UK staycation cruise details launched

Adam Coulter

I'd really like to do one of the 3 or 4 night ones, but I imagine that Covid insurance is going to be difficult or mega expensive to obtain and for a short cruise which already looks like it will be pricey, I'm not sure that it would be worth it. 

32 minutes ago, cloud_nine said:

I'd really like to do one of the 3 or 4 night ones, but I imagine that Covid insurance is going to be difficult or mega expensive to obtain and for a short cruise which already looks like it will be pricey, I'm not sure that it would be worth it. 

I just had a look on www.holidayextras.com/pocruises and got a quote of £27 which includes covid cancellation, two existing conditions and proper cruise cover. I don't think that's too bad really. 

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, cloud_nine said:

If you plan on doing more than one trip in a year you could get a quote for annual ins. and do the sums,it could work out quite reasonable.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sallybunny said:

I just had a look on www.holidayextras.com/pocruises and got a quote of £27 which includes covid cancellation, two existing conditions and proper cruise cover. I don't think that's too bad really. 

That's not too bad actually. Might look into that one. Thanks.

For what it is worth, I reckon that people on cruises sailing this and next year - especially the first ones - will have a marvellous time.

Yes, there will be restrictions and inconveniences, and no, it won't be the same as the normal experience. BUT.... the cruise lines really, really need to make a success of it.

They want passengers to go home telling everybody what a wonderful time they had, how safe and well looked after they were, so they'll be pulling out all the stops to make sure people enjoy their cruise.

The cruise lines will have already abandoned all hope of a profit - or even breaking even - in 2021, so these cruises will be a loss-leader just to make people confident again.

Much later - end of 2022 or starting 2023 - is when the accountants will be going through all areas to see how and where they can start reducing debt, then we will see either big price increases, or a lot of trimming of service/standards, or maybe both.

I'm not booked for 2021 or 2022 - but I am quite certain that those of you who get on board will have a great time, masks and all.

Have fun.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

For what it is worth, I reckon that people on cruises sailing this and next year - especially the first ones - will have a marvellous time.

Yes, there will be restrictions and inconveniences, and no, it won't be the same as the normal experience. BUT.... the cruise lines really, really need to make a success of it.

They want passengers to go home telling everybody what a wonderful time they had, how safe and well looked after they were, so they'll be pulling out all the stops to make sure people enjoy their cruise.

The cruise lines will have already abandoned all hope of a profit - or even breaking even - in 2021, so these cruises will be a loss-leader just to make people confident again.

Much later - end of 2022 or starting 2023 - is when the accountants will be going through all areas to see how and where they can start reducing debt, then we will see either big price increases, or a lot of trimming of service/standards, or maybe both.

I'm not booked for 2021 or 2022 - but I am quite certain that those of you who get on board will have a great time, masks and all.

Have fun.

Yes I agree we have registered interest for an Iona cruise in August hopefully it will go ahead we’ve spent a year now behind closed doors and it’s now time for a change we have to move on with our lives before it’s too late life is for living not hiding away.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tring said:

Yes, I was looking at and comparing the two earlier.  There does not seem to be (or have been) anything at all from Fred in terms of covid policy about restrictions and policies that may be in place, yet cruises are now on sale and being booked, (in some cases), by people who have no idea what to expect as they have not been reading "everything cruise" over the past months like we have!  Also someone has reported booking a B2B with Fred, whilst P&O say they will not allow that.  Policies could vary, possibly because of less passengers on smaller ships, but would seem strange if they differ to any large extent.  

Fred's balconies are more expensive than P&O, but normally are of course.  Fred has scheduled in scenic cruising, which is normal for some of his cruises, especially in parts of Scotland which has high cliffs, (so probably deep water near to the coast), and will have Orca on board for the scenic cruising ones without ports.  Also a Norweigian Fjords cruise from Rosyth, but no ports.  Very little going south though.  Quite different offerings for the two companies, with Fred leaving from regional ports, so not really in competition with each other, which is interesting.

We may well have had an interest in booking something with our small amount of FCC from both companies, but as we both have medical issues ongoing, we are not keen since would need to get travel insurance at present.  May think about it in the summer if the price is right, when hopefully we will both have been discharged from ongoing hospital appointments. 

