Cruise lines requiring COVID-19 vaccination

17 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Oops yes they are Taiwanese.  I meant understanding the Chinese language. I fly to Europe via Taiwan on Taiwanese Airline, EVA Air.  

Not heard much about them, so you have to fly to Taiwan with who? to connect with EVA Air to Europe.

50 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The other Taiwanese airline, China Airlines, flies out of Sydney. We were booked to go to Europe with them last year but, of course, it was cancelled. They refunded our fare very promptly.

China Airlines is Taiwanese? Sounds strange, Julie.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The other Taiwanese airline, China Airlines, flies out of Sydney. We were booked to go to Europe with them last year but, of course, it was cancelled. They refunded our fare very promptly.

We flew with China Eastern Airline  a few years ago and where impressed with them. 

• Like 1

We had our first Covid (AZ) jab 2 weeks ago.  I had a bit of a sore arm for a couple of days, husband had a few days of sore arm and flu-like symptoms.  Now we hope to have the normal annual flu and pneumonia jabs this coming week.  

I would love to cruise again, preferably around Aus - Fremantle to Fremantle would be lovely! But husband has totally lost interest in overseas travel and any form of long-haul flights.  Ah, well, perhaps he will come good later this year....

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Yes, that's what I thought too. But they are a Taiwanese airline. Perhaps they called it that to get up the nose of China!I 🤣

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

24 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, that's what I thought too. But they are a Taiwanese airline. Perhaps they called it that to get up the nose of China!I 🤣

Taiwan’s official name is the Republic of China. Whereas the other China is the People’s Republic of China.  

Leigh

12 hours ago, TSmith48 said:

We had our first Covid (AZ) jab 2 weeks ago.  I had a bit of a sore arm for a couple of days, husband had a few days of sore arm and flu-like symptoms.  Now we hope to have the normal annual flu and pneumonia jabs this coming week.  

I would love to cruise again, preferably around Aus - Fremantle to Fremantle would be lovely! But husband has totally lost interest in overseas travel and any form of long-haul flights.  Ah, well, perhaps he will come good later this year....

Maybe long haul airlines will need to take out a few rows of seats to make travel more bearable for economy class passengers.  As I aged, I only continued my annual trips to Europe or UK or USA because I was able to fly business class.  BTW Business class on secondary airlines is not much more expensive than full price economy on Qantas.  Well worth the expense for flat beds and lounge useage.  

• Like 3

On 4/9/2021 at 4:40 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

NZ is very lucky to have Jacinda as PM at this time.

On 4/9/2021 at 6:16 PM, MMDown Under said:

I agree NZ is very fortunate to have Jacinda as PM.  

On 4/10/2021 at 11:09 AM, MMDown Under said:

Many Aussies, myself included, would love to pinch your NZ PM, 

I realise that the narrative on Ms Adern is that she is akin to Florence Nightingale or Mary McKillop & should be have already been made a saint, but in terms of the COVID-19 response just what has she done that is so very different to leaders in other countries that have also done well in terms of COVID response?

24 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Maybe long haul airlines will need to take out a few rows of seats to make travel more bearable for economy class passengers.  As I aged, I only continued my annual trips to Europe or UK or USA because I was able to fly business class.  BTW Business class on secondary airlines is not much more expensive than full price economy on Qantas.  Well worth the expense for flat beds and lounge useage.  

Yes for first time we booked premium economy for overseas trip. We will probably forgo overseas travel as hubby in 80s although would still like to see Paris. 

18 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I realise that the narrative on Ms Adern is that she is akin to Florence Nightingale or Mary McKillop & should be have already been made a saint, but in terms of the COVID-19 response just what has she done that is so very different to leaders in other countries that have also done well in terms of COVID response?

She moved fast to close her country down.  No takeaway even.  She was rewarded for her bravery.

