Medallion App Updated and Working Now

HBCcruiser

3 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks for all of the information that you’re providing to help everyone. 🙂

Thanks. I can't take all of the credit - It is a group effort as we all experience it. 

Here's to cruising soon! 

• Like 2

A deviation...I received my medallion order confirmation (will be mailed just before cruise).  A relief that I won't misplace it before then.  

Looked at ordering a sports band.  Cost + $6 shipping.  Guess I will purchase it onboard with OBC.  I love pink, but it seems so bright.  Also like purple.  I'm sure they will have many items for sale onboard the ship.

Do you use the medallion for multiple cruises (it lists all of mine)?

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You’ll receive a new Medallion for each initial embarkation. If sailing multiple consecutive cruises you will only receive one Medallion.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I couldn't even find it in the Play Store.

In the Google play store, I typed in princess medallion in the search box and the Medallion Class app showed up.  See if you can find that.  Also, I believe the Princess website has a link for the Medallion Class app for both the Apple and Google stores.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I couldn't even find it in the Play Store.

From my experience it will not come up in the Play Store if your phone (or whatever device you use) cannot use it. I tried for my phone and now that the new App is out, I can't see it on the Play Store either but it is there for my tablet which has a later Android version. 

I checked the Samsung site and it lists all their phone models and what version of Android is the latest for each one. Like you, my phone has the latest version. Seems like by updating the App, Princess have reduced the number of people that can use it.

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

In the Google play store, I typed in princess medallion in the search box and the Medallion Class app showed up.  See if you can find that.  Also, I believe the Princess website has a link for the Medallion Class app for both the Apple and Google stores.

4 minutes ago, leck57 said:

From my experience it will not come up in the Play Store if your phone (or whatever device you use) cannot use it. I tried for my phone and now that the new App is out, I can't see it on the Play Store either but it is there for my tablet which has a later Android version. 

I checked the Samsung site and it lists all their phone models and what version of Android is the latest for each one. Like you, my phone has the latest version. Seems like by updating the App, Princess have reduced the number of people that can use it.

Thanks, guys. Finally, the mystery is explained. I tried a Google search for "MedallionClass" and it popped up...only to tell me that I can't use it with this phone. Guess it's time to go shopping before our next cruise (Jan. '22).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Thanks, guys. Finally, the mystery is explained. I tried a Google search for "MedallionClass" and it popped up...only to tell me that I can't use it with this phone. Guess it's time to go shopping before our next cruise (Jan. '22).

Me too. I usually stay away from expensive mobile phones as my record of breaking them is quite high. I have a lot of Samsung stuff and I sync the lot together. Just found the Samsung Galaxy A21 is pretty cheap and runs Android 10 so that will do me.

We bought our Samsung Galaxy A51 just last year after having a much older version of the brand.  The app works but just not sure when we will be able to use it --- can't seem to get any of our cruises off the ground --- so far, 6 cancelled and awaiting word on another one. 

15 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

6 cancelled and awaiting word on another one. 

I am with you. I keep checking the website because I  am 99% sure that our July cruise will be cancelled. Luckily I booked one of the RCI cruises going out of the Nassau Bahamas in July. That one should sail no problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leck57 said:

I have the latest version of Android. I have the Medallion Class app. It's available.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=princess medallion class app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carnival.gxi.ocean.compass.OceanCompass

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

I know that.

I think you misunderstood (or I wasn't clear) that the App will not show in the PlayStore if your device isn't compatible with the latest version. I have used the App on Medallion cruises before, including to check in, but like @JF - retired RRTI cannot access and use the new App version as my phone has an older Android version.

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

A deviation...I received my medallion order confirmation (will be mailed just before cruise).  A relief that I won't misplace it before then.  

Looked at ordering a sports band.  Cost + $6 shipping.  Guess I will purchase it onboard with OBC.  I love pink, but it seems so bright.  Also like purple.  I'm sure they will have many items for sale onboard the ship.

Just an FYI on the sports bands (unless they've improved them)- the Medallions are not very secure in them. We witnessed a kid loose his Medallion, but pointed it out before he left the area, and a gentleman on our snorkeling trip in the Caymans lost his while we were snorkeling.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You only use the Medallion for the one cruise. A new one each time. They are also coloured to what tier your loyalty is so if you do a few cruises they will be coloured gold, ruby, platinum etc.

