Thinking of jumping ship!

I am really considering cancelling my RC Allure cruise in  AUG and sailing on Carnival. I am concerned about RC decision about the vaccines. We are all vaccinated and I am not concerned about getting really sick bit of there are quite a few people not vaccinated there is a risk of no having a pleasant cruise. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mavo68 said:

I am really considering cancelling my RC Allure cruise in  AUG and sailing on Carnival. I am concerned about RC decision about the vaccines. We are all vaccinated and I am not concerned about getting really sick bit of there are quite a few people not vaccinated there is a risk of no having a pleasant cruise. 

This is totally understandable.  Even RCI's vaccination story is not very comprehensive.  They keep changing it all the time.  I don't know what Carnival does about kids.  It would seem to me that a lot of their business would be catering to families.  To be fair, I think Royal's 5% of unvaccinated people are supposed to be kids that legally can't be vaccinated right now.  

Still, you have a good point. I just couldn't bring myself to sail on "Carnivore" cruise lines again 🙂  Of course, it's been a long time and may be totally different these days.  It would be interesting to know what they do about families though.  I think that is/was one of their biggest demographics.

Tom

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Well if that's going to ruin your cruise, please jump away to another restricted cruise line.  You'd probably worry yourself sick anyway.

So far both have same policies. July and august from Galveston both show vaccinated. Out of florida rcl said unvaccinated.. carnival hasnt said. Carnival said they would tell horizon out of miami by today, but they didnt. Next week maybe. So carnival has no florida policy. 

Horizon cruises for july onwards still hanging and dont know. 

Out of the pan into the fire...

If you can, I would wait a few weeks to see how things play out.  We are already seeing changes in the last two days. First it was a return to testing by RCI before boarding, and now they’ve added a test within 5 days of arriving in the Bahamas. The protocols for the US sailings are equally likely to be changed.

We are actually reassured by how things have been handled on Celebrity, but our cruise is on AOS, so similar vaccination requirements

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tserface said:

This is totally understandable.  Even RCI's vaccination story is not very comprehensive.  They keep changing it all the time.  I don't know what Carnival does about kids.  It would seem to me that a lot of their business would be catering to families.  To be fair, I think Royal's 5% of unvaccinated people are supposed to be kids that legally can't be vaccinated right now.  

Still, you have a good point. I just couldn't bring myself to sail on "Carnivore" cruise lines again 🙂  Of course, it's been a long time and may be totally different these days.  It would be interesting to know what they do about families though.  I think that is/was one of their biggest demographics.

Tom

I didnt read it myself but I hear John heald says no kids for July or august Galveston cruises. Hes sorry, there will be a later time they can sail

They had a form where you could ask your kid to get excepted ..crashed the site. So I think rather than choosing which kids it's no kids. Of course this could change tomorrow.

Us in sept or florida waiting   no idea. 

And ignore the “if you’re too scared” comments.  No doubt you will get a bunch.  You are the only one that can decide what is right for you, and what your risk tolerance is for what is supposed to be a fun vacation.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

And ignore the “if you’re too scared” comments.  No doubt you will get a bunch.  You are the only one that can decide what is right for you, and what your risk tolerance is for what is supposed to be a fun vacation.

I agree and thanks for pointing this out.  People trying to make smart decisions about the lives of themselves and their families doesn't necessarily mean they are scared.  That said, millions of people have died from this plague so people actually have a right to be scared.

I'm mostly afraid that irresponsible people will cause the good trend bubble we have going on now to burst and cruising will go away again.  I applaud the lines from trying to do the best they can do and it's unfortunate that some states are putting politics above the safety of the people.

Cruising has always been a little risky.  Anytime you get that many people together in one place there are all kinds of things that could go wrong.  You're right.  The reward is worth the risk (for many of us).

Tom

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I didn't read it myself but I hear John Heald says no kids for July or august Galveston cruises. Hes sorry, there will be a later time they can sail

They had a form where you could ask your kid to get excepted ..crashed the site. So I think rather than choosing which kids it's no kids. Of course this could change tomorrow.

Us in sept or Florida waiting   no idea. 

I didn't hear that one yet, but I don't pay much attention to Carnival news.  That's not such a bad policy and if it's true the, I say, score one for Carnival for having integrity.

