Advice needed for fussy kids and NYE cruises

Dons79

Hi

does anyone know what is on the kids menus? I have fussy eaters...

were thinking of the NYE cruise ..  is there anything different happening on these cruises 

Are the 1c balcony room squishy for 4 ppl? 

31 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

Hi

were thinking of the NYE cruise ..  is there anything different happening on these cruises 

We did a nye cruise 2018/19 on Brilliance with our granddaughter.   She was not quite 6.  They gave her a children's menu.  Could order from that or regular menu.. This was not her 1st cruise.  The staff was really great getting her whatever she wanted.  

It's a cruise ton's of food everywhere MDR .

Chicken noodle soup, fruit salad, veg crudites, burgers/ cheese frys, pepperoni pizza/plain ,chicken fingers frys, grilled chicken/minute steak ,mash frys, steem veg ,spag bol ,cheese sang grilled, icesream, apple pie, and something the naughty adults get is banana split. 😇

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dons79 said:

Hi

If they are fussy eaters are they fussy about their space? Some kids can be fussy about a lot of things. If so then you would definitely need a bigger cabin. Either way a 1c is to small for 4 people imo.

8 hours ago, Dons79 said:

Hi

1.) they have to eat eventually.  sorry

2.) yes, very squishy

• Like 1

Standard kids options on kids menu.    Burgers, chicken nuggets, pasta etc.  I don't have a menu, but it should  be easy to find on line.  It it the same every night.  Children can order from the  kids menu and/or the regular menu.     Staff will go over and beyond to accommodate children.  

As for NYE - they have a special menu , and  festive parties  at midnight.  It is a formal night regardless of when  NYE falls.  We boarded on Dec 31 and still had formal night on the  first night of the cruise.  It is a fun cruise and generally includes lots of families and international passengers.   We've done several NYE crusie on RCCL and Celebrity.  In the past, the NYE celebration has been PACKED with people.   A packed promenade or centrum.  I don't know when you are expecting to cruise, ship capacity and how crowds will be handled in the near future. And, some  public areas are closed off as  RCCL sells premium seating/viewing  tables.

Don't know the ages of your children.  If they are young - you will be fine.  We  sailed YEARS ago when our children were younger and  all 4 of us shared a standard OV Cabin.    It was so long ago that there were no balconies on the ship.   Depending on the  ship, you may also be able  to  use the gym/spa for showering.  

Have fun

• Like 1

my kid has never cared about the kid's menu on cruises, even though at home he gets regular fast food kid's meals. Mostly chicken fingers and fries, or an occasional burger or sandwich.

On cruises, when he was old enough to understand and pick his own foods, we've implemented a rule - he can eat whatever he wants for breakfast and lunch, as long as he eats what I order for him during dinner. He doesn't do kid's club, so he spends every minute of his cruise with us, which by default includes meal time. There is PLENTY to choose from at the buffet for even the fussiest kid to eat. DS usually defaults to anything with bacon or pastries for breakfast. Lunches are usually sandwiches and fries. He also really loved RC's pizza at Sorrentos. Like - really-really. DS also liked to try different quesadillas at the Central Park Cafe. I think different ships have a promenade cafe with cold and hot sandwiches that kids like.

And for his dinner I usually order a fruit salad and something like a pasta with steamed veggies.

Sometimes I'll order something off of the adult menu that I think he might like a bite of, and sometimes he does, and sometimes he doesn't. Appetizers are usually more child friendly - like spring rolls.

One year we tried a kid's menu on non-RCI ship (Caribbean princess) and it was just inedible. I didn't believe the kiddo, thinking he was just being fussy, but it truly was inedible. Every day we tried something different... Our waitress, however, was an angel.

If you have the same waiter all week (which you can do, even in MTD) they will keep your kids eating. 

A cruise is also a low risk time for your kids to try some new things.  We talked it up with my son before his first cruise (at 11) and he tried quite a few things while still ordering from the kids menu.  There is also Windjammer and Sorrento's as options if they don't eat enough during your regular dinner.

One idea is to feed them early at one of the above and them check them into Adventure Ocean so that you can enjoy a nice relaxing meal in the MDR or one of the specialty dining restaurants.

We did about what "Itchey" did with my granddaughter.  She could eat what she wanted at breakfast and lunch but dinner was family time.  We go to specialty restaurants (Star Class and they are included)  and she ordered off the menu.  Wonderland was different but we have always said you need to try at least a bite of everything served just in case you find something you really like.  Although she loved Adventure Ocean she was with us evenings for shows and dinner.  Last couple years food was a little harder because of braces but now that they are off and we are looking at Nov. on Anthem she is excited about trying things she had a hard time eating with braces.  She was 9 when we started cruising again.  We want her to enjoy herself and find possible week long friends but it is also a family vacation.  The next cruises she will be at the Chef's Table with us because it will be a fun experience for her.

