Key West rules may be overridden

Tom47

12 hours ago, dswallow said:

People are always ready to blame all their ills on something they don't personally care about. Banning cruise ships will not fix Key West. They're just cutting off one of a couple limbs think the rest are enough for their needs. One day they'll discover that it was still a loss.

If the complaint is that people didn't get off the ships and spend money, well that seems to be what Key West wants now, anyway -- not to have the cruise ship visitor step into town at all.

Want cruise ship visitors to spend more money, give them things they want to do.

Worried about stirring up sediment? Don't ban the cruise ships, but have them fix whatever is needed to be fixed so sediment isn't stirred up and causing whatever problems it does. Heck, they could even negotiate with the cruise lines for infrastructure improvements at the dock and surrounding areas; just look around the Caribbean at all the new projects getting underway in partnership with cruise lines.

Anyway, there's plenty of other places to visit. Key West doesn't want cruise ships? I can do without Key West. Same with Venice. Plenty of places actually want my business as a tourist visiting on a cruise ship. I'd certainly rather not spend money where I'm not really wanted.

If they don't want cruise ships, why would they spend big bucks to let them dock? If it's a sediment thing, how do you fix that? Surely not cheaply. Accept the fact and go elsewhere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Actually that's not true for all. Out of Galveston without key west there will be no routes to coco cay because there isnt a 3rd port ships can get to. ..there arent plenty of other close by ports to stop at instead. 

Cancun's closer to Galveston than Key West, though it does leave a bit more distance to The Bahamas from there than from Key West, even allowing for the shorter distance to Cancun. The could go to Miami, or even Nassau, though. 🙂

But apparently according to Key West, cruisers only buy cheap t-shirts there, so the cruise line could just have a Key West themed evening onboard and time it with one of the t-shirt sales!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Cancun's closer to Galveston than Key West, though it does leave a bit more distance to The Bahamas from there than from Key West, even allowing for the shorter distance to Cancun. The could go to Miami, or even Nassau, though. 🙂

But apparently according to Key West, cruisers only buy cheap t-shirts there, so the cruise line could just have a Key West themed evening onboard and time it with one of the t-shirt sales!

Cancun or Cozumel would be fine with us and have more to see and do than a day in KW.

14 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Right nassau and coco cay and key west, ...I've never heard of miami as a cruise stop. So far there are no more cruises to coco cay out of Galveston.  Are you sure you mean Cancun?  

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Right nassau and coco cay and key west, ...I've never heard of miami as a cruise stop. So far there are no more cruises to coco cay out of Galveston.  Are you sure you mean Cancun?  

Excursions from Cozumel to Cancun. Just a ferry ride away..

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Miami's been used at times when weather prevents some other Island stops. Port Canaveral is a regular stop for several sailings on Royal Caribbean so I don't see any legal reason Miami or Ft. Lauderdale couldn't also be a stop.

These are straight-line distances, so would vary of course:

Galveston to Cancun: 653nm

Cancun to Key West: 332nm

Galveston to Key West: 735nm

Key West to Miami: 132nm

Galveston to Havana: 774nm

Havana to CoCo Cay: 279nm

Miami to CoCo Cay: 123nm

Key West to CoCo Cay: 235nm

image.thumb.png.ad9295dbbdbf291ffcc9db404efee592.png

6 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Miami's been used at times when weather prevents some other Island stops. Port Canaveral is a regular stop for several sailings on Royal Caribbean so I don't see any legal reason Miami or Ft. Lauderdale couldn't also be a stop.

These are straight-line distances, so would vary of course:

Galveston to Cancun: 653nm

Cancun to Key West: 332nm

Galveston to Key West: 735nm

Key West to Miami: 132nm

Galveston to Havana: 774nm

Havana to CoCo Cay: 279nm

Miami to CoCo Cay: 123nm

Key West to CoCo Cay: 235nm

image.thumb.png.ad9295dbbdbf291ffcc9db404efee592.png

It's not a matter if its legal, idk if miami was a stop people would want to go there. The problem again is there are 2 stops left of the normal itinerary the 3rd being key west. It's not a matter of a emergency, they could just do coco cay and nassau and be legal, the problem is there is no regular 3rd stop and the normal route is gone for now. Miami is already quite busy, so I cant see it being a normal cruise stop. Doesnt make sense sorry. Ourusualbeach beach posted, forgetaboutit lol, he thinks coco cay just wouldnt be a option out of Galveston and I believe him. 

1 minute ago, Big_G said:

If Key West is off the cruise list then we'll just have to add it to our land list. One of our favorite stops.

Before the empty nest came into effect Key West was fun with the kids for a few hours.. 

Cozumel now offer more for us, like days at some of the all inclusive Playas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I was on a carnival cruise (one time only) and we stopped at Miami.  4 of us went to a delightful botanical garden.  I don't want to cruise Carnival again but I'd love to go to Miami again.

Edited by elsie3939

3 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I think they could handle a couple of tenders.  I can only imagine the amount of sand stirred up by a tender full of people trying to snorkel around the tiny beach.  

Wouldn't a storm do the same kind of stirring or not? I'm woefully uninformed ref these issues.

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

It's not a matter if its legal, idk if miami was a stop people would want to go there. The problem again is there are 2 stops left of the normal itinerary the 3rd being key west. It's not a matter of a emergency, they could just do coco cay and nassau and be legal, the problem is there is no regular 3rd stop and the normal route is gone for now. Miami is already quite busy, so I cant see it being a normal cruise stop. Doesnt make sense sorry. Ourusualbeach beach posted, forgetaboutit lol, he thinks coco cay just wouldnt be a option out of Galveston and I believe him. 

FWIW,  I've been on 2 Royal cruises that made a port stop in Miami,  Both were on cruises out of the Northeast.  Somewhat ironically, both also stopped in Key West.

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Etta1213 said:

Wouldn't a storm do the same kind of stirring or not? I'm woefully uninformed ref these issues.

Sure much more.  But would you want to snorkel if all you could see was sand floating around and not see any pretty fishes?

The entire island is probably several hundred yards long and wide.  The fort covers most of it other than the courtyard inside the fort.  It is a lovely spot, I am glad I visited it 20+ years ago, but a cruise ship stop...

that would be insane.

jc

1 hour ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

FWIW,  I've been on 2 Royal cruises that made a port stop in Miami,  Both were on cruises out of the Northeast.  Somewhat ironically, both also stopped in Key West.

Tom

I was going to say this.  (about stopping in Miami on a cruise from the NE)

About Cancun:  when we were unable to port in Costa Maya (hurricane damage), we stopped in Playa Del Carmen - an hour south of Cancun.

• 4 weeks later...