Tom

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Yes definitely ignoring those comments. 😂 Like I said I am not worried about myself. If I have to wear a mask then so be it. We were to sail last August for our 25th anniversary and our daughters high school graduation. So we really want to celebrate this August. And I know rules will change a lot in two months. I do think celebrity is handling it well but then again it was a vaccinated cruise. I’m taking my chances either way.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, tserface said:

I agree and thanks for pointing this out.  People trying to make smart decisions about the lives of themselves and their families doesn't necessarily mean they are scared.  That said, millions of people have died from this plague so people actually have a right to be scared.

I'm mostly afraid that irresponsible people will cause the good trend bubble we have going on now to burst and cruising will go away again.  I applaud the lines from trying to do the best they can do and it's unfortunate that some states are putting politics above the safety of the people.

Cruising has always been a little risky.  Anytime you get that many people together in one place there are all kinds of things that could go wrong.  You're right.  The reward is worth the risk (for many of us).

Tom

That’s exactly what I am afraid of. People getting angry that they have to wear a mask or getting angry that maybe they were exposed and have to quarantine. You see it daily on the news with people getting angry in stores regarding mask policies etc.

• Like 4

Please ignore the people criticizing your decision.  It amazes me how people don't want to be criticized for their decision not to get the vaccine or not wear a mask, which effects everyone around them, yet will criticize people's decision to be vaccinated and/or wear a mask, which at worst only affects themselves or at best protects others around them.  It makes absolutely no sense.  I am scheduled on a "C" cruise in September, and RCCL in December.  I am hoping for a 100% vaccinated ship in September, if not, I will be in the same position you are in now.  I wish I could help, but I'm not certain what I would do myself right now.  Based on the fact that RCCL seems to be trying to make it expensive and less pleasant for unvaccinated people, I think I would probably go and just try to avoid crowds as much as possible and make myself not worry, but I'm not sure.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mavo68 said:

That’s exactly what I am afraid of. People getting angry that they have to wear a mask or getting angry that maybe they were exposed and have to quarantine. You see it daily on the news with people getting angry in stores regarding mask policies etc.

I don't think I would worry about that.  I am sure they will be well prepared for that, and not only can they lock people in their cabins, they actually have a brig (jail) onboard.  And those people would be gone at the next port.

19 minutes ago, mavo68 said:

Yes definitely ignoring those comments. 😂 Like I said I am not worried about myself. If I have to wear a mask then so be it. We were to sail last August for our 25th anniversary and our daughters high school graduation. So we really want to celebrate this August. And I know rules will change a lot in two months. I do think celebrity is handling it well but then again it was a vaccinated cruise. I’m taking my chances either way.

I get it — I booked our AOS cruise based on the vaccine protocol, as well as the overall plan for Covid that RCCL presented.  We opted to upgrade to a suite so that we could have meals delivered in, and have a nice cabin if we needed up having to quarantine.  When it was first announced that RCCL wasn’t going to require adults to vaccinate, we considered switching to NCL (which is our usual go to line).  We decided to wait and see how things went, but then RCCL made it clear the AOS cruises are still adult vaccine required, so no tough call for me.  But if they had changed the protocols, we would be in your place — not sure if we wanted to deal with the added risk of disruption and potential passenger behavior masking could trigger.  

Happy 25th —- now upcoming 26th!  It’s a happy milestone, as well as the graduation 🙂. We were fortunate to celebrate ours a couple years ago on the Ruby Princess with family and friends.   Hope you are able to have the celebration you dream of 🎉

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

If you're that scared of a cruise getting cut short, then you probably shouldn't cruise at all, 100% vaccinated or not

Agree, if Worried or High Risk OP should cancel. Mother is High Risk and I'd never take her on Cruise even w/o Covid issue. Changes will happen all Summer-Fall and on, Mask/Not, Vaccination required or not. Even with most required might have UnVax with Kids, Medical and know one line was even talking about Religious Exceptions. At some point in future Vaccines won't be required on any ship. Me, I'd be Board tomorrow except my B4B canceled months ago...

• Like 1

Just to clarify, only vista and breeze out of Galveston for july and august and miracle to alaska have been deemed vaccinated cruises by carnival. 

Unless you are willing to fly to Houston or seattle, wait for the protocols. Just dont make assumptions is all I'm saying. I do expect my sept and oct cruises to be vaccinated but the policy isnt announced. 

All cruiselines have good and bad. For sure I'll have a lot bigger cabin on carnival lol. 

Just now, Tree_skier said:

Enjoy Carnival, I heard their hamburgers were better. 🙂 

Omg true, I love guys burgers. Rcl doesnt have a good hamburger imo. But dont read the calorie count.

