Proof of vaccination validation

lowses

What protocols are Cruise lines following to insure guests are vaccinated? What documentation is required and how is it being validated?

If states like Florida are prohibiting vaccine certifications, how are Floridians allowed to embark?

How do recent covid cases on board (Eg MSC and Celebrity) happen when passengers must be fully vaccinated two weeks in advance of sailing an are tested at embarkation?

Having endured a total lockdown/confinement to cabins for 6 days aboard the Grand Princess last March, I am concerned the PR/Marketting departments are putting too rosy a spin on passenger life on board.

• Thanks 1

Only one ship has sailed from Florida at this point, and I believe it was a test cruise. The Celebrity and MSC cruises, I am pretty sure, didn't sail from Florida.

No vaccine is absolutely100% perfect. There is a very small chance of getting Covid after being vaccinated, but is highly likely you will have a very mild case, and possibly not even know you have Covid, as you have no symptoms.

There are many discussions here on the various aspects of Covid, and some reading would be very beneficial. But as essentially, no ships have sailed from the US, there is no current and actual experience. The "rosy outlook" of cruise line marketing departments has to do with long histories of issues like Noro and similar and efforts to contain them. Read the threads on the Celebrity issues...you will see a detailed, well thought out response. At this point in Covid, and the management of epidemics, a key part is rapid detection, isolation and treatment of new cases. The Celebrity incidents looks like they appropriately reacted. This is the way you control epidemics.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lowses said:

What protocols are Cruise lines following to insure guests are vaccinated? What documentation is required and how is it being validated?

If states like Florida are prohibiting vaccine certifications, how are Floridians allowed to embark?

How do recent covid cases on board (Eg MSC and Celebrity) happen when passengers must be fully vaccinated two weeks in advance of sailing an are tested at embarkation?

Having endured a total lockdown/confinement to cabins for 6 days aboard the Grand Princess last March, I am concerned the PR/Marketting departments are putting too rosy a spin on passenger life on board.

Viking have completed 3 cruises out of UK and will shortly be starting in Bermuda, Iceland and Malta. They require 100% vaccinations and have employed a verification service - VeriFLY. This vendor is also used by a number of airlines.

You upload whatever vaccination records you have and they endeavour to verify the information. Once verified, they advise the cruise line that they have verified the vaccination status.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Only one ship has sailed from Florida at this point, and I believe it was a test cruise. The Celebrity and MSC cruises, I am pretty sure, didn't sail from Florida.

No vaccine is absolutely100% perfect. There is a very small chance of getting Covid after being vaccinated, but is highly likely you will have a very mild case, and possibly not even know you have Covid, as you have no symptoms.

There are many discussions here on the various aspects of Covid, and some reading would be very beneficial. But as essentially, no ships have sailed from the US, there is no current and actual experience. The "rosy outlook" of cruise line marketing departments has to do with long histories of issues like Noro and similar and efforts to contain them. Read the threads on the Celebrity issues...you will see a detailed, well thought out response. At this point in Covid, and the management of epidemics, a key part is rapid detection, isolation and treatment of new cases. The Celebrity incidents looks like they appropriately reacted. This is the way you control epidemics.

Hi Bruce🙂 Celebrity's "Millennium" just returned (today) from its first cruise but she did sail out of St Martin and everyone was vaccinated. The big news on that cruise was.......2 people tested positive for the virus on Thursday. Both guests were asymptomatic.

As for Florida cruises? News keeps changing on when/if any ships will be sailing from here......

Who will blink first? Will the protocols change?  It is just hurry up and wait to see what happens.

• Thanks 1

best  action would be to have proof of covid vaccine digitally attached to your passport  as some Countries do for  VISAs

OOPS  no passport  ...no cruise

Or maybe  they could just banned pax from States where   you are not required to show  your proof

like when they banned all people from Asian Countries at the start of this pandemic

I prefer the ships  are able to screen pax & sail with those that are fully vaccinated

YMMV

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Whether asked or not...

I will personally be volunteering to show my certification.

I'll be travelling with all possible documentation, to show my cruise line.
I have nothing to hide.

Real privacy hasn't existed in 10-20 yrs. now
so I'm finding the obsession difficult to deal with, over today's health reality.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Whether asked or not...

I have nothing to hide.

so I'm finding the obsession difficult to deal with, over today's health reality.

Yes, I'd hate to be turned away when I have the proof at home!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Whether asked or not...

I have nothing to hide.

But what are we talking about when we mention "certification" or "proof"?  Unless it is something very different from the cards given at the time of vaccination, it will show very little. They are too easy to counterfeit -- and anyone who is willing to put his luddite fear of vaccination ahead of his obligation to assist his fellow humans contain a pandemic will have no qualms about lying to get on cruise ship.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Maybe they could do that thing where they stick a key on people’s head; if it sticks they are magnetic and vaccinated. 

13 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Particularly the aluminum keys...

Or, spoon on the nose.   

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Or, spoon on the nose.   

This is no joke.  A quack in Ohio, Sherri Tenpenny, testified to the Ohio House that vaccinated people have become "magnetized."  

“I’m sure you’ve seen the pictures all over the Internet of people who have had these shots and now they’re magnetized,” Tenpenny said. “They can put a key on their forehead. It sticks. They can put spoons and forks all over them and they can stick, because now we think that there’s a metal piece to that.”