I like that P&O are bringing Britannia to Liverpool late September, so we have the chance to see a Sky Princess lookalike before the October cruise.  We can get the Ferry over, so be able to see her clearly from the river.  The compulsory excursions from Liverpool, (if want to leave the ship), are interesting as likely examples of what will be allowed in bubbled tours. 

Tours already mentioned  in P&O FAQ's are:-

Inside Anfield – Home of Liverpool FC - so coach to Anfield and tour of the stadium would be fine to keep passengers in their group.

In the footsteps of the Beatles - presumably a private tour of the museum and the other Beatles sites, which should also work well.

Liverpool at a Glance - presumably something like the HOHO bus, but no hopping off, so more of a HOSO bus (hop on stay on).

Will also be interesting to see what P&O will charge for those, but fair interest can be gained for them by any foreign travellers once cruises can re start internationally.  Liverpool port will be well used to dealing with cruise passengers by then as Fred is sailing a ship out of their from early July.

I agree that FO haven't been clear in their Covid guidelines yet. but nevertheless we have today booked one of their 5 night cruises in August departing from Liverpool and visiting Belfast (I really want to visit The Giants Causeway) and Falmouth.We have had to pay a 'silly' price for an inside cabin (though I was entitled to a small discount) but it will be a chance to try out one of their new ships with Open dining and from Liverpool

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Yes I agree we have registered interest for an Iona cruise in August hopefully it will go ahead we’ve spent a year now behind closed doors and it’s now time for a change we have to move on with our lives before it’s too late life is for living not hiding away.

Lindy with respect and not having a pop! It is not a case of hiding away, more a case of doing our civic duty and enduring,as we have done for the last 12 months. We have not been in anyone's company in all that time.and as the full time, and only carer I do mean enduring.But hey ho tomorrow will be a better day!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

We have some space in July/August but hope med fly cruises will open up by then.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Lindy with respect and not having a pop! It is not a case of hiding away, more a case of doing our civic duty and enduring,as we have done for the last 12 months. We have not been in anyone's company in all that time.and as the full time, and only carer I do mean enduring.But hey ho tomorrow will be a better day!

Hi  Mercury 7289 I agree we have done our civic duty and behaved exactly as we’ve been asked but now after a year I want my life back before it’s too late, in August I had my fourth cancer diagnosis within the last ten years and to be honest I just want to enjoy the rest of my life doing what I enjoy which for me is cruising we need a way out of this and I don’t want to continue for the next five years being in lockdowns 

• Like 15

4 hours ago, tring said:

It is the half empty ships that would make the summer cruises interesting to us as we tend to avoid most "entertainments" and try to find a nice quiet spot in an observation lounge or other quiet bar, with a view of the sea.  A guaranteed table for two sounds good as well.  Perhaps we are just anti-social 🙂

Actually we do like to talk to other passengers, but there is a difference between being able to have a conversation if we want with someone nearby and being forced to have someone thrust at us or having people around talk so loud that it cannot be ignored, especially being on a shared dining table with the same people every night - though we have at time really enjoyed the company of dining companions on some cruises.

Your our kind of people

• Like 8

On 3/3/2021 at 10:09 AM, Josy1953 said:

We have done 2 Round Britain cruises and I would recommend them to anyone who is not concerned about the restrictions that may be imposed on board.

Presumably your previous cruise had port stops.  Only one of the Iona cruises will put into Liverpool. The rest are coastal water sailings. 

10 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

No vaccine is 100% effective. Surely you're not going to worry about 7%?  It has a much higher efficacy than many other vaccines that we rely on, flu for example.

Avril

Against new variants the efficiency drops to around 85%.  This means for every hundred passengers 15 could be at risk.  Hopefully protected against serious illness but never the less will require quarantine should they become infected.  

53 minutes ago, seapals2 said:

Against new variants the efficiency drops to around 85%.  This means for every hundred passengers 15 could be at risk.  Hopefully protected against serious illness but never the less will require quarantine should they become infected.  