But I like the other lunch venues too better. Shows better on rcl. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Just to clarify, only vista and breeze out of Galveston for july and august and miracle to alaska have been deemed vaccinated cruises by carnival. 

Unless you are willing to fly to Houston or seattle, wait for the protocols. Just dont make assumptions is all I'm saying. I do expect my sept and oct cruises to be vaccinated but the policy isnt announced. 

All cruiselines have good and bad. For sure I'll have a lot bigger cabin on carnival lol. 

Actually they have said all their July cruises will be 100% vaccinated, no kids.  Apparently they will decide about August later.

36 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Actually they have said all their July cruises will be 100% vaccinated, no kids.  Apparently they will decide about August later.

Well actually that is still only breeze, vista and miracle. ..if you did a bit, the 4th ship is horizon, which they said protocols would come out today, june 11th, but were put off again. If you wantmi can find some announcements. ..but since you seem to know, name another carnival ship that is vaccinated. 

Only 4 were originally scheduled for july, though actually they cancelled thru the 30th, and I see a few leaving the 31th. ..but protocols will be forthcoming. Let's work backwards, name another vaccinated ship scheduled for July. The thread on carnival cant wait for tomorrow is someone booked on horizon. Protocols on vaccinated or not were said to be today, but didnt come. That was the only ship of original 4 out of florida. 

I do see they say they plan to do vaccinated cruises July and august, but then they keep leaving horizon hanging if they will cruise. Many think carnival hoped for a court outcome yesterday so they could say yes or no... wait for confirmation imo

Plan to sail and yes we will sail vaccinated from florida arent the same. Why else keep horizon hanging?

Edited by firefly333

2 hours ago, mavo68 said:

I understand how you feel.  As everything is changing day by day maybe hang in there till July.

I personally am not a fan of carnival.

Who knows things with carnival could change too

For those who think carnival has decided on a florida policy .. read this thread from someone booked on horizon, the first carnival Florida ship scheduled. 

Idk where the announcement is that they were supposed to hear today ..but nope they didnt, still hanging. This post was late yesterday afternoon. Clearly they do not know! 

20210611_201731912.jpeg

52 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well actually that is still only breeze, vista and miracle. ..if you did a bit, the 4th ship is horizon, which they said protocols would come out today, june 11th, but were put off again. If you wantmi can find some announcements. ..but since you seem to know, name another carnival ship that is vaccinated. 

Only 4 were originally scheduled for july, though actually they cancelled thru the 30th, and I see a few leaving the 31th. ..but protocols will be forthcoming. Let's work backwards, name another vaccinated ship scheduled for July. The thread on carnival cant wait for tomorrow is someone booked on horizon. Protocols on vaccinated or not were said to be today, but didnt come. That was the only ship of original 4 out of florida. 

I do see they say they plan to do vaccinated cruises July and august, but then they keep leaving horizon hanging if they will cruise. Many think carnival hoped for a court outcome yesterday so they could say yes or no... wait for confirmation imo

Plan to sail and yes we will sail vaccinated from florida arent the same. Why else keep horizon hanging?

Here is a news story about it, there have also been videos and press releases announcing this:

Carnival said it plans to operate its August sailings with passengers who have received the COVID-19 vaccine, as it previously announced for its July sailings from Florida, Texas and Washington.

That could put the cruise line in conflict with Florida’s ban on so-called “vaccine passports.”

In other ship deployment announcements on Thursday, Carnival said:

• Carnival Sunrise will enter service from Miami, effective Aug. 14, sailing four- and five-day cruises to the Bahamas and Caribbean.
  • Carnival Panorama will enter service from Long Beach, California, on Aug. 21, sailing seven-day Mexican Riviera cruises.
  • Carnival Vista and Breeze (from Galveston, Texas), Carnival Horizon (from Miami) and Carnival Miracle (from Seattle to Alaska) will continue with their cruises through August that are part of the line’s previously announced restart plans in July.
  • Carnival said it “has extended its pause” for other ships through Aug. 31 as follows: Carnival Pride (Baltimore), Carnival Sunshine (Charleston, South Carolina), Carnival Dream (Galveston), Carnival Ecstasy (Jacksonville), Carnival Conquest (Miami), Carnival Sensation (Mobile, Alabama), Carnival Glory (New Orleans) and Carnival Liberty (Port Canaveral).