NCL Epic weird cabin layout??

Krydstosser

On 6/14/2021 at 7:00 AM, Krydstosser said:

That hotel room with the window to the bathtub 🤪 

That was not just the tub but the entire bathroom exposed to the rest of the room. There is also a sink and toilet in there. Seriously???????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, coffeebean said:

That was not just the tub but the entire bathroom exposed to the rest of the room. There is also a sink and toilet in there. Seriously???????

Some people like that kind of thing. Don't judge. 😄🤣😉

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2021 at 6:42 AM, Oakman58 said:

Things could always be worse ya know.  😄

240840624_20170401_044203-Copy.thumb.jpg.a20a392dfe49857420090efca1a9c4a8.jpg

Is that room in Singapore?   There is a fully blocking shutter on the bathroom side of that mirror.

On 6/14/2021 at 12:37 PM, graphicguy said:

GF and I sailed in a balcony cabin on the EPIC within the first year of it being launched.  I remember us doing quite a bit of research about it.

At the time, it was hailed as very innovated, which it was.  I believe they had just introduced "Freestyle" innovations.  We saw really Vegas style entertainment (i.e. Blue Man Group).

The cabins were indeed innovative, allowing for separate use of the sink, the commode and the shower, simultaneously if you desired.

EPIC introduced the "Ship within a Ship" concept with the HAVEN.

It was a "blueprint" ship.  Not sure it was ever intended to be duplicated. But, you can see many of those innovations in their other ships, including the -Away ships and certainly the more recent ships they've brought out.

It was touted as a Kevin Sheehan (previous CEO of NCL) vehicle.  When Kevin was forced out (for unclear and dubious reasons), they scuttled some of what he pioneered.

Just a few clarifications on this, and the post you quoted.

The Epic was originally planned to be one of 3, but the other two were cancelled. This was nothing to do with customer reaction, as the other two were cancelled in 2008 (the third was actually only ever an option) whereas the Epic wasn’t launched until 2010. Whilst I don’t know the details I suspect it was more to do with issues between NCL and the builders rather than the design itself.

As stated elsewhere, it was the Breakaway which was closely associated with Kevin Sheehan. He became CEO in 2008, two years after the Epic was ordered and around the time that the other two were cancelled.

You are absolutely correct about the Epic being a kind of blueprint for what was to come later. Before Epic there was a Haven and freestyle, but they both significantly changed from this point with more Haven facilities (restaurant) and bigger shows plus alternative entertainment venues.

The Epic is probably my least favourite NCL ship (although we have our 5th trip booked, so we clearly still like it). My main issue with the Epic is the lack of decent outside walking areas and that many of the things that it introduced like the alternative entertainment venues are better on the later ships.

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Just a few clarifications on this, and the post you quoted.

The Epic was originally planned to be one of 3, but the other two were cancelled. This was nothing to do with customer reaction, as the other two were cancelled in 2008 (the third was actually only ever an option) whereas the Epic wasn’t launched until 2010. Whilst I don’t know the details I suspect it was more to do with issues between NCL and the builders rather than the design itself.

As stated elsewhere, it was the Breakaway which was closely associated with Kevin Sheehan. He became CEO in 2008, two years after the Epic was ordered and around the time that the other two were cancelled.

You are absolutely correct about the Epic being a kind of blueprint for what was to come later. Before Epic there was a Haven and freestyle, but they both significantly changed from this point with more Haven facilities (restaurant) and bigger shows plus alternative entertainment venues.

The Epic is probably my least favourite NCL ship (although we have our 5th trip booked, so we clearly still like it). My main issue with the Epic is the lack of decent outside walking areas and that many of the things that it introduced like the alternative entertainment venues are better on the later ships.

Thanks.  Good summation!

I actually want to sail her, again.  It’s been 10+ years since I’ve been on her.  I understand she’s been changed and refurbished.  Plus, while I didn’t stay in the Haven when I sailed, I do hear it has one of the best Havens in the NCL stable.

Edited by graphicguy

The wave wall on the Epic make the balcony cabins feel small.  When we had a balcony cabin on the Breakaway it felt spacious compared to the Epic.  Here are a couple of pics, both cabins had the bed by the balcony.

THE EPIC

IMG_9991_1.thumb.jpg.393e9073f4285b892237ad13baf5c99b.jpg

THE BREAKAWAY.

IMG_3085_1.thumb.jpg.f72d79c030cc38185e9935f0d8004985.jpg

Edited by Oakman58

On 6/13/2021 at 8:21 AM, WarfRatWA said:

If your willing to spend a few extra bucks, check out the Haven on the Epic.  The Haven bathrooms are the traditional variety.  Plus they just did a major refurb in the Haven and it looks really good.

We booked the H9 Spa Haven on Epic for 9/29 sailing for Rome.  It's total 5K for 2.  I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending the extra for the Haven since it's 7 night port intensive cruise.  What did they refurb in Haven on the Epic?

10 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

We booked the H9 Spa Haven on Epic for 9/29 sailing for Rome.  It's total 5K for 2.  I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending the extra for the Haven since it's 7 night port intensive cruise.  What did they refurb in Haven on the Epic?

I understand the Haven proper and rooms included had a substantial refurb.  Not much info out there til the first sailing.  The NCL pics of the rooms have a very Prima look to them.  The Epic Haven is, I think, the largest Haven in the fleet, at least right now.  The Posh Beach club (The Epic's Haven sun deck) gets pretty good reviews.  I have never sailed on the Epic, but I booked an H6 next summer specifically because of the refurb.  Looking forward to what people have to say about it.  Perhaps you'll fill us in upon your return.

Here is a thread with some info and pictures.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2778859-details-on-the-all-new-haven-on-the-epic-post-covid-complete-refurbishment-of-all-haven-areas/

Edited by WarfRatWA

Epic bathroom setup - YUCK.