But when you're on a ship full of vaccinated people, you've also got to consider the overall protective effect too. The vaccine might not be 100% effective but you've still got to have someone to catch it off. And if the vaccine has prevented most of those people being able to catch covid or even just reduced their viral load, then those people who are still more susceptible are still unlikely to be able to get it (this is herd immunity!). Obviously more risk when you've got a larger number of unvaccinated people.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, seapals2 said:

Everyone will also need a clear test before boarding. No one will be getting on and off the ships and the initial cruises are short. All of which dramatically reduces the risk of Covid being brought and spread on board. With masks and distancing and hygiene measures I’m betting this is going to be on of the safest places to be in the summer! 

• Like 2

P&O are saying that a test may be required - the current information is very vague  at the moment in order to cover all eventualities.

Although I understand why they’d need people to be tested before boarding, the need to be tested to do a voluntary leisure activity is a red line for me, so one of the reasons why these new summer cruises don’t hold an appeal for me.

I’ve got 2 cruises carried forward to 2022, and hope the need for testing has disappeared by then, otherwise I might have to make some difficult decisions. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, seapals2 said:

If you, and all other vaccinated passengers boarding, are not infectious when you board, and the crew similarly will have been tested to prove they don't have the virus; just who is going to infect these 15% of passengers?

• Like 8

9 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

But when you're on a ship full of vaccinated people, you've also got to consider the overall protective effect too. The vaccine might not be 100% effective but you've still got to have someone to catch it off. And if the vaccine has prevented most of those people being able to catch covid or even just reduced their viral load, then those people who are still more susceptible are still unlikely to be able to get it (this is herd immunity!). Obviously more risk when you've got a larger number of unvaccinated people.

That could apply but the crew would need to be vaccinated, as yet I have heard that that is not the case

10 hours ago, seapals2 said:

Presumably your previous cruise had port stops.  Only one of the Iona cruises will put into Liverpool. The rest are coastal water sailings. 

I think it's Britannia that actually calls into Liverpool on her last advertised cruise?

12 minutes ago, fragilek said:

That could apply but the crew would need to be vaccinated, as yet I have heard that that is not the case

Not if the crew have previously been quarantined and subsequently tested negative.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Not if the crew have previously been quarantined and subsequently tested negative.

That won't really work if someone brings the virus onboard.  testing has inbuilt flaws for this.

PCR more accurate - but needs to be done days ahead thus there is a gap where virus could be picked up between test and boarding

LFT - could be done at boarding but not accurate enough to protect a ship 

4 minutes ago, fragilek said:

That won't really work if someone brings the virus onboard.  testing has inbuilt flaws for this.

PCR more accurate - but needs to be done days ahead thus there is a gap where virus could be picked up between test and boarding

LFT - could be done at boarding but not accurate enough to protect a ship 

I don't think anyone is giving a cast iron guarantee that covid won't find it's way on board. The same as there's no guarantee that it won't be at the table next to you in a pub or shopping next to you in Tesco. But all of the procedures in place reduce the risk as much as is possible. Then it's up to individuals to decide if that risk is acceptable to them. 

• Like 15

Just now, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I don't think anyone is giving a cast iron guarantee that covid won't find it's way on board. The same as there's no guarantee that it won't be at the table next to you in a pub or shopping next to you in Tesco. But all of the procedures in place reduce the risk as much as is possible. Then it's up to individuals to decide if that risk is acceptable to them. 

Agreed - I was just pointing out the heard immunity protection theory can't be applied to the ship until the crew are vaccinated. As it will get on board no matter what precautions are taken but if everyone including the crew were vaccinated this would be less of an issue than it has the potential to become with an unvaccinated crew.

1 minute ago, fragilek said:

Agreed - I was just pointing out the heard immunity protection theory can't be applied to the ship until the crew are vaccinated. As it will get on board no matter what precautions are taken but if everyone including the crew were vaccinated this would be less of an issue than it has the potential to become with an unvaccinated crew.

You don't need 100% vaccination to get to herd immunity. If the crew are not leaving the ship (which I've not seen mentioned but I'm guessing that'll be the case?) and all guests are vaccinated, the risk will be small. 

• Like 2