Florida cruises

LHT28

IMHO, the "ban" will not be a problem. All it takes is one port stop to ask for vaccination proof and the cruiser will have to comply or stay on board, or not even be allowed to board. Cruise lines have the out of it being out of their control.

26 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

IMHO, the "ban" will not be a problem. All it takes is one port stop to ask for vaccination proof and the cruiser will have to comply or stay on board, or not even be allowed to board. Cruise lines have the out of it being out of their control.

So far  I have only seen that Florida cannot ask  

but maybe Federal law will overrule  that

20 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Those tests are mandatory for anyone - citizens of USA or otherwise - entering the USA.  I believe it is CDC's command.  And thank you for your kind words; now if only he would listen to a voice of reason!

The tests are mandatory only for entrance into the US by air. This does not apply to land border entry or cruise ship entry.

From CDC web site:

If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get tested no more than 3 days before you travel by air into the United States (US) and show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight, or be prepared to show documentation of recovery (proof of a recent positive viral test and a letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

Does this Order apply to land border crossings?

No, the requirements of this Order only apply to air travel into the US.

20 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Hi Donna

I sent a letter directly to the governor, as well. Except for the canned thank you citizen note, I have not had an answer from his office…. Maybe he will understand the harm he is causing. 
I agree with you… regarding HIPPA.. 

I do not think his principles regarding privacy should trump my rights to travel on a ship with fully vaccinated folks!

Lets keep fighting this…

sheila

He seams pretty hard headed and refuses to admit he was wrong I think.  Just have to continue fighting this for all our good. 

3 hours ago, RJB said:

He seams pretty hard headed and refuses to admit he was wrong I think.  Just have to continue fighting this for all our good. 

Your tax dollars at work 😄

5 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

not even that.  Just find a place where Florida does not have jurisdiction to check.  Like on board the ship -- since the ships are Marshall Island flagged.

But the whole point of the Governors lawsuit is the fact that does the CDC have the right to dictate vaccine requirements to the industry.  If he loses, and he will, then the federal agency rules will "trump" Florida law.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 5:36 PM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Hi Donna

I sent a letter directly to the governor, as well. Except for the canned thank you citizen note, I have not had an answer from his office…. Maybe he will understand the harm he is causing. 
I agree with you… regarding HIPPA.. 

I do not think his principles regarding privacy should trump my rights to travel on a ship with fully vaccinated folks!

Lets keep fighting this…

sheila

Hi, Sheila, glad to hear you also wrote to him.  I still haven't gotten a true response from his office other than the canned answer you received.  In the meantime, I took it upon myself to voluntarily forward my CDC card information to O and asked them to attach the info to my reservation for January 14, 2022 on the Riviera.  This way O won't have to request 'vaccine passports'.

Donna 

On 5/21/2021 at 1:40 PM, susiesan said:

The tests are mandatory only for entrance into the US by air. This does not apply to land border entry or cruise ship entry.

From CDC web site:

If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get tested no more than 3 days before you travel by air into the United States (US) and show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight, or be prepared to show documentation of recovery (proof of a recent positive viral test and a letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

Does this Order apply to land border crossings?

No, the requirements of this Order only apply to air travel into the US.

Hi, susiesan, I specifically mentioned airlines in my post, not intending to include any other method of crossing the border by either land or sea.

Donna

On 5/26/2021 at 7:42 PM, Tranquility Base said:

CDC has approved Celebrity Edge to sail a 7 night Caribbean cruise on a revenue  basis.

Departure from Fort Lauderdale on 26 June.

Source: Miami Herald.

Yes but DeSantis specifically mentioned Celebrity that they cannot ask if people are vaccinated and Lisa Lutoff Perlo President of Celebrity  Celebrity like NCL has said all have to be vaccinated that puts Celebrity in a lousy position for a June sailing..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
spelling

Is there anything to stop cruise lines from working, either openly or behind the scene, with ports to have the ports issue a requirement that any passenger arriving in their waters be fully vaccinated? 

If ports on the voyage required proof just like some do for yellow fever then that would overrule any rule at the embarkation port.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading the Celebrity forum, it appears they are going ahead with their Florida cruises.

Minimum of 95% will be vaccinated.

Those without vaccination proof will be required to undertake user pays testing, wear masks whilst onboard, and may be denied permission to leave the ship in ports.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As of today, NCL is still fighting with Florida on this issue with their lawyers. Frank Del Rio said they will just sail from other ports if this sticks in Florida.  To quote:  "Cruise ships have motors and rudders and can move."  Thanks to Frank Del Rio for fighting this fight.  I will NEVER sail on a ship that doesn't require vaccinations.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wannaberetired said:

As of today, NCL is still fighting with Florida on this issue with their lawyers. Frank Del Rio said they will just sail from other ports if this sticks in Florida.  To quote:  "Cruise ships have motors and rudders and can move."  Thanks to Frank Del Rio for fighting this fight.  I will NEVER sail on a ship that doesn't require vaccinations.  

+ 1

• Like 1

I am so sorry to report that Texas has now gone down the same black hole as Florida. Governor Abbot will not allow cruise lines to check vaccine status. Oh well, there aren’t any cruises I like that visit Galveston.

My cruise is March 2022 so no air arrangements or hotels pre-cruise - has Oceania provided air arrangements for earlier cruises out of Florida?

I would welcome Oceania pulling out of Florida and establishing Jamaica or some other Caribbean island as a base - a week pre-cruise would suit me.

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

My cruise is March 2022 so no air arrangements or hotels pre-cruise - has Oceania provided air arrangements for earlier cruises out of Florida?

Yes they have pre cruise hotel package   looks like  they are using  Miami East in Brickell   @ $519 PP

I think you already asked this in another thread

We usually fly in a day earlier   & try for Bus class   so we usually just book our own air/hotel

YMMV

Yes I am aware of the hotel and the hotel price but I was wondering if Oceania was holding up actual air arrangements and hotel arrangements until they had a resolution to the Florida dispute. It is notable that the post-cruise hotels are listed for Venice but not the pre-cruise hotels for Miami. Is this to allow easy flexibility to change the embarkation port (state) (a country).

or are you saying that the pre-cruise hotel IS showing on your account?

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

or are you saying that the pre-cruise hotel IS showing on your account?

I looked at the Dec  cruises out of Miami  & that hotel  was being offered     price was $519 CAD 

Maybe they  are just waiting  for the later months  before adding the hotel packages .. I do not know 

You are still in econ class  for the flight

I am one of those cheap Canadians  & would not spend  $1000  for 1 nt  hotel 😄

Personal choice

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I looked at the Dec  cruises out of Miami  & that hotel  was being offered     price was $519 CAD 

Maybe they  are just waiting  for the later months  before adding the hotel packages .. I do not know 

You are still in econ class  for the flight

Personal choice

Don't blame you in the least.  At least when cruising on O, you get meals, entertainment, transportation, etc for that daily rate!

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Personal choice.

Cheap Canadian?  I'd guess you're prudent and thrifty!😃

• Like 1

It was suggested to me that staying at an airport hotel in Miami would cost quite a bit less.

They would have a free shuttle from the airport and a cab ride to embarkation the next day would not be very high. We have also done this after arrival in Miami and relax in the hotel overnight to catch an early flight to the west coast the next day rather than chance the ship getting in late and rushing or missing our flight. Consider it an extra vacation day!