Who cruises in January?

12 hours ago, cruisegus said:

Love to cruise January and February out of San Juan, it is our escape from winter cold and snowy weather.  Generally we do a b2b starting in last full week of January and then try to throw in another from Florida or Galveston after we take a weeks break at home.

We absolutely love the Caribbean weather this time of year.  

Being from Alabama you might just be escaping cool weather instead of cold and snow, but I think you  will love it!

Yep, most of our winter cruises have been from San Juan.  We've usually done 2-3 weeks B2B when flying to San Juan, with 3 nights there before and after.  Always warm when you arrive, and more great ports in Southern Caribbean 🙂

Edited by bouhunter

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Yep, most of our winter cruises have been from San Juan.  We've usually done 2-3 weeks B2B when flying to San Juan, with 3 nights there before and after.  Always warm when you arrive, and more great ports in Southern Caribbean 🙂

Tried to do a b2b2b once a number of years ago, even booked it for approx 2 years out while on board,  notified my wife's boss well in advance, not long after booked.  She had and still would have had way more than enough vacation time, But he put a Kabosh to it.  He told her 2 weeks at a time was all she could have.  I helped her review the company leave policy and it did not contain that, just that you had to have enough time to cover absence, told her to tell him it was booked and non-refundable and she was going irrelevant, but she isn't that gutsy.  Good thing we told him right away since if was within the 30 days since we booked on board we could move it with no penalty.  we moved a week out, he wasn't real happy then either but, that has been our paradigm since.

Edited by cruisegus

We only cruise in January because I am a university professor and from WI. January is between my fall and spring semesters and in WI, we want to escape the snow and cold for a bit. We do not see the point in cruising to a warm destination when we have warm weather in WI. We have other places we travel in the summer.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

The weeks between thanksgiving and Christmas, and January/February are some of our favorite times to cruise.  Initially it was because my husband has  fewer gigs that time of year, but it was quickly clear that there are some great deals to be had, and sailing to the Caribbean or Mexico that time of year is lovely.  Our kids are grown, so we no longer need to deal with the school break crowds, bonus!

A few years ago my husband and I did a 10 day Caribbean itinerary on Celebrity that sailed the first week of December. The weather was absolutely perfect. That was one of our favorite cruises. 

• Like 1

We are from the UK so weather for us in January is miserable.

We used to cruise mostly between May and September , but last year (just before covid hit) we went on Jewel out of Dubai.

We absolutely loved it - to escape the horrible British weather in winter was just heaven.

We have booked Grandeur from Barbados in January 2022 and I am now looking at January 2023 - a winter sunshine cruise then another in summer just breaks the year up perfectly!

We mainly cruise in January because of the great deals to be had.  We were on a cruise that had a theme group.  The publicist for the "theme" said the cruise was a floating nursing home. Only other thing is that the weather might be a little chili the first 12-18 hours and the last 12 -18 hours.