocation to the states is managed and then how allocation within the states is handled. For weeks there has been a county in AZ offering vaccine to everyone over 18 and now so is the entire state of Alaska. Meanwhile, in NY, we are distributing vaccine as fast as we get it.... thousands of appointments will open up at one of the mass vaccination site and will be filled within hours. We have fairly broad eligibility now, with about 60% adults now being eligible for vaccine, but demand is still vastly exceeding supply. I don't understand why some counties/states seem to have so much more vaccine per capita than others.

Some examples:

Maine and Virginia have allegedly administered 90% of the vaccine they have received, yet 26% of Maine's population has received a 1st dose, while only 22% of Virginia's has. How does Maine have enough vaccine to inoculate 4% more of their state population?

Connecticut and Nevada have both administered 87% of the doses they've received, yet 27% Connecticut's population has a first dose, while only 21% of Nevada's population does.

Alaska has only used 71% of the doses they've received and given first doses to 28% of their population. Meanwhile Wisconsin has used 94% of the doses they've received but only 23% of their population has first doses.

One would assume states are receiving doses based on population, but that is clearly not the case.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't understand how allocation to the states is managed and then how allocation within the states is handled. For weeks there has been a county in AZ offering vaccine to everyone over 18 and now so is the entire state of Alaska. Meanwhile, in NY, we are distributing vaccine as fast as we get it.... thousands of appointments will open up at one of the mass vaccination site and will be filled within hours.

The county in AZ that's been offering vaccines to anyone 16+ is Gila County.  I've spent quite a bit of time there.  Gila County is predominately one political party that has historically not taken covid seriously.  I'm assuming Gila County did not receive any more doses per capita than other AZ counties and county health officials are struggling to get people to vaccinate.    

I like to use this map to compare our state to others. 

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations  

11 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't understand how allocation to the states is managed and then how allocation within the states is handled. For weeks there has been a county in AZ offering vaccine to everyone over 18 and now so is the entire state of Alaska. Meanwhile, in NY, we are distributing vaccine as fast as we get it.... thousands of appointments will open up at one of the mass vaccination site and will be filled within hours. We have fairly broad eligibility now, with about 60% adults now being eligible for vaccine, but demand is still vastly exceeding supply. I don't understand why some counties/states seem to have so much more vaccine per capita than others.

I don't know that laws/rules around getting vaccinated state by state, but I do know that people from outside of NC are signing up for the vaccine here and coming to get it. There is no requirement to be a resident of the state, county, nor city. 

On 3/9/2021 at 3:01 PM, ArthurUSCG said:

Humm, you might want to look into what data Florida makes available, it appears they have prioritized wealthy communities that have donated to the governors election committees.

Now that is funny

On 3/12/2021 at 10:39 AM, jezabel80 said:

The  Governor of NY did not want to give any credit to the President for responding and readying the  USNS Comfort, and the Javitz Center for Covid use.    Maybe if he had used these facilities,  instead of playing political games,   there would be thousands of elderly still alive today.

Yes

• Like 5

On 3/14/2021 at 6:34 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

This thread was an interesting read. There are some very bright people posting on CC, some I would be delighted to sail with even if I don't share their opinions because I love a good discussion that can open my mind.

There was some talk about the media role in Covid19 which always prompts me to ask: 

1) Who owns the Media? 

2) How does the media earn money?

Therein lies your answer.

Interesting point

Cheers

1 hour ago, GonzoWCS said:

Now that is funny

I was referring to the initial roll out of vaccines. But there continues to be, like in many states, disparities based on race and income levels, with those that are white and upper income levels having a higher vaccination rate.

In some states like MD, it is contributed to the decentralized reservation systems (every location has it's own website or phone system), where those with more disposable time or can afford to pay someone to hunt for a reservation.

13 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Some examples:

Maine and Virginia have allegedly administered 90% of the vaccine they have received, yet 26% of Maine's population has received a 1st dose, while only 22% of Virginia's has. How does Maine have enough vaccine to inoculate 4% more of their state population?

Connecticut and Nevada have both administered 87% of the doses they've received, yet 27% Connecticut's population has a first dose, while only 21% of Nevada's population does.

Alaska has only used 71% of the doses they've received and given first doses to 28% of their population. Meanwhile Wisconsin has used 94% of the doses they've received but only 23% of their population has first doses.

One would assume states are receiving doses based on population, but that is clearly not the case.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

New York is a mess. 

My 87-year-old mother could not get the vaccine there.  She is still a licensed/degreed RN and my brother, sister and I spent hours online and on hold on the phone trying to get her an appointment.  Never happened.  I finally had to buy her a first class ticket and fly her here to GA where she got the first dose with me when I went to my appointment.  I then called NY to let them know that she needed a second dose within three weeks, only to be told by a clerk, a supervisor and a manager at their Covid hotline that they would not schedule her.  So, I bought another first class ticket and flew her to GA again three weeks later for her second dose. 

My brother's wife is over 65 and has a fairly serious health issue and still has not received the vaccine. 

Another friend from eastern LI had to drive her 89-year-old Mom to Queens for her first dose and to the Bronx for her second.

18 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

New York is a mess. 