In a tiny hotel in Copenhagen, the round shower was glass top to bottom, with just a frosted stripe from about knee to shoulder level.  It formed the wall between the bathroom and tiny sleeping area.   Woke up with my nose inches from the view of DH's hairy, soapy behind pressed to the glass as he washed his feet.   THAT image will haunt me forever!

• Haha 5

On 6/17/2021 at 12:33 AM, taylortime05 said:

Depends if it's worth it to you. Some might say at that price and for a port intensity cruise it won't be. Others will say yes. 

We done that cruise on the epic with the same cabin. I must say we didn't use the spa as often as previous on a less port intensity cruise. But I do know others who did go to the spa after being in port all day.

Personally we like sailing in the Haven. Having that retreat away from the crowds was nice. Having a concierge to look after us with bookings and if there were tenders we didn't have queue. We rarely used posh even though we are allowed to go there.

It looks like the renovation is for the haven areas and also the cabins. So I'm guessing you will be in a fresh up cabin especially in a haven spa suite as the layout will be more like the other breakaway ships ie the bed is not the centre of the room but along the wall. 

Which cabin are you in? Cabin 14151 has the biggest balcony due to the ship structure. You can get two sun loungers, two chairs and a table and still have plenty of room. Cabin 14149's balcony is slightly smaller and then the rest are standard.

For the price you paid, for me that's fair.

On 6/14/2021 at 12:37 PM, graphicguy said:

It was touted as a Kevin Sheehan (previous CEO of NCL) vehicle.  When Kevin was forced out (for unclear and dubious reasons), they scuttled some of what he pioneered.

Colin Veitch was the one responsible for the Epic. It was such a disaster he got kicked out half way through the build.  Kevin Sheehan was hired to try and fix the mess.

The breakway class were Kevein Sheehan's ships.

22 hours ago, Yinster said:

Depends if it's worth it to you. Some might say at that price and for a port intensity cruise it won't be. Others will say yes. 

We done that cruise on the epic with the same cabin. I must say we didn't use the spa as often as previous on a less port intensity cruise. But I do know others who did go to the spa after being in port all day.

Personally we like sailing in the Haven. Having that retreat away from the crowds was nice. Having a concierge to look after us with bookings and if there were tenders we didn't have queue. We rarely used posh even though we are allowed to go there.

It looks like the renovation is for the haven areas and also the cabins. So I'm guessing you will be in a fresh up cabin especially in a haven spa suite as the layout will be more like the other breakaway ships ie the bed is not the centre of the room but along the wall. 

Which cabin are you in? Cabin 14151 has the biggest balcony due to the ship structure. You can get two sun loungers, two chairs and a table and still have plenty of room. Cabin 14149's balcony is slightly smaller and then the rest are standard.

For the price you paid, for me that's fair.

Thank you for the info.  We're in cabin 14133.  It was the last H9 left.  It looks like they removed the hot tub from the H9 cabins.  

On 6/16/2021 at 6:33 PM, taylortime05 said:

Wow.. you got a great deal!!  I would keep that; $5k for 2 in a Spa Haven (a regular balcony is not that much less) .. the next up available Haven; as of  now, is over $7K. If you turn that cabin in, it will be gone in a second and probably more $$.  

I heard they re-updated most of Epic Haven, including the deck area -  Sept/Oct in the Med you should still be able to enjoy it. Lucky you!

( If you do go, please post new Haven pics. Also the spa, if they did any updates. It would be so appreciated!! )

But it is your choice and your vacation, do what you feel most comfortable. Have a Wonderful Cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys!

Just heard that the Joy, Jewel and Pride was canceled do you know about Epic in the Mediterranean?

is too optimistic to believe that it will sail in september....🙈 

I am danish so do not mind my spelling 😂  

8 minutes ago, Trimone said:

I’m booked on the 1st cruise on the Epic on September 5th, I can’t see any problems in Europe most of the cancellations are in the Caribbean with the politics of Miami and the CDC…

I heard that NCL have some problems with hiring skilled/trained crew in time.... that should be the main reason for the cancelation... 

I think every business is in the same situation after lockdown, also the U.K. leaving the EU hasn’t helped, I think the demographic for the Mediterranean will be different, mostly Eastern European staff they are on the doorstep.

29 minutes ago, Trimone said:

I think every business is in the same situation after lockdown, also the U.K. leaving the EU hasn’t helped, I think the demographic for the Mediterranean will be different, mostly Eastern European staff they are on the doorstep.

I hope you are right on this... we need a cruise so much 😂

2 hours ago, Trimone said:

I can’t see any problems in Europe most of the cancellations are in the Caribbean with the politics of Miami and the CDC…

Not quite .... the  Dawn WAS scheduled for an E Med itinerary during Oct/Nov.  Cancelled.

Looks like the EPIC is the only NCL ship scheduled in the Med at this point.   Whether it gets cancelled or not is the big question. My personal guess is that it will sail as long as there isn't a big Covid outbreak on a ship this summer.

We were on the Epic for the W Med cruise in 2019. Fantastic time!  Hope it all works out for you. 

43 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Not quite .... the  Dawn WAS scheduled for an E Med itinerary during Oct/Nov.  Cancelled.

Looks like the EPIC is the only NCL ship scheduled in the Med at this point.   Whether it gets cancelled or not is the big question. My personal guess is that it will sail as long as there isn't a big Covid outbreak on a ship this summer.

We were on the Epic for the W Med cruise in 2019. Fantastic time!  Hope it all works out for you. 

You also have the Getaway sailing the Greek isles also my PCC is going on a test cruise on the Jade in July.

We have done the Epic cruise before, also we did the same itinerary with P&O…we have our fingers crossed?