Compare NZ to say the response in the US, with their number of dead from the virus  US Now moving in to their 4th wave.  She is not a saint, but is trustworthy and empathetic.  Can explain the situation in plain language and convince people to follow her.  A true leader!  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, mr walker said:

From the wet coast of the Great White North the view is obscured by distance. From here she was able to get her people on board. I come from a place where I have been able to observe real leaders, some come by it naturally they have a way of telling you to "go to h**l" and say it in such a way that you think you will enjoy the trip. From the start she said this would be a s**t storm and we all need to pull on our wellies and oilskins to keep from getting splattered. She then made the rules and made it clear that failure to follow them was not in anyone's best interest. To the credit of the majority of Kiwis they signed on to the plan and did the hard work necessary to make it so. Meanwhile in Canada we had a very large large country to the south of us driving a false narrative which skewed our response, many people decided that was a good path to follow. Our PM tried and in the beginning he did a decent job and then it hit the fan in earnest and out Provincial and Territorial Governments all had a better idea and we are where we are. I think you can count on one hand the number of countries who have had anything close to the success of New Zealand up to this point. So far top marks for keeping the virus out but starting to slide for the vaccine roll out (not pointing fingers because we in Canada certainly aren't making a world class job of it ourselves)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

I think it is because she has done as well as those other countries that we tend to praise her. Being Australia it isn't a surprise that we focus on NZ's success a neighbour of ours rather than distant countries like Rwanda and Uruguay. At the end of the day the countries that kept Covid out and life normal are very few. Most are tiny little island nations like Fiji or autocratic dictatorships like Vietnam so NZ's success is really an anomaly that does deserve the praise they receive. 

• Like 1

Also because she has been decisive yet compassionate and empathetic. Her decisions are consistent and acknowledge the difficulties but she makes it very clear that all of NZ has to pull together to combat the virus. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Also because she has been decisive yet compassionate and empathetic. Her decisions are consistent and acknowledge the difficulties but she makes it very clear that all of NZ has to pull together to combat the virus. 

PM Adern has been pretty forceful in recent days, suspending flight arrivals with Kiwis on board from India.  Some would argue that decision is inhumane, but others would argue it is necessary to protect NZ. I am 50/50.

Edited by NSWP

43 minutes ago, NSWP said:

PM Adern has been pretty forceful in recent days, suspending flight arrivals with Kiwis on board from India.  Some would argue that decision is inhumane, but others would argue it is necessary to protect NZ. I am 50/50.

I think it's more a capacity issue - hospital facilities and/or the quarantine facilities for those who have contracted the virus but don't need hospitalisation. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think it's more a capacity issue - hospital facilities and/or the quarantine facilities for those who have contracted the virus but don't need hospitalisation. 

Yep. Too many positive cases coming in. The hospitals are overflowing in India so I'm guessing infected dual citizens, who would have otherwise stayed, are returning .

This isn’t great news for travel 🤔

Fullscreen

“You might soon require a digital vaccination passport that allows people who have been vaccinated against COVID-19 to travel, and more.

“Australians hoping for the full return of overseas travel will have to wait another three years for things to get back to normal, according to a pessimistic new forecast by economists.

Deloitte Access Economics’ latest quarterly business outlook predicts international travel won’t fully return until 2024, as international borders open slowly until then.

On top of that, Deloitte said quarantine for arrivals would likely remain in some form for years, as efforts continue to stop the virus being imported back into the country.

Deloitte economist Chris Richardson said that would have a bearing on overseas travel getting back to what it was pre-COVID.

“That keeps international travel – both inbound and outbound – pretty weak in 2022, and it may not return to pre-pandemic levels until 2024,” he said, according to 7 News.

Deloitte’s quarterly forecast was prepared prior to Australia’s national vaccine rollout hitting a setback last week, which could further dampen expectations about the return of overseas travel.

Source: News.com.au

Edited by Porky55

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Next move by NZ will be to send their covid cases over to big brother, us, it will happen.

On 4/12/2021 at 10:08 AM, MMDown Under said:

She moved fast to close her country down.  No takeaway even.  She was rewarded for her bravery.

Compare NZ to say the response in the US, with their number of dead from the virus  US Now moving in to their 4th wave.  She is not a saint, but is trustworthy and empathetic.  Can explain the situation in plain language and convince people to follow her.  A true leader!  

Using the US as the comparison is of little use - there are a lot of countries that have done better than there.

I find it interesting that people perceive that the NZ approach is so much better than here - maybe it is just the messenger. I recognise that the actions with the pandemic are a balance between health & economic considerations, and just where the balance lies will differ. 

25 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Using the US as the comparison is of little use - there are a lot of countries that have done better than there.

I find it interesting that people perceive that the NZ approach is so much better than here - maybe it is just the messenger. I recognise that the actions with the pandemic are a balance between health & economic considerations, and just where the balance lies will differ. 

I have close friends in UK and USA, so understand the situation in both those countries.  I do not have the same level of knowledge on other countries.  Hence the comparison between the leadership situation managing the pandemic in NZ and USA.