In relation to the sports band, I used one and liked it as I hate lanyards. The Medallion and band have magnets in them so you just need to make sure the magnet polarity line up and I found it locks it in well. That said, I didn't put any real pressure on it. It's not hard to get a new one if it gets lost.

Edited by leck57
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I would look at Amazon. I found the Princess site too expensive plus you can always return to Amazon if it’s not what you want. 

Tom😀

44 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I would look at Amazon. I found the Princess site too expensive plus you can always return to Amazon if it’s not what you want. 

Tom😀

That has been suggested to me, but I do not have Prime and would have to pay for shipping (yes, in that minority group).  I would like to "see" all of my options.  Plus I have OBC to spend on "something".  But thanks.  I'm interested in what others have used besides the free lanyard.

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

That has been suggested to me, but I do not have Prime and would have to pay for shipping (yes, in that minority group).  I would like to "see" all of my options.  Plus I have OBC to spend on "something".  But thanks.  I'm interested in what others have used besides the free lanyard.

I agree.

I'm not sure why it is necessary to look at other options when my Princess wrist band on board cost all of $12. Even that "extravagance" will not chew in to your OBC much.

• Like 1

There are problems if you live in the UK (as I have posted in the main Medallion thread.

Postage is added on even if you select pickup from port (which we have to do as Princess don't seem to be able to master the UK postal service).

In my opinion this is an app written and tested by the same person. I used to work in IT and know you give an app like this to the dumbest person you can find to test it, if it works then you're good to go.

P.S. I have contacted Princess about the problem and they know they have issues with the app.

20 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I tried "MedallionClass". Maybe it's just not available for Android yet.

Looks like I won't be able to use it anyway. As @leck57 stated, it apparently needs Android 8. My phone is a 7 and my tablet is a 6 and both state that I have the "latest" Android version. Oh well.😭

Yeah, saying 'latest' is a bit of misinformation. You have the 'latest' version of Android that is certified for that device. Generally a device will never get an upgrade on the major version number. Quite often a lot of changes are introduced with each major version upgrade and the various hardware vendors don't want to take the time and $$$ to go through all the hassle of testing it on older devices. They prefer that you get 'forced' into buying a new device, if you want the new features.

Officially all releases prior to 8.1 are no longer even supported. 

25 minutes ago, drowelf said:

Yeah, saying 'latest' is a bit of misinformation. You have the 'latest' version of Android that is certified for that device. Generally a device will never get an upgrade on the major version number. Quite often a lot of changes are introduced with each major version upgrade and the various hardware vendors don't want to take the time and $$$ to go through all the hassle of testing it on older devices. They prefer that you get 'forced' into buying a new device, if you want the new features.

Officially all releases prior to 8.1 are no longer even supported. 

Good to know. Thanks.

8 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

In my opinion this is an app written and tested by the same person. I used to work in IT and know you give an app like this to the dumbest person you can find to test it, if it works then you're good to go.

This made me laugh. While my wife is actually quite intelligent I used to have her "test" things when I was in beginning programming classes. I'd make things work great and then ask her to check it out. She would do something bizarre like press several random keys at the same time in rapid sequence and, of course since I was a beginning programmer, the thing broke. It was a good learning experience for me. A well programmed app has to take into account people doing things that seem utterly bizarre because, somewhere, at some time, someone will do those bizarre things. Asking, "Why in the world would anybody ever do that?" is of not use. You have to program for weirdness. It's also unfortunate the programming folks get "tunnel vision" and don't seem to see how different parts of an app that work great as a piece can fail to work together as a whole.

Note: I would have been an absolutely horrible programmer.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, leck57 said:

I'm perfectly happy with my smart phone, and WILL NOT be buying a new one just to make one app work.

My anti virus kicks in and will not allow me to progress through the app. Also there is a cruise listed that I never booked. Contacted Princess months ago. They have been contacting me monthly since then advising that app was being upgraded and that it would fix the issue  Back to the drawing board Princess.

23 hours ago, leck57 said:

Hum, thats not my experience. I downloaded an app from the Play Store just yesterday, but when I went to open it, I was told that it was written for Android 8 and would not execute on my S20 (Android 11). It told me to contact the developer to see when an Android 11 version of the app would be available.