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

This is no joke.  A quack in Ohio, Sherri Tenpenny, testified to the Ohio House that vaccinated people have become "magnetized."  

“I’m sure you’ve seen the pictures all over the Internet of people who have had these shots and now they’re magnetized,” Tenpenny said. “They can put a key on their forehead. It sticks. They can put spoons and forks all over them and they can stick, because now we think that there’s a metal piece to that.”

I think just about anything Tenpenny says is a joke.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am for making it as easy as possible for the traveler.   I  have a covid vaccination card for both my DH and myself, I am okay showing it.   Beyond that I think is too much.

Cruise lines need to recognize if they make it too complicated it will discourage travelers from booking.    Cruise need to get back to operation like many other businesses.

I would be more concerned about flying than cruising, being stuffed in  to over crowded airplanes.  My concerns here are such that I plan to fly business in the future.  

I trust the vaccinations work and am willing to travel with a minimum of proof. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

This is no joke.  A quack in Ohio,

Sherri Tenpenny, testified to the Ohio House

that vaccinated people have become "magnetized."  

“I’m sure you’ve seen the pictures all over the Internet

of people who have had these shots and now they’re magnetized,” Tenpenny said.

“They can put a key on their forehead. It sticks.

They can put spoons and forks all over them and they can stick,

because now we think that there’s a metal piece to that.”

I saw this ^

and investigated Microchip implant devices.

They seem to be about 12 mm. long (half-inch)

and 2 mm. in dia.

That would require a bore dia. of the injection needle

to be on the order of 2.2 mm. minimum.... if not 2.5 mm.

Which would require an outer dia. of the needle

to be around 4.5 mm. if not bigger.

When you see Nursey coming at you with that, you RUN, OK?

More interesting microchip implant info here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(human)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

I saw this ^

and investigated Microchip implant devices.

They seem to be about 12 mm. long (half-inch)

and 2 mm. in dia.

That would require a bore dia. of the injection needle

to be on the order of 2.2 mm. minimum.... if not 2.5 mm.

Which would require an outer dia. of the needle

to be around 4.5 mm. if not bigger.

When you see Nursey coming at you with that, you RUN, OK?

More interesting microchip implant info here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(human)

And the internal diameter of the 22 gauge needle...largest typically used for injections like this, is .33mm. So 1/7th the size of the microchip.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

And the internal diameter of the 22 gauge needle...largest typically used for injections like this, is .33mm. So 1/7th the size of the microchip.

Bit of a tight fit, huh!! lol

Did you try the magnet on your arm, over the injection sight?

Did it stick? Mine didn't = big disappointment................ lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's ridiculous. Not to mention that enough vaccine comes in each vial for a little over 6 injections, so it would have to be 6 microchips per vial and the microchips would have to be smart enough to detect a needle and decide which microchip should go into each injection being drawn from the vial. Otherwise, if chips were in the vaccine, people would receive random numbers of microchips - 1 to 6 microchips each and some would receive none at all. The whole idea is completely absurd and technically impossible.  

Where I live, early on, they were combining the leftover vaccine from several vials to give an extra injection because demand for the vaccine was so great.  I know this happened all over the US. That alone should have been enough to be a wakeup call to those who believe this nonsense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuiteTraveler said:

It's ridiculous. Not to mention that enough vaccine comes in each vial for a little over 6 injections, so it would have to be 6 microchips per vial and the microchips would have to be smart enough to detect a needle and decide which microchip should go into each injection being drawn from the vial. Otherwise, if chips were in the vaccine, people would receive random numbers of microchips - 1 to 6 microchips each and some would receive none at all. The whole idea is completely absurd and technically impossible.  

Where I live, early on, they were combining the leftover vaccine from several vials to give an extra injection because demand for the vaccine was so great.  I know this happened all over the US. That alone should have been enough to be a wakeup call to those who believe this nonsense.

Pfizer and J&J have 5 doses minimum, up to 7. Moderna has 10, possible 12 or 13.

Keep up with the conspiracy theories. The chip is pre-loaded in the syringe, so only one chip per person,  until you consider the two dose vaccines. 

Micro chips in the vaccine? Magnetization after being vaccinated? A certain state's governor boasting about about how open his state is due to no Covid 19 restrictions while at the same time threatening one of the state's largest industry with fines?

The only explanation is that we are in a Discworld novel by Terry Pratchett.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Micro chips in the vaccine? Magnetization after being vaccinated? A certain state's governor boasting about about how open his state is due to no Covid 19 restrictions while at the same time threatening one of the state's largest industry with fines?

The only explanation is that we are in a Discworld novel by Terry Pratchett.

Shades of Ankh-Morpork!

OP, the Public Health Officer in Ottawa was asked this very question last night on the evening news.  Her response was that if you received a second dose of an interchangeable vaccine that you would be considered fully vaccinated in Canada.  No one knows how other countries will respond to this situation.

Because of this I will decline if I am offered a different vaccine for my second dose.

Also keep in mind that not every country is staggering the time between doses like Canada and several other countries are.  It is quite possible that some countries may deem you not fully vaccinated if your vaccination schedule did not follow the manufacturer's recommendation.  

Until there is a global agreement on vaccine passports we will have to be patient and wait for the best.

• Like 1