My 87-year-old mother could not get the vaccine there.  She is still a licensed/degreed RN and my brother, sister and I spent hours online and on hold on the phone trying to get her an appointment.  Never happened.  I finally had to buy her a first class ticket and fly her here to GA where she got the first dose with me when I went to my appointment.  I then called NY to let them know that she needed a second dose within three weeks, only to be told by a clerk, a supervisor and a manager at their Covid hotline that they would not schedule her.  So, I bought another first class ticket and flew her to GA again three weeks later for her second dose. 

My brother's wife is over 65 and has a fairly serious health issue and still has not received the vaccine. 

Another friend from eastern LI had to drive her 89-year-old Mom to Queens for her first dose and to the Bronx for her second.

I am not sure why your relatives in NY have had such difficulty. Literally every single person I know who is currently eligible for the vaccine here has received their first dose now, except for one friend who unfortunately had to attend her mother's funeral last week on the day she was scheduled, so she has rescheduled for next week.

The main hurdle I have heard about is that some people are unable/unwilling to travel to any of the mass vaccination sites and so they have had to wait for local pharmacies to get supply and up until the last couple of days, pharmacies could only vaccinate people based on age, not employment or co-morbidity.

My province (Ontario, Canada) just started the 80+ group this week.  They’ve decided to delay second doses for four months to attempt to get more people at least partially vaccinated.  We’re a long way from being able to travel.

50 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I am not sure why your relatives in NY have had such difficulty. Literally every single person I know who is currently eligible for the vaccine here has received their first dose now, except for one friend who unfortunately had to attend her mother's funeral last week on the day she was scheduled, so she has rescheduled for next week.

The main hurdle I have heard about is that some people are unable/unwilling to travel to any of the mass vaccination sites and so they have had to wait for local pharmacies to get supply and up until the last couple of days, pharmacies could only vaccinate people based on age, not employment or co-morbidity.

I read an article in Barrons where the writer interviewed several people in Suffolk County on Long Island who were struggling to schedule appointments.  What she found was that Suffolk was only getting 3,000 doses per week from the state.  Suffolk County has a population of 1.5 million.  If you also look at Nassau County, with its population of 1.4 million, it appears that the state is not providing sufficient doses in this area.

23 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

I read an article in Barrons where the writer interviewed several people in Suffolk County on Long Island who were struggling to schedule appointments.  What she found was that Suffolk was only getting 3,000 doses per week from the state.  Suffolk County has a population of 1.5 million.  If you also look at Nassau County, with its population of 1.4 million, it appears that the state is not providing sufficient doses in this area.

That goes back to my original point then that I don't understand how the decisions about allocation are being made. It seems like the federal government and then the individual state governments are not distributing doses based on population.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Well to start, Virginia has about 6X the population of Maine, but from first hand experience 10X the challenge of getting its act together in vaccinating its citizens.  They started trying to coordinate it by county then had the 'brilliant' idea to revert to a statewide delivery model.  Meanwhile, I got both shots from my primary care physician while the state was still trying to figure out how to schedule my appointment.  So the long and short of it is bureaucracy and less than capable leadership.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

Well to start, Virginia has about 6X the population of Maine, but from first hand experience 10X the challenge of getting its act together in vaccinating its citizens.  They started trying to coordinate it by county then had the 'brilliant' idea to revert to a statewide delivery model.  Meanwhile, I got both shots from my primary care physician while the state was still trying to figure out how to schedule my appointment.  So the long and short of it is bureaucracy and less than capable leadership.

Not sure how that jives with what I posted. According to the data, VA has administered 90% of the doses they have received, just like Maine. But, 4% more of Maine's population has received a first dose than Virginia's. That implies that Maine has RECEIVED more doses per capita then VA has, not that VA is having more trouble distributing doses than Maine is.

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

Not sure how that jives with what I posted. According to the data, VA has administered 90% of the doses they have received, just like Maine. But, 4% more of Maine's population has received a first dose than Virginia's. That implies that Maine has RECEIVED more doses per capita then VA has, not that VA is having more trouble distributing doses than Maine is.

Fair enough Jaimie.  What I'm saying in part is that I doubt the accounting of vaccinations is all that accurate and until I told the State that I had already received the vaccine, they still thought I needed it - they still think that today.  I think the distribution channels are varied and clearly the record keeping is flawed.

• Like 1

I live in NY and it was a bit of a pain to get an appointment. That was until JamieLogical taught me the trick of clicking to make an appointment at a site even if they say no appointments. Cancellations come up all the time but the status doesn't change from "No appointments available". I have been able to get myself, co-workers of my wife, my mother, my aunt, my neighbor, my father-in-law appointments (they all live in different parts of the state). We have all received our first shot and in the case of my mother she got her only needed shot of the Johnson&Johnson. 

It may take a little bit of time to get one, but usually you can get one within a week or two's time. 

On 3/16/2021 at 8:57 AM, bookbabe said:

My province (Ontario, Canada) just started the 80+ group this week.  They’ve decided to delay second doses for four months to attempt to get more people at least partially vaccinated.  We’re a long way from being able to travel.

Sounds like your province is mirroring the UK model for vaccinations and interval.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2021 at 10:16 AM, JamieLogical said:

That goes back to my original point then that I don't understand how the decisions about allocation are being made. It seems like the federal government and then the individual state governments are not distributing doses based on population.

The governor of California has indicated that doses should be prioritized based upon other factors, the groups with lower vaccination rates should be emphasized.