• Like 1

You folks are generous, my parents didn't relent to bringing me on a cruise until I was 41.

I at least give you credit for asking about this in advance and not simply rolling the dice.  You're already on the road to success there.  Best of luck.

5 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

my kid has never cared about the kid's menu on cruises, even though at home he gets regular fast food kid's meals. Mostly chicken fingers and fries, or an occasional burger or sandwich.

On cruises, when he was old enough to understand and pick his own foods, we've implemented a rule - he can eat whatever he wants for breakfast and lunch, as long as he eats what I order for him during dinner. He doesn't do kid's club, so he spends every minute of his cruise with us, which by default includes meal time. There is PLENTY to choose from at the buffet for even the fussiest kid to eat. DS usually defaults to anything with bacon or pastries for breakfast. Lunches are usually sandwiches and fries. He also really loved RC's pizza at Sorrentos. Like - really-really. DS also liked to try different quesadillas at the Central Park Cafe. I think different ships have a promenade cafe with cold and hot sandwiches that kids like.

And for his dinner I usually order a fruit salad and something like a pasta with steamed veggies.

Sometimes I'll order something off of the adult menu that I think he might like a bite of, and sometimes he does, and sometimes he doesn't. Appetizers are usually more child friendly - like spring rolls.

One year we tried a kid's menu on non-RCI ship (Caribbean princess) and it was just inedible. I didn't believe the kiddo, thinking he was just being fussy, but it truly was inedible. Every day we tried something different... Our waitress, however, was an angel.

That's called good parenting...excellent work.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

As someone said earlier, the waiters do a great job helping the kids get something they like to eat. 

On our first cruise we traveled with 4 to a room. It's a pretty tight fit - even the closets are a problem with 4 people. I recommend 2 connecting cabins. You can keep the door open to watch the kids.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

The next cruises she will be at the Chef's Table with us because it will be a fun experience for her.

We would never take a 9 year old to a wine paring dinner , what will be special when 18/21 ?.Her friends in the teen club would be special to her and they grow up to quick. Those days are priceless and you can't get them back . 😇

• Like 1

When my kids could read, they picked from the menu, and that was that.  They were so happy they can eat from the same menu as us that they ate some shocking items.  In hindsight, it was a mistake because after the cruise, my 7 year old wanted to always eat off an regular menu.  LOL.  Room size is irrelevant on a cruise.  It's a ship, so you sleep, and that's it. 

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Room size is irrelevant on a cruise.  It's a ship, so you sleep, and that's it. 

it is relevant at times, especially if you have to get up to use a restroom at night. On our last RCI cruise we were assigned an inside cabin with a sleeper sofa for the kiddo, and when the sleeper sofa was open for the night, I literally couldn't go to the bathroom because it seemed like it was wall-to-desk.

We had to leave the sleeper sofa unopened and, thankfully, the kid still fit on it at the time. However, he fell off a couple of times, even with chairs moved up to form a barrier.

He loves Pullman beds, though, and has used them since he was 4. 

Also, if you have a couple of teens or preteens who just happen to be adult sized or close to it, a regular inside cabin will quickly become very small.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

There is a normal kids menu, plus they can order off of the regular menu.  My now 16 year old is picky about certain things, and always found something to eat or try,  a cruise is a good place to try things,  he had a salad every night.  

A balcony is fine for 4 people depending on the ages of the kids.  When they were younger it was fine, but as they got older, it gets harder.  On our next cruise kids will be 17 and 13 and we are doing two cabins, boy/girl.  One inside and one veranda.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it is relevant at times, especially if you have to get up to use a restroom at night. On our last RCI cruise we were assigned an inside cabin with a sleeper sofa for the kiddo, and when the sleeper sofa was open for the night, I literally couldn't go to the bathroom because it seemed like it was wall-to-desk.

We had to leave the sleeper sofa unopened and, thankfully, the kid still fit on it at the time. However, he fell off a couple of times, even with chairs moved up to form a barrier.

He loves Pullman beds, though, and has used them since he was 4. 

Also, if you have a couple of teens or preteens who just happen to be adult sized or close to it, a regular inside cabin will quickly become very small.

Amen to that.  When we started cruising our kids were 10 and 6, it was fine.  Our last cruise kids were 15 and 11 and the 11 year old is the same size as a small adult.  So tight.  We are doing two cabins the next cruise.  Plus we have one boy and one girl and they need privacy, so we will sleep boy/girl.

• Like 1