Oceania to require proof of vaccination prior to boarding,

GeorgesGal

and my governor, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis is prohibiting vaccine 'passports' for all businesses operating in Florida.  So here's what I'm going to do as soon as I finish this post:  I'm going to send an e-mail and also call Oceania with my COVID19 inoculation information.  This way, O can avoid ASKING for the info, since I am pre-empting that requirement by voluntarily providing it to them in advance.

Perhaps this will be a work-around if everyone booked did the same thing.

(By the way, I don't understand how he can prevent the cruise lines from requiring this information, since the CDC has set percentages of cruisers and crew to be vaccinated.)

Donna

• Like 1

I may have missed this (in which case, apologies) but do we know what actual evidence of vaccination Oceania is going to require?  I'm assuming this will have to be something of a "broad brush" to take account of the various pieces of evidence that different nationalities may have.

For example, the only evidence I have, for my vaccinations in the UK, is a small card issued by our National Health Service, with the dates of vaccination. Presumably travellers for other countries will have a myriad of similar items. It's all but impossible for O's staff to know what is a genuine item and what may have been quite easily forged.

• Thanks 1

Here in the US, we are issued a CDC card with our name, date of birth, vaccine mfg. and vaccine vial numbers, as well as the dates of inoculation.  I assume your NHS card has mostly the name info.  This is the info I forwarded to O.

Donna

Yes, a similar card (although no DoB).

It's the sort of thing, someone with modest skills in graphics would be able to reproduce on their home computer - hence concerns about forgeries.

Surely the world is going to have to agree to some internationally recognised documentation. I know the European Union is working on a digital development to use across its member states and I'm hopeful that the UK will be able to latch on to that somehow, although we're no longer a member of the EU of course..

John

Because I upgraded my cabin on a February  '22 cruise, O sent me a new guest statement that has the following wording:

GUESTS MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED BY 2 WEEKS PRIOR TO CRUISE.

So much for DeSantis and his ridiculous stance on vaccine requirements.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harters said:

I may have missed this (in which case, apologies) but do we know what actual evidence of vaccination Oceania is going to require?  I'm assuming this will have to be something of a "broad brush" to take account of the various pieces of evidence that different nationalities may have.

For example, the only evidence I have, for my vaccinations in the UK, is a small card issued by our National Health Service, with the dates of vaccination. Presumably travellers for other countries will have a myriad of similar items. It's all but impossible for O's staff to know what is a genuine item and what may have been quite easily forged.

If you download the NHS app (not the track and trace one) and input your details then it will provide you with information and a QR code with all your vaccination information. This seems to have been specifically designed with travel in mind. 

4A879D97-3079-4338-A812-15F00846F5EC.jpeg

DF6CE79D-1250-42D2-B0C5-E348151129E5.jpeg

CA3EF991-5649-48CF-BFAC-3F29E0A18B6E.jpeg

4D84408B-DD65-4412-A365-B921C99A7FAB.jpeg

Edited by ToxM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I received a response from Oceania informing me that information will be required during on-line check in.  (I tried to copy and paste it here, but my Xfinity connection is slooowwwinggg down today!)

Donna

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For anyone with a cruise from Miami or other American ports after Oct. 31 none of this matters since the no sail order will have expired. If Oceania chooses continues to sail with 100% vaccinated pax they can set their own parameters for what constitutes proof. They don't have to worry about the CDC or Gov. DeSantis.

I don't care if someone forges a CDC card to get on board.  I'm fully vaccinated, as is my wife.  If the forger starts to show symptoms, O has promulgated their protocol for dealing with this possibility.  The forger and family will be immediately quarantined near the medical center and will be removed from the ship at the next port, with O helping to arrange the forger's return to the port of origination.  There should be little disruption of the cruise for the rest of us who have achieved immunity. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Harters said:

Ours is  a paper receipt  like you get in  a shop

also an email receipt 

I am hoping  our Government here in Canada  has some sort of system  in place for travellers

In a perfect world having the vaccine info attached digitally to our passport would be  good 

But then we have the "against my rights"  camp  here as well

Do hope there is  a Global solution to a Global problem

JMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToxM said:

If you download the NHS app (not the track and trace one) and input your details then it will provide you with information and a QR code with all your vaccination information.

My companion in life has struggled to get this working  and has still not succeeded. Apparently, you have to upload a photo and it keeps failing at that point. Life has intervened and we've had to put that on hold for a little while.  Once it is up and running, it should provide digital evidence. Then it's just a matter of the UK making sure it's acceptable documentation for countries we may wish to visit, etc.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Do hope there is  a Global solution to a Global problem

75% of the vaccine doses administered so far have been into only 10 countries.

Can't see much Global solution thinking being used so far, so I'm not expecting much change throughout this pandemic.

Perhaps we'll all know better when Covid-29 hits.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

75% of the vaccine doses administered so far have been into only 10 countries.

Do you mean fully vaccinated  Countries ?

I'm not sure that there's much certainty about how long immunity lasts once one has been vaccinated.  So, plans will need to be made for boosters or updated vaccinations at some point along the way, too.  I received my vaccinaion at the end of March.  So, if immunity only lasts 6 months, then I need another dose well before the end of the year in order for protection to be continuous.  Will the requirement for passengers and crew to be vaccinated have some sort of time limits associated with them?  I hope that someone is thinking longer term.  

6 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Yes, the CDC order expires 10-31 -- if not extended.  DeSantis' Executive Order does not expire.

I believe you are mistaken,  The Governor’s executive order is not longer active.  The Florida Legislative passed a bill to supersede the executive order and it was approved by the Governor.  
at least this is my understanding. 
i believe the executive order was just a temporary measure until the legislature could meet, develop, and approve legislation.  So it is a Florida law now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Here in the US, we are issued a CDC card with our name, date of birth, vaccine mfg. and vaccine vial numbers, as well as the dates of inoculation.  I assume your NHS card has mostly the name info.  This is the info I forwarded to O.

Donna

That CDC card doesn't show a signature by the agency who administered the shot.  Only shows the facility  name, lot number of the vaccine, and your personal info; in my previous profession in the pharmaceutical industry,  this would not have been valid proof of anything.  Hopefully the facilities have uploaded everyone's info into a master database that has been validated and is retrievable.

Otherwise, the chance for forgery reduces the effectiveness of the CDC card.

But then, if required for entry into a foreign country, not sure whether the "checkers" there will be conscientiousness enough to spot a false card.  Same principle applies to negative testing results that are required prior to entry into the EU.

1 hour ago, Queen of DaNile said:

It is uploaded and available in Florida. You can get a copy of all the vaccines you've received in the state. Shows type, date and provider. Just got one from Publix.

Good to know...but where is the info located?

Edited by nikless

58 minutes ago, nikless said:

Good to know...but where is the info located?

Virtually every state  has an immunization information system (IIS). Information on Florida's system can be found here: http://www.floridahealth.gov/programs-and-services/immunization/Locating-Vaccination-Records/index.html

Edited by njhorseman

3 hours ago, nikless said:

That CDC card doesn't show a signature by the agency who administered the shot.  Only shows the facility  name, lot number of the vaccine, and your personal info; in my previous profession in the pharmaceutical industry,  this would not have been valid proof of anything.  Hopefully the facilities have uploaded everyone's info into a master database that has been validated and is retrievable.

But then, if required for entry into a foreign country, not sure whether the "checkers" there will be conscientiousness enough to spot a false card.  Same principle applies to negative testing results that are required prior to entry into the EU.

Our CDC card is signed by the person who administered the shot so it is signed

40 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Virtually every state  has an immunization information system (IIS). Information on Florida's system can be found here: http://www.floridahealth.gov/programs-and-services/immunization/Locating-Vaccination-Records/index.html

Thanks, but unless I am missing something, that link didn't help.  It tells adults about several places to look, specifically their parents records, school records, etc.  Or contact your health care provider for a tester test....

It does say there is no national database....

4 hours ago, nikless said:

IMO, the "card" is useless and doesn't prove much of anything.  It's too easy to forge and the "cards" are not even uniform. I got both vaccinations at the 2nd largest pharmacy chain in the US (Walgreens).  I didn't receive a "card". I received a piece of paper with Walgreens name on it, not the CDC.  It does have all the pertinent information on it.  Walgreens uploaded the information to my healthcare provider's MyChart and I'll assume that it has been uploaded to my state's DHS.  If a foreign country is going to require proof of vaccination, there is going to have to be a uniform digital record. It's going to be quite interesting to see how all this is going to work.

Just